Egg Hardness -- Durometer

Board building, design, technical innovations and new equipment. Post and discuss your latest creations, ideas, designs and builds here(Pictures not required LOL)

Moderator: BgSurfer

Ian@KentATB

Post by Ian@KentATB » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:17 pm

rubber ?
[align=center][font=Impact]www.kentatb.com

[font=Courier New][color=DarkGreen][size=134]Freeriding - it's a monk's life
[/font][/SIZE][/color][/font][/align]

Ian@KentATB

Post by Ian@KentATB » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:49 pm

looking at replacing my tired old eggs. I noticed that atb shop sell the scrub ones for half the price. Seeing as how they are just chunks of rubber, it could be a good saving.

is the stiffness the same for soft medium hard eggs as it is on the mbs ones ?

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:09 pm

KentATB wrote:is the stiffness the same for soft medium hard eggs as it is on the mbs ones ?

Looked at the Scrub site. Didn't have any hardness values. Without hardness ratings, there's no way to know for sure.

Edit: I have heard eggs referred to as urethane elastomers. Who knows. Don't think they're rubber.

~~~~~
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

stylezofnz

Post by stylezofnz » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:35 pm

i'm almost certain they're a hard urethane compound. The yellow ones feel very similar to a urethane suspension bush in a car and i know you can get harder ones. I would be carefull buying rubber ones as rubber is no where near as durable as urethane so you may be saving money now but having to buy a new set in half the time. I love my trampa dampas :D
I live life a quater mile at a time. And when i'm not doing that i'm riding my mountain board.

Ian@KentATB

Post by Ian@KentATB » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:59 am

I used to ride trampa dampas , but now ride springless , so need the eggs

gu5t
Noob

Post by gu5t » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:43 am

i ride the scrub ones, fine compared to MBS equivalents. didnt notice much difference at all

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:44 pm

For you MBS riders that ride Matrix Lites and think they are still too loose. I suspect you can make those bad bears rock hard with GI red eggs.

Was playing around with my Razor-Wides test rig. Decided maybe try red GI rear and green GI front, springs at the inside position. Set it up and did a little test rocking back and forth -- way too stiff for surf-style.

Putting GI reds all the way around on Matrix Lites would be really stiff -- might even be able to make Mx Lites springless with an extra washer or two.
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:09 am

bumping and moving to shed
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:55 am

Thanks McC.
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:39 am

durometer ratings are only comparable if a very similar compund is being used. Durometer (shore) ratings of skate wheels is next to useless when comparing how firm they feel in the real world. I assume egg shocks are made of pretty similar compunds and the science hasn't yet got too technical but i would still be wary of relying solely on a figure derived from effectively shoving the end of a blunt nail on a spring into them.

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:54 am

sir seymour wrote:durometer ratings are only comparable if a very similar compund is being used. Durometer (shore) ratings of skate wheels is next to useless when comparing how firm they feel in the real world. I assume egg shocks are made of pretty similar compunds and the science hasn't yet got too technical but i would still be wary of relying solely on a figure derived from effectively shoving the end of a blunt nail on a spring into them.

They are made of urethane. How similar the products are, I can't say.

But in the absence of other information, all we have is the durometer rating for comparisons. And this data was hard to dig up.

Also, the shape makes a difference too. You can't really compare Trampa's and GI's with MBS because the Dampas and former GI eggs/elastomers were taller -- more material less space for compression. But I needed some limited information for comparison and selection. It is a starting point.

~~~~~
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke

Return to “The Shed”