Best of the Alps

Post, review and find ride spots in your area.

Moderator: BgSurfer

Brennig

Best of the Alps

Post by Brennig » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:51 am

A mountain boarders heaven. Ski lifts and miles of track. Does anyone have any good tracks and locations to share? I know a few of you peeps have been there. I'm hoping to go over for a week next year with the board, probably Inssbruck. More ski lifts than anywhere else, cheap accommodation and easy to get to. Got a few 6+ milers lined up.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Ian@KentATB

Post by Ian@KentATB » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:03 pm

http://www.hufton.eclipse.co.uk/kentatb2/alps.html

Should give you a good starting point.
[align=center][font=Impact]www.kentatb.com

[font=Courier New][color=DarkGreen][size=134]Freeriding - it's a monk's life
[/font][/SIZE][/color][/font][/align]

Ian@KentATB

Post by Ian@KentATB » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:05 pm

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:43 pm

Awesome, good read. Thank you Monsieur Grumpy!

Anyone been to Chamonix? I'm lloking for the cheapest possible week and I don't drive. Estimated Innsbruck to around £350 for a week.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

fenboy

Post by fenboy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:16 am

I did courcheval this summer with pleisure holidays, awesome guys £240 for accommodation breakfast packed lunch and dinner with wine :D and they even guided us round the mountain taking us off in the mini bus to the top of the runs then meet us several km down at the bottom of the run. Never rode the same run twice, we even finished the day off with a road run from one resort to the other had a guy on the front on a bike leading the way a few boarders then the minibus behind us with hazard lights on hogging the road stopping any crazy French motorists from trying to pass, best week ever!

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:12 am

I've ridden courcheval with the pleisure guys, chamonix, pleney (italy), tignes (france), Morzine (france), Bardonecchia (italy) and a few in between.
For most riding for your money it has to be courcheval or tignes. Courch obviously has a great scene as the pleisure guys are legends, very helpful, make a great lasagne and serve a brutal pint of Mutzig. Courch has a load of firetrack, a bit of singletrack (although the mountainbike scene is picking up) and probably the best run in the world that i've ridden - Grand Carrey. It's like riding a british woodland freeride except it's steeper, turnier and just keeps going and going. Courch is worth it for that track alone. If you get the lift right to the top then you can link runs into an 18-mile (36k) jelly-leg making all-day ride. The feeling of dropping something that long without going back up is amazing.
Tignes has loads of runs all compressed into a small area. If you want lots of singletrack and quick easy travel back up it's a great resort, the problems are accommodation is expensive and the police keep finding you when you're stealth camping. Canyon bikes were doing an offer the last few years for free summer lift passes which sealed the deal for us. Some brilliant terrain, but not as friendly or varied as courch in my opinion.
I've ridden near chamonix. Irish Dave (Stompy) lives in a van in Argentieres so we went to see him for a bit. Rode from a lift at Le Tour which was a giggle but not the best. Could do with more exploring but being Chamonix everything is incredibly expensive, if you're trying to save cash i'd stay away.
Morzine and Pleney were amazing but 1 run wonders. You wouldn't want to be at either place for more than a few days as your body wouldn't take it, and if it's wet forget it, the braking ruts from the bikes kill the run on a board.
It's also worth trying to find out wether you'll be allowed to ride where you plan to go. We've turned up at a few resorts and been told to sod off straight away. The noSno boys used to ride les gets and say it was amazing, but a few people riding brakeless and out of control have ruined it for the rest of us, even a chat with the mayor couldn't change things.
In short, if you want a load of riding, for cheap and can't drive, it has to be courcheval. They'll sort out transfers, food, a guide, a bed and a weird french version of ice hockey with brooms and shoes where you can take down kids. It's amazing.

Ian@KentATB

Post by Ian@KentATB » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:37 am

Saulire - 1850 - sled run - tarmac to 1550 - tarmac to Le Praz - finishing with Le Grand Carrey = Carlsberg dont do mountainboard runs, but if they did they would probably be the best runs in the world.

Also Tougnette 2 then down to the bike track then down to St martin town is pretty amazing.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:00 am

Thanks for all the info peoples. Some awesome tales of shred. Courcheval sounds awesome. Anyone been to Austria for some boarding? Had a train connection in Innsbruck so had a good 10 minutes admiring the mountains. Expression = dear lord in heaven above. Also caught from north to south in the east of switzerland, awesome terrain but no ski lifts :(. Twas heaven but's still untouched (which is a good thing) just a few small villages with fat italian, cigar smoking, german beer drinking, pizza eating legends.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Tony Retro
Slightly dirty

Post by Tony Retro » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:25 am

I've been considering a mountainboard trip to france/switz next year, so this thread has been very helpful.
is it worth going to any of these places without a brake board??

Tony Retro
Slightly dirty

Post by Tony Retro » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:27 am

"fat italian, cigar smoking, german beer drinking, pizza eating legends."

haha sounds like my kind of people!

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:34 am

I think you'll need a brake. Some of the tracks I have been mapping in Insbruck averaging over 20% and a max of over 45%, some section were over a mile of 30%. Might be a bit too crazy even with a brake. But don't worry it can't be downhill for ever, after 8 miles it might begin to flatten out. But some places are possible without ` brake but you have to be pretty good. THIS is TK's run in the alps
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Ian@KentATB

Post by Ian@KentATB » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:56 am

Although you could ride bits without a brake. To get the best out of it a decent brake would be needed.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:04 am

Ian@KentATB wrote:Although you could ride bits without a brake. To get the best out of it a decent brake would be needed.

Exactly if you're going to pay a couple of hundred going there you might as well buy a brake and make the most of it. Guaranteed you'll find the greatest run ever and be like "if only i brought that brake..."
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Tony Retro
Slightly dirty

Post by Tony Retro » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:48 am

yeah that's what i thought.
Thanks for the advice people. No doubt I will have a million more questions about this once I actually go ahead and book the hol, so prepare to be hounded!

Ian@KentATB

Post by Ian@KentATB » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:22 am

If buying the brake is a problem, pretty sure Plesiure holidays hire brake boards. You could drop them an email to clarify?

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:34 am

It says for £350 you get:

-Accommodation and food
-Lift pass and/or transport for activity
-Equipment
-Guiding for mountain biking and mountain boarding
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:12 am

I've just dropped them an email.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Tony Retro
Slightly dirty

Post by Tony Retro » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:32 am

I had a look at their site earlier, looks good. would be nice to use my own board but i reckon it would be alot easier to rent/borrow one when i'm there

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:41 am

Tony Retro wrote:I had a look at their site earlier, looks good. would be nice to use my own board but i reckon it would be alot easier to rent/borrow one when i'm there

I've just asked them what boards they have, I'll tell you when I get a reply.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Ian@KentATB

Post by Ian@KentATB » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:07 pm

Think they have MBS and possibly noSno

Return to “Ride Spots”