Eric Briner's DXB Independent Suspension Rig

Board building, design, technical innovations and new equipment. Post and discuss your latest creations, ideas, designs and builds here(Pictures not required LOL)

Moderator: BgSurfer

User avatar
BgSurfer
Posts: 3353
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 12:55 pm

Eric Briner's DXB Independent Suspension Rig

Post by BgSurfer » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:36 am

Equal opportunity and mutual respect. Ride what you like.

Gravity's the Source. It'll chang your life. Swear to God.

Peace... :cool: :cool: :cool:

http://www.zapiks.fr/mountainboard-st-pierre-de-c.html

http://www.zapiks.fr/mountainboard-st-pierre-de-c-1.html

Image

Image

Image
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

User avatar
BgSurfer
Posts: 3353
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 12:55 pm

Post by BgSurfer » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:53 am

I will continue to bump this thread/post until the nonsense stops... :eek:

BgSurfer wrote:Equal opportunity and mutual respect. Ride what you like.

Gravity's the Source. It'll chang your life. Swear to God.

Peace... :cool: :cool: :cool:

http://www.zapiks.fr/mountainboard-st-pierre-de-c.html

http://www.zapiks.fr/mountainboard-st-pierre-de-c-1.html

Image

Image

Image
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

User avatar
Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie
Posts: 897
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:11 pm

Post by Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:14 pm

BgSurfer wrote:I will continue to bump this thread/post until the nonsense stops... :eek:


what nonsense?

User avatar
BgSurfer
Posts: 3353
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 12:55 pm

Post by BgSurfer » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie wrote:what nonsense?


Continued hijack of Humboldt's video thread and the previous hijack of DirtyBastards thread.


The Surfing Dirt Pub was created for off-topic banter.

BgSurfer wrote:Equal opportunity and mutual respect. Ride what you like.

Gravity's the Source. It'll chang your life. Swear to God.

Peace... :cool: :cool: :cool:

http://www.zapiks.fr/mountainboard-st-pierre-de-c.html

http://www.zapiks.fr/mountainboard-st-pierre-de-c-1.html

Image

Image

Image
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

User avatar
Jimmy Chaos
Seen it all
Posts: 2543
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:34 am

Post by Jimmy Chaos » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:00 pm

Yeah but that was all covered in this thread.

who cares if a thread goes off topic, there's a difference between going of topic a hijacking. I think most of them go off topic at one point or another with "girls on boards" probably being one of the exceptions.

this shit is all silly. ..........
.............:D................
" Blatant Self Promotion "
__________________

[SIZE="5"][color="Red"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Habitual Suicide[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"][color="black"][font="Comic Sans MS"]-Mountainboarding T's-[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"][color="Blue"][SIZE="1"]
"Wear a helmet, don't drown in your own puke"
[/SIZE][/color][/color]

User avatar
BgSurfer
Posts: 3353
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 12:55 pm

Post by BgSurfer » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:08 pm

Jimmy Chaos wrote:this shit is all silly. ..........


No SH!T. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

IMO both threads mentioned were deliberately de-railed. Just my $0.02.

I created a thread/post that consolidated all of the relevant vids and pics of Briner's rig. So folks who might want to learn about this particular board later (with searches) don't have to wade through reams of meaningles Bull SH!T

Seems fair enough to me. But of course, this thread has already attracted... :rolleyes:

I think many of your creations have received a fair airing and respect here Jimmy. I know mine have, with one exception maybe, but eventually that black fly went away.

Humboldt backed off and I felt Eric's Innovation got buried. It wasn't even posted by Briner (I admire that he didn't self-promote). This thread is intended as an SD courtesy and resource post.

I did the same for Humboldt so we could start over with clean slates.



~~~~~
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

User avatar
BgSurfer
Posts: 3353
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 12:55 pm

Post by BgSurfer » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:38 pm

Eric, I read through the earlier thread:
http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4328

You couldn't find where you said what the frame is made of.

As shaker mentioned in a deleted post, seems like aluminum or carbon composite tubes could make a big difference. Also, with lighter wheels the internal shocks might be eliminated -- springs only (I have a few design concepts of my own -- independent spring suspension).



~~~~~
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

User avatar
Eric Briner
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:18 am

Post by Eric Briner » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:02 pm

Thanks BG for the courtesy. The DXB is built like a truck, but I knew Fabian would be bombing down mountain bike trails, and breakage is not a option. With different materials, parts and engineered designs, the DXB can be made much lighter, but never as light as a mountainboard. It is after all, a different animal. Grr

User avatar
BgSurfer
Posts: 3353
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 12:55 pm

Post by BgSurfer » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:25 pm

Is it a steel frame?

Seems like mountain bikes are pretty lighweight and take serious punishment on rugged courses. Composite technologies (carbon, fiberglass, etc.) are capable of amazing things. I believe you can significantly reduce weight for your rig.

