Egg Hardness -- Durometer

Board building, design, technical innovations and new equipment. Post and discuss your latest creations, ideas, designs and builds here(Pictures not required LOL)

Moderator: BgSurfer

BgSurfer

Egg Hardness -- Durometer

Post by BgSurfer » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:44 pm

Got these values from MBS for their eggs:

Red -- 99A
Orange -- 95A
White (Yellow?) -- 90A

Dave gave me these values for GI eggs:

Red -- 95A
Green -- 90A
Blue -- ?

Anybody have durometer values for the Trampa Dampas? It would be helpful to have these specs so we can end the subjective guesswork.

~~~~~
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

Ian@KentATB

Post by Ian@KentATB » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:09 pm

It tells you what shore they are on the website. Is this the same thing ?
[align=center][font=Impact]www.kentatb.com

[font=Courier New][color=DarkGreen][size=134]Freeriding - it's a monk's life
[/font][/SIZE][/color][/font][/align]

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:04 pm

KentATB wrote:It tells you what shore they are on the website. Is this the same thing ?

The Trampa shore values look similar to those of MBS and GI. I will assume they are the same hardness (durometer) unit ... Thanks.

Dave at GI sent me the Blue egg value this afternoon = 85

In that case here are the hardness values of eggs:

MBS

White (Yellow?) = 90A
Orange = 95A
Red = 99A

GI

Blue = 85A
Green = 90A
Red = 95A

Trampa

Yellow = 65A
Green = 75A
Red = 80A
Blue = 85A
White = 90A

Because the MBS eggs are shorter they will have a looser/softer feel, so we can't make direct comparisons with the others.

But for GI and Trampa, it looks like:

GI blue = Trampa blue = 85A

GI red = Trampa white = 90A

~~~~~
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke

Raoul Duke

Post by Raoul Duke » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:45 pm

With the new matrix pros the eggs sit in tight they arent loose like the regular matrix trucks. Must be why these orange eggs feel so stiff..Im no expert but im thinking the yellows would still be a bit stiff on the new trucks.

Redwall
Dirty

Post by Redwall » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:52 pm

Well this might explain why I am still finding my Trampa Reds a little squishy. Now to decide if I should go Blue or crank it all the way to White.

Anyone ride Trampa Blues or Whites?

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:53 pm

Raoul Duke wrote:With the new matrix pros the eggs sit in tight they arent loose like the regular matrix trucks. Must be why these orange eggs feel so stiff..Im no expert but im thinking the yellows would still be a bit stiff on the new trucks.

I think you are correct. The yellows will feel a lot stiffer in the Mx Pros than in the Mx Regulars.

I figure your oranges in the Mx Pros feel closer to reds in the Mx Regulars.
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke

Raoul Duke

Post by Raoul Duke » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:55 pm

Wonder what the reds feel like in the kirkman then???? Must Be like riding a runaway freight train..

colton
Dirty

Post by colton » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:45 pm

Raoul Duke wrote:Wonder what the reds feel like in the kirkman then???? Must Be like riding a runaway freight train..

Oh, believe me, it was! I could not turn or carve to save my life when I had reds in the TK. The oranges were perfect for jumping and carving a little and the yellows felt really loose, but were good for carving.
[color="Red"]RIDE EACH DAY LIKE IT'S YOUR LAST![/color] :cool:

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:05 pm

BgSurfer wrote:GI red = Trampa white = 90A

Sorry gents. Minor error/typo. Should read:

GI green = Trampa white = 90A

Raoul Duke wrote:Wonder what the reds feel like in the kirkman then???? Must Be like riding a runaway freight train..

Looks like MBS has created their version of a NoSno.
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke

Raoul Duke

Post by Raoul Duke » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:10 pm

BG have you ever tried cutting 2 different eggs in half? Like a red, orange combo half and half. MC and I were talking about it this morning thinking the new trucks would hold them in perfectly.

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:20 pm

Raoul Duke wrote:BG have you ever tried cutting 2 different eggs in half? Like a red, orange combo half and half. MC and I were talking about it this morning thinking the new trucks would hold them in perfectly.

Never, considered that. If I did that, personally, I would want some kind of adhesive between the two halves. You still have combos of MBS eggs to play with front and back in the Pro Lites (yellow: orange: red). You have several fine-tuning options left.

I think you would have a lot more truck stiffness options using MBS Mx Lites with the many differing Trampa Egg hardnesses.

For my street carvers, seems like I have a few egg options left with GI eggs in particular, maybe Trampa. Which also means I have GI/MBS egg combos to play with also.

