Mountain Bike tracks - what's ridable?

Post, review and find ride spots in your area.

Moderator: BgSurfer

Brennig

Mountain Bike tracks - what's ridable?

Post by Brennig » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:18 am

I didn't want to hijack Ben's thread so I made one myself. Just need you experienced mountain bike trail riders to comment on whether to bother with the trails in my area. Some of them are awesome but then they go uphill, or have big boulders, and a lot of them slated. The first video is from Coed y Brenin and the second is from Machynlleth, all very close to home.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6hooN0Ztrh4?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6hooN0Ztrh4?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rw_jWYtSESU?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rw_jWYtSESU?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Travis
Old timer

Post by Travis » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:13 am

Some of the coed y Benin trails look rideable, what are the tracks like at the start and end of all that single track, could be a bit nicer without the uphills.
noTramp brake-boarder and proud!

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:43 am

didnt watch all the vids, but first 2 trails of first video look good
My site: [color="Red"]OneDayMedia[/color]

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:59 am

All the places I see you guys ride are nice wide tracks windings through trees, with clay-y grounds. But all the ones here are narrow and covered in slate. I think it's the fact these are running down mountains and around slate mines where's others are on hills and stuff. Also most the forests here are active (working) so the trees are placed close together.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:47 am

If it goes down hill it's rideable. Get that Nompa out there.
Mutley wrote:Dude you are an inspiration, and a nut job all rolled into one.

Brennig wrote:Trees are where the party's at.

Ian@KentATB

Post by Ian@KentATB » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:53 pm

Some of the sections on those videos look lovely. Even if you do have some bits of uphill to walk, you still have plenty of substantial length downhill.
[align=center][font=Impact]www.kentatb.com

[font=Courier New][color=DarkGreen][size=134]Freeriding - it's a monk's life
[/font][/SIZE][/color][/font][/align]

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:00 pm

dont like the look of a lot of that terrain. not that its unridable but its just not worth riding. not enough of a slope (it seems) in some sections and rough terrain and then tight single tracks with no room to scrub (assuming we are riding brake less). for me at least most of the time in those vids, with a few exception. it would just be too challenging or not worth riding. saying that parts of those trails would be, but not top to bottom like bikes can do.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:51 pm

THis place is a bit further away but I have a few mates that bike there often. Looks perfect! There are a few haedcam vids of it, but I had to post this as it's cooler.

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XwsKacRpKxQ?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XwsKacRpKxQ?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Ian@KentATB

Post by Ian@KentATB » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:14 pm

You HAVE to ride there.
[align=center][font=Impact]www.kentatb.com

[font=Courier New][color=DarkGreen][size=134]Freeriding - it's a monk's life
[/font][/SIZE][/color][/font][/align]

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:16 pm

I HAVE to ride there.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Travis
Old timer

Post by Travis » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:38 pm

That guys style is awesome. Agreed though, that place needs riding!
noTramp brake-boarder and proud!

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:43 pm

thirded

Jockass Dave

Post by Jockass Dave » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:06 pm

Trail centres like that tend to be too flat as they are built to avoid too much braking which wrecks the surface. Have tried a few and you end up walking a lot!
Old enough to know better, been there done that...

Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie

Post by Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:51 pm

rollercoaster

The 6th degree

Post by The 6th degree » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:37 am

There's a really good mountainbiking centre near me which is similar to what Dave said; it looks great, but there are only small sections that are actually on a downhill (ridable) gradient.

Return to “Ride Spots”