scottish spots

Post, review and find ride spots in your area.

Moderator: BgSurfer

alannajax
Noob

scottish spots

Post by alannajax » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:09 pm

hello there im a newbie !
ive just bought my first board , lots of bruises and scrapes so far but still keen, this is my first ever board/ mountain sport :)

ive been using it in local parks and woods
( the amount of trees on steep hills are still giving me the shits cos ive not mastered controled turning yet )

would to hear of any spots in scotland anyone knows of ?

ive seen posts on a free track in perth and mention online of one in helinsburgh !? but cant seem to find details of the actual location?

any one any info ?

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:31 pm

welcome to SD, Im sure we'll find you somebody to ride with. Definitely give a shout out in the main forum, you may be pleasently suprised to learn you arent alone out there.
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

markbrosnan78
Dirty

Post by markbrosnan78 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:46 am

Scotland should be a mountain boarders paradise. OS maps are a good place to start. For a newb any wide grassy hill will get you going. Once your comfortable turning, linking turns, carving and stopping start looking for trails. Horse or mountain biking ones normally have some good runs on them.

If a run looks too much to start off with start part of the way up and then work your way higher with each run.

I'm heading up to Petty-cur bay in October to see what the East Coast has to offer in the way of big hill riding.
[align=center]Trampa[/align]

[align=center]Allowing even fat blokes to ride since 2000...[/align]

alannajax
Noob

Post by alannajax » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:30 pm

Well scotland will be paradise oncebive mastered manoeuvring ! Finding my theory of learn the hard way painfully lol ! Impact shirts now are in the post lol ! And the narrow bendy bmx tracks ne'er me are great fun but still doing the stupid thing of throwing myself off in fear ! Need to find a boarding buddy to show me a thing or 2! My friends ne'er by lack balls and bit ones or rolling down muddy hills !
Info on boarding clubs or local known boarding trails would be great :)

markbrosnan78
Dirty

Post by markbrosnan78 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:33 am

Bailing intentionally is never a good idea and will only result in injury. Butt shorts are fantastic. I'd especially recommend the Hillbilly ones. Learn to fall properly and you'll reduced some of the fear factor. Getting low and committing will see you alright on most newbie terrain.

There aren't really any clubs anywhere. There are a few boarding centres around and a couple of organised riders like the Kent ATB crew but that's about it. Madness as you'd think there would be thousands of people doing it. Some Universities may have organised clubs that you might be able to hook up with.

For learning all you can do is practice practice practice and watch all the youtube videos like we have all done. However you are in for a wee bit of luck. The weekend of the 8th September there is an ATBA event in Scotland. Check the ATBA site here. Go and meet the boys and girls and they'll give you a few pointers. In fact from the ATBA site you should be able to find a load of info to help you out.

Happy riding.

Jockass Dave

Post by Jockass Dave » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:14 am

alannajax wrote:
would to hear of any spots in scotland anyone knows of ?

ive seen posts on a free track in perth and mention online of one in helinsburgh !? but cant seem to find details of the actual location?

any one any info ?

Hey, how do!
What you riding? Most Scots use noSno's, more of a freeride thing going on up here, apart from MJ who defected to MBS- but he's rubbish at riding:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzSnzJ2-gT4

Loads of places in Scotland to ride- no centres nowadays though- helensburgh closed many years ago- it was here:http://maps.google.com/maps?q=56.004422,-4.695743&ll=56.004242,-4.694724&spn=0.004973,0.009645&num=1&t=h&z=17

Perth track is good though, BX track, some knackered freestyle tables and a couple of rails- here:http://maps.google.com/maps?q=56.377823,-3.444117&ll=56.377716,-3.443645&spn=0.002462,0.004823&num=1&t=h&z=18
Give us a shout if you're heading up, might join you!

As Mark said, there's a UK Downhill Champs comp next weekend in Dunkeld, could be worth popping up to have a look- and we could alwasy do with some Marshals if you think its too soon to compete;)
Free Tunnocks and Irn Bru!!

-Mark- give us a shout when you come up too, we could show you some of our spots...
Old enough to know better, been there done that...

markbrosnan78
Dirty

Post by markbrosnan78 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:32 am

Dave, I'll be up the tail end of October half term which I think is the first weekend of November. As long as its not too wet I'll be looking to get some kiting and riding in. Where abouts are you?

alannajax
Noob

Post by alannajax » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:01 am

Got a scrub board and a back up board that's big and heavy ! Can't remember the make !
I'm soo gutted I've found out about the event in Perth at short notice ! I'll be throwing people off the Titan crane in Glasgow that day ! As I would hav happily helpe out at the event ,gutted it's not on the Sunday too !
If any one wants to be ma boarding buddy and have a laff at me falling over and crashing into bushes ! I'm free evenings and Sunday's mostly !

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:05 am

Do you support AFC Ajax? If you do, HIGH FIVE!
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

alannajax
Noob

Post by alannajax » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:06 am

What's afc ?

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:07 am

Doesn't matter.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

alannajax
Noob

Post by alannajax » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:08 am

[ATTACH]1189[/ATTACH]
It's a start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346249279.014914.jpg

The 6th degree

Post by The 6th degree » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:36 am

Looks like it has potential

alannajax
Noob

Post by alannajax » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:49 am

Smallest one on the woods I could find lol x but the trees and rocks are proving painfull[ATTACH]1191[/ATTACH]

Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346251761.311941.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346251740.498649.jpg

The 6th degree

Post by The 6th degree » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:01 am

Time to invest in buttpads methinks....

alannajax
Noob

Post by alannajax » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:12 am

There in the post :)

alannajax
Noob

Post by alannajax » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:04 pm

It's a scrub rush board I've got ? It was a random uneducated buy on eBay ? Comments on board type please ?

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:16 pm

Fine beginners board but you'll want to upgrade in no time. Unfortunately the only reusable bit are the bindings so you'll need to look at a whole new set-up. You might want to buy some heelstraps first, they're a bit scary, but they are actually safer and you'll progress a lot quicker. The best thing to do is to look around on eBay then post what you find on here and we'll give you an indication of wether it's good or not, and how much you should be paying for it.

Here's a good example - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mbs-mountain-board-competition-pro-16-/160874091963?pt=UK_SportingGoods_OtherSports&hash=item2574d7d5bb&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_1204

Here are some heelstraps - http://www.atbshop.co.uk/mountainboard-accessories/bindings/trampa-mountainboard-heelstraps
They're a bit pricey but last forever and are an important piece of kit.

The best thing to do right now is ride! You'll get a better board when the time is right.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

alannajax
Noob

Post by alannajax » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:37 pm

Thanks so much for all the advice and feedback so far ! Loving this forum !
Gutted imvthe only maniac around here wiling to give boarding a go ! Need a boarding buddy n sumone to helP me with the basics ! With the help of YouTube hopefully I'll get there ! :)

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:50 pm

There aren't many resources mountain boarding wise. THIS website is a worth a try though. I've found longboarding and snowboarding techniques helpful, just need to apply them the right way to mountain boarding, most people have never had a lesson, a lot of us never had a ridding buddy :( It's just trial and error.

Just noticed this on the website, found my new favorite word - physi-cool.

Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Return to “Ride Spots”