Go Back   Surfing Dirt Mountainboard Forum > Mountain Board Talk > Surfing Dirt Main Forum

Old 02-15-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
CowboyDan

CowboyDan could use some props yo
Default MBS Comp16Pro vs. TRAMPA 35S

Hey guys, I'm looking to get into mountainboarding and I've found two used boards I'm interested in.. an MBS Comp16Pro (blue graphic) and a Trampa 35 short (unsure of ply) with dirt theory trucks/bindings.

I've never ridden a mountainboard, but I have snowboarded and raced boardercross for a few years now so I'm hoping the transition will be smooth. I'm keen on freestyling at the skate park or in the streets, but I would like to be able to do a bit of dirt track riding either at mountainboard events or just heading down to the local BMX track, since in the snow boardercross is my favourite discipline.. but convenience will probably dictate that I spend most of my time at the skate park..

Which would you go for? I'm 6' and weigh 200 pounds, would the trampa be a bit flexible for me? I was thinking the longer MBS might also be more stable at speed and as far as I can tell the trucks are much better on the MBS..

thanks guys
CowboyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
CowboyDan

I've read there are lots of different models in the comp16 so here is a pic:

And here is the trampa:

Any chance of telling what ply the board is from that? Or is it written on the board somewhere so I can ask the guy? I found a post from the guy he bought it from saying he was selling it because 'its a little bit flexy for my liking' ... and he's 70kg..

thanks lads
Old 02-16-2011, 01:00 AM   #3
angrysurfer

angrysurfer could use some props yo

I'd have the comp 16 any day of the week, if you ignore the deck then every single component on the mbs is better-lighter wheels, adjustable trucks, better bindings.

The deck is debatable, some people prefer trampas but I think most people would go for the comp deck.

Easy decision if theyre similar prices!
angrysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:42 AM   #4
Roger knockhill

Roger knockhill Can probably power slide now

im a trampa rider but if i was to pick between the two i would go with the mbs,
at 6 foot your too tall for the short trampa
Roger knockhill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:47 AM   #5
ade_mcc
is currently unsponsored

ade_mcc Can probably power slide now

In this instance, unless the trampa is an absolute steal, I'd go for the MBS and probably a stiffer set of egg shocks/dampas. Worse case scenario is that the deck is a little floppy, but by that time you can replace it with similar deck or upgrade as necessary. You could even change to a trampa deck and keep all your other components the same.
Even if you have any issues with any of the other components, they should be easy to source and cheap to replace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ade_mcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
CowboyDan

Thanks for the input guys - roger i think you're right, I measured out 690mm on the floor (the trampa's fold-to-fold length) and it felt REALLY short. I snowboard with a fairly wide stance so yeah I think it might be on the short side.

They're both asking $300aud, is this a reasonable price for a comp16? I can't find much to compare it to..

thanks
Old 02-16-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
silver shredder

silver shredder could use some props yo

the trampa will be a bit floppy with the trucks set where they are.
moving them nearer the crease will stiffen it up.
silver shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:10 AM   #8
Hobo Boarder

Hobo Boarder could use some props yo

Without a doubt the MBS. Had the same board for 4 years and loved it. Perfect for a beginner to learn on and also develop their skills to an intermediate level. Before the MBS Pro 16 Leon Robbins boards came out in 2005 this comp 16 was the best set up on the market.
Hobo Boarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #9
CowboyDan

Sweet, that's what I ended up going for... Should arrive on monday
Old 02-20-2011, 10:33 PM   #10
CowboyDan

Hey guys board got here a couple of hours ago... spent an hour or so playing around in the backyard, the only thing I'm disappointed with is nose/tail presses are HARD lol. I can press on a snowboard good but having trouble with this.. oh well more practice

the board itself seems pretty good, it needs a clean and the deck's a bit scratched up from use but other than that it's pretty sweet, the only major thing is the tyres are trashed (2 of them are splitting in the middle) so I need new ones, any recommendations? Should I just go with a set of MBS tyres or considering they're $50 a set is there something better out there?

thanks guys!
Old 02-21-2011, 12:15 AM   #11
The 6th degree
aka Chris

The 6th degree Can probably power slide now

I love my GI Maks - great grip and they last longer than T1's...
The 6th degree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:32 AM   #12
CowboyDan

thanks that's the second recommendation for the Mak's I've heard.. might go with them

Can you point me in the direction of a decent online retailer? I can't seem to find a good site, they're either REALLY expensive (e.g. $99 for MBS tires vs. $49 on the MBS site) or they're more interested in kites so don't carry a very big range.. there's a few other things I want so it'd be good to save on shipping and get it all from one mob.

plus I like window shopping

thanks
Old 02-21-2011, 02:46 AM   #13
The 6th degree
aka Chris

The 6th degree Can probably power slide now

Hmm...just tried looking for some on GI's site and cant find them. Try hitting up DirtDave on the forum....
The 6th degree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:51 AM   #14
CowboyDan

Yeah I didn't find them on the site either, found them at one or two online shops but I can't get MBS gear through those sites..

shipping to australia adds up it'd be ideal if I could get it all in one box

I sent GI an email tho and I asked if I could get MBS to post the truck tops to them so maybe that'll work

Last edited by CowboyDan; 02-21-2011 at 02:54 AM.