Just the same, I built this and it weighed in at 15 lb -- old style MBS heavy duty 18" steel trucks up front. Multi-ply maple laminate deck. Heavy Tri-spoke hubs and super heavy tires (both the street slicks and the 9" off-road knobbies). 12" rear bike wheel (from Jimmy C). Childs 16" bike rear fork. Use a titanium fork for the rear wheel and it will take on any trail a mountainboard can:

It is a speed machine. Seems like your rig could be just as light with the right materials.

(Go to this link and click individual photos for high resolution images:
http://bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/05/prototypeii-all-terrain-board-standup.html )

Image

Image
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

User avatar
Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie
Posts: 897
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:11 pm

Post by Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:25 pm

BgSurfer wrote:Is it a steel frame?

Seems like mountain bikes are pretty lighweight and take serious punishment on rugged courses. Composite technologies (carbon, fiberglass, etc.) are capable of amazing things. I believe you can significantly reduce weight for your rig.

Just the same, I built this and it weighed in at 15 lb -- old style MBS heavy duty 18" steel trucks up front. Multi-ply maple laminate deck. Heavy Tri-spoke hubs and super heavy tires (both the street slicks and the 9" off-road knobbies). 12" rear bike wheel (from Jimmy C). Childs 16" bike rear fork. Use a titanium fork for the rear wheel and it will take on any trail a mountainboard can:

It is a speed machine. Seems like your rig could be just as light with the right materials.

(Go to this link and click individual photos for high resolution images:
http://bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/05/prototypeii-all-terrain-board-standup.html )

Image

Image


looks like a good idea wonder how it is freeriding/downhilling can you put brakes on the front tyre?

User avatar
BgSurfer
Posts: 3353
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 12:55 pm

Post by BgSurfer » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:32 pm

Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie wrote:looks like a good idea wonder how it is freeriding/downhilling can you put brakes on the front tyre?


They put brakes on Mountainboard front wheels and I have some for Prototype III's front wheels. Prot III is to be a recumbent street luge type rig (with rear disk brake too).

Proto II should make a good downhill rig with the the right materials for and slight re-design of the rear fork.

It would be easy enough put a high quality bike disk brake on the rear wheel. This Prototype I had a rear wheel disk brake (16" wheel):

Image
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

User avatar
Eric Briner
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:18 am

Post by Eric Briner » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:30 am

Dang Dude, I knew there was more than one reason I liked this forum, your front sides defy gravity!
I see your in it for street use, but I see a real and effective application for downhill on mountain bike trails, like the DXB. If the large wheel were in front, like a dirt surfer, you would be able to hit much larger objects due to the size of the impact wheel. If you suspended the front wheel, you could double that impact object size. Now you have a craft that an average rider could take on an ungroomed mountain bike trail, many of which are at ski resorts which happen to have capital suitable for investment return.
I like the brake.
I hope my brainstorming doesn't offend, you have a great design.
A suspended front would also help the rider hop the front wheel.
One last thing, an advantage of your board over a dirt surfer, is you can stand on a still board.
[url=http://motocrossboard.com/ride/]http://motocrossboard.com/ride/
Image

User avatar
BgSurfer
Posts: 3353
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 12:55 pm

Post by BgSurfer » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:18 am

Not offended by brainstorming at all.

Channel trucks with 2 wheels up front make the turns more responsive. Front wheels contribute more to turning with the channel-truck pivot and provide a nice solid base to lean into relative to the Dirtsurfers castor pivot front wheel (which contributes little to turning and slides out easily on hard leans).

It is less wobbly than a dirtsurfer and more wobbly than a mountainboard when not moving. The big advantage was more responsivenes than a Dirtsurfer with no speed wobble at speeds up to an estimated 40 mph (on Prototype I). Also the ability to lean the rear wheel into turns makes a big difference (like riding a bike or motorcyle vs the fixed vertical wheels of a trike). But stationary stability could be adjusted with axle width (wheel base) for the dual wheels and shock stiffness.

I didn't try riding it with the single wheel up front. Didn't feel like it would be as responsive with the channel truck steering in the rear. The rear fork design in Prototype 2 allowed use of a commercial unibody deck. As you noticed, my thing is very tight surf-style cutbacks and re-entries with grippy tracking.

I can see how a larger single wheel up front would be a better rough terrain equalizer. Your modifications are intriguing but, I don't have the welding and fabrication skills you obviously have. Would love to see what you have proposed take physical form.

As you can see, I merged a mountainboard with a Dirtsurfer in Protoype I. (Prototype III is a single rail style aluminum frame [square tube], back burnered for some time now). The brakes gave me a false sense of security and I rode it down this hill. Never really liked the Dirtsurfer calf operated brake, I would have used a foot operated brake. I rode a motorcycle at that time and guesstimated top speed on this hill of 40 mph by feel (but mostly by wind noise in the helmet):

Image

Mounting plates on Protype III's aluminum rail frames. It needs a tube frame seat (for mesh/net fabric) with lean handles for hand brakes.

Image
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

User avatar
Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie
Posts: 897
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:11 pm

Post by Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:01 am

wow cool man.

looks like it has little clearance from the ground when turning and stuff or maybe its just the picture.

can you J turn with the tri wheel board?