Was just thinking that the GI springs seemed stiffer than MBS springs which gives me one more stiffness option with MBS Wides for surf-style carve. Which then leads to GI Spring/GI egg/MBS egg combos with MBS Mx Wides.

~~~~~
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke

DirtDave
Experienced

Post by DirtDave » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:34 pm

i def. think you would need an adhesive otherwise there would be movement in between the halves. RTV blue silicone may work by being flexible enough not to crack.
stylezofnz wrote: (will throw in a free blowy to sweeten the deal :D)

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:38 pm

DirtDave wrote:i def. think you would need an adhesive otherwise there would be movement in between the halves. RTV blue silicone may work by being flexible enough not to crack.

I'm thinking some high-power but flexible contact adhesive might work well. But even if the joining plate in the middle was stiff it might not be affected by the overall movement. More room for experimenting. Quien sabe?!

I think bonding with the egg material could be a big issue.

~~~~~
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke

Raoul Duke

Post by Raoul Duke » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:52 pm

GI springs will fit matrix trucks?

Why adhesive? I would think how the new trucks are they would press together enough to not need an adhesive.
But you guys are the experts...Im still working on my degree from nasa...

stylezofnz

Post by stylezofnz » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:43 pm

Redwall wrote:Well this might explain why I am still finding my Trampa Reds a little squishy. Now to decide if I should go Blue or crank it all the way to White.

Anyone ride Trampa Blues or Whites?

i just got whites for my comp 6 freestyle board. i like a stiff set up. i'm 6'3 and 75kgs. They're perfect for my set up. They do feel a bit harder than mbs red eggs in standard matrix trucks but i'm not looking back. I think they may be a little to stiff for tight free carving but definately still a very monouverable setup. :rolleyes:
I live life a quater mile at a time. And when i'm not doing that i'm riding my mountain board.

stylezofnz

Post by stylezofnz » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:50 pm

BgSurfer wrote:Never, considered that. If I did that, personally, I would want some kind of adhesive between the two halves. You still have combos of MBS eggs to play with front and back in the Pro Lites (yellow: orange: red). You have several fine-tuning options left

Personally i would use a bit of 4/5/6mm threaded bar (i can't remember how big the hole is in the eggs) approx 15mm long and screw the two halves together then use an adhesive to reinforce it if necessary. You could even work out the difference between the egg length and the gap length. if it's 10mm you could cut each egg off centre by 5mm to create a full length egg should you want that style. Working with a yellow top and a red bottom at full length you may find it has the responsiveness you are looking for whilst maintaining a smooth movement.
Raoul it will hold together untill it compresses on one side then it will have the opposite effect on the other side causing the egg halves to seperate. What happens from there would come down to experimenting.
I live life a quater mile at a time. And when i'm not doing that i'm riding my mountain board.

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:36 am

i remember reading (on here ithink) thaat leon robins and maybe others cuts a red in half and adds that to the existng red in each spring. bg would love that ride:p
and for the record, nosno's do turn if you crank them loose and ride them properly. one of the nicest designed truck system out there, has to be tried to be belived.

The 6th degree

Post by The 6th degree » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:27 am

I was talking to Skully and he was saying something similar - alot of the top riders make their own custom eggs by cutting the middle out of one and sticking it between the ends of another.

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:32 am

belac wrote:and for the record, nosno's do turn if you crank them loose and ride them properly. one of the nicest designed truck system out there, has to be tried to be belived.

For me, it would be like steering a freighter. I'd hit the first tree in my path or end up plastered to the side of a barn. But I'm sure for the right style of riding they are the ultimate machine.

Ride what you like. ;)

stylezofnz wrote:Raoul it will hold together untill it compresses on one side then it will have the opposite effect on the other side causing the egg halves to seperate. What happens from there would come down to experimenting.

Pretty much what I was going to say. The loose halves on the decompressed side might get caught in the expanded/decompressed spring. :eek:

Raoul Duke wrote:GI springs will fit matrix trucks?

Looked like they would work for Mx Regs and Wides at the inside position anyway.

Only one way to find out for sure on this stuff. Just do it. ;)
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:19 pm

Raoul Duke wrote:BG have you ever tried cutting 2 different eggs in half? Like a red, orange combo half and half.

stylezofnz wrote:Working with a yellow top and a red bottom at full length you may find it has the responsiveness you are looking for whilst maintaining a smooth movement.

The more I think about this, the more I'm liking the idea -- Variable (Progressive) Hardness Eggs.

I can see this creating a responsive but even fluid motion on a surf-style carver.

Anybody know the exact material that mountainboard eggs are made of?
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke

Return to “The Shed”