User avatar
Brennig
Posts: 2411
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:39 am

Post by Brennig » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:08 am

I'm no terrorist but Wyoming do you have your Trampa yet? If so how's it going? Can't wait to see some vids, I love snowboarding vids from Wyoming so I can only imagine what mountain boarding would be like.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

User avatar
BgSurfer
Posts: 3353
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 12:55 pm

Post by BgSurfer » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:10 am

[@ Brennig -- would appreciat it if you and Wyoming discussed that by PM and not in this thread. Thanks.]

Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie wrote:wow cool man.

looks like it has little clearance from the ground when turning and stuff or maybe its just the picture.

can you J turn with the tri wheel board?


You would need a pretty wide track to do it. I did it by accident when I tried to make a "tight" 180, but flipped the front wheels up on end and put it on its side while doing it. It is nowhere as responsive as a dual channel truck surf-style mountainboard street rig.

Here is the video of the first test flights of Proto II (low grade digital camera footage). The last 2 runs in the video pretty accurately show carving tightness in the +/- 25 mph range -- over that you have to make long easy arcs/carves (from a surf-style cutback perspective).

http://vimeo.com/4891042

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/4891042?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/4891042">ProtoType2 Test: All Terrain Board, StandUp--Luge--Skeleton (04-05-2008)</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1821783">Surfer Joe</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

User avatar
Brennig
Posts: 2411
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:39 am

Post by Brennig » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:21 am

BgSurfer wrote:[@ Brennig -- would appreciat it if you and Wyoming discussed that by PM and not in this thread. Thanks.]


That's why I said don't mean to be a terrorist, as in hijacking your thread. Sorry :)
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

User avatar
BgSurfer
Posts: 3353
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 12:55 pm

Post by BgSurfer » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:26 am

Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie wrote:looks like it has little clearance from the ground when turning and stuff or maybe its just the picture.


BTW plenty of ground clearance for turning and still maintains a low center of gravity -- same as a mountainboard. Rails have never touched the ground when I ride it. Click the pictures at my blog and you will get a large high resolution image, much easier to see rig details.
http://bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/05/prototypeii-all-terrain-board-standup.html

BgSurfer wrote:
You would need a pretty wide track to do it. I did it by accident when I tried to make a "tight" 180, but flipped the front wheels up on end and put it on its side while doing it. It is nowhere as responsive as a dual channel truck surf-style mountainboard street rig.

Here is the video of the first test flights of Proto II (low grade digital camera footage). The last 2 runs in the video pretty accurately show carving tightness in the +/- 25 mph range -- over that you have to make long easy arcs/carves (from a surf-style cutback perspective).

http://vimeo.com/4891042

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/4891042?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/4891042">ProtoType2 Test: All Terrain Board, StandUp--Luge--Skeleton (04-05-2008)</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1821783">Surfer Joe</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

User avatar
Jimmy Chaos
Seen it all
Posts: 2543
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:34 am

Post by Jimmy Chaos » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:37 am

Haha! seems like BG is do a bit of high jacking since this is supposed to be all about Eric's board:p. I'm not being a dick...... I'm just saying. Why be so sensitive, threads always go off topic. Why fuck with the flow now.
.............:D................
" Blatant Self Promotion "
__________________

[SIZE="5"][color="Red"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Habitual Suicide[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"][color="black"][font="Comic Sans MS"]-Mountainboarding T's-[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"][color="Blue"][SIZE="1"]
"Wear a helmet, don't drown in your own puke"
[/SIZE][/color][/color]

User avatar
BgSurfer
Posts: 3353
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 12:55 pm

Post by BgSurfer » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:57 am

Jimmy Chaos wrote:Haha! seems like BG is do a bit of high jacking since this is supposed to be all about Eric's board:p. I'm not being a dick...... I'm just saying. Why be so sensitive, threads always go off topic. Why fuck with the flow now.

Come on Jimmy... you know what I am talking about.

I started this thread so Eric's Innovation would have it's own place and Eric could comment about it here. Eric wanted to discuss a potential modified 3-wheeler. I brought it up as an example of how light a bike wheel rig could be and my Proto II is "heavy" considering potential composite technology. Wyoming asked some relevant questions related to the 3-wheeler's performance.

Discussing snow board riding or asking what hijacking is has no bearing on this thread. I have PMed you and several people on this forum when they say something in a thread that makes me think of an unrelated question. It is just as easy to send a PM as it is to make a post.

No offense Jimmy, but there is no reason to be having this current unrelated discussion in this thread either. None of this has anything to do with Erics DXB or his interest in a modified 3-wheeler for off-road downhill riding.

This is exactly how the "silliness" you mentioned starts. I started this thread because I was tired of the garbage in the other 2 threads and wanted to discuss Eric's designs and ideas (Humboldt too in the other thread now active in this sub-forum).

Can we go back to disscussing experimental offroad rig designs now? I know you must have some new creations that have lightweight potential should you feel like sharing the ideas.
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

Post Reply

Return to “The Shed”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest