ProtoType All-Terrain Board

Board building, design, technical innovations and new equipment. Post and discuss your latest creations, ideas, designs and builds here(Pictures not required LOL)

Moderator: BgSurfer

BgSurfer

ProtoType All-Terrain Board

Post by BgSurfer » Thu May 28, 2009 7:30 pm

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=4891042&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=4891042&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/4891042">ProtoType2 Test: All Terrain Board, StandUp--Luge--Skeleton (04-05-2008)</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1821783">Surfer Joe</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tsCkG-rMDsM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tsCkG-rMDsM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

First Vid -- (+ music)
Second Vid -- (no music and a little shorter)

This is my free/soul rider offering to ATB and gravity sports. I am providing this design/concept for anybody and all to use. I have posted this to my photo blog, vimeo, Youtube and multiple forums. Any attempt to patent will be challenged.

Designed, built and tested by W.A. Wurts in Princeton, KY, USA.

This is ProtoType2
Designed and built: March-April 2008
Tested:� April 5, 2008

Original design created: 2006

ProtoType1
Designed, built and tested: June 2007

This beastie is the design-concept needed for an all terrain luge/skeleton. Stable steering and no speed wobble. Because the rear wheel leans into turns, it should not tip any more than a 4-wheel ATB -- maybe less.

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Thu May 28, 2009 7:41 pm

Very cool concept, it looks like you eliminated a lot of the problems that the three-wheeled outbacks had, mostly the height and weight part(that was a big turn off for me).

That back wheel doesnt get squirlly at all on you? I mean from the video it seems that it doesnt(looks like it carves like a dream) but from my outback experiences I always felt that the back end slid out a little too easy, atleast for my taste.

Very nice design man, you should patent that $%*#

Raoul Duke

Post by Raoul Duke » Thu May 28, 2009 9:19 pm

Very nice BG!!! I would love to take that for test ride... And yes old guys do rule!!!!

BgSurfer

Outback Problems

Post by BgSurfer » Sat May 30, 2009 8:35 am

Thanks Gents,

The gyroscopic effect of a large (12" bike or greater) rear wheel increases stability with speed. The wheel wants to maintain its position/angle relative to the ground.

The Outback rear wheel is permanently fixed at a 90-degree angle relative to the whole frame/ground. The wheels and frame assembly do not lean into the turns. This means the G-force vectors are pushing at the board from the side (perpendicularly). So when you attempt a power slide, the board wants to flip. Obviously this is not good for ultra-tight high-G carve or power sliding. Furthermore the deck is the only piece that leans into the turns. The deck rides above the plane of the axles, further de-stabilizing the board with a high center of gravity.

With a dual wheel channel truck steering system up front, the rear wheel (gyroscopic) leans with the deck into the turn. This keeps the G-force vectors more parallel to the rear wheel, making for excellent high G traction. The deck is level with or below the axles. Dual front wheels keeps high traction in the front of the board for high speed, high-G turns. Traction on the beast is outstanding.

I'm uncomfortable with power slides on asphalt/pavement, so I carve speed off into the flats -- I pick long enough runs. This is a speed board, so like luges, it will not stop quickly at very high speeds. For open road, I will probably incorporate some type of foot operated brake system.

Technically it should be possible to drift the rear wheel for some braking. If you can power slide a BMX bike with 16" wheels, you should be able to power slide this concept. I haven't done it (on anything ever) so I can't say.

Ultimately, I will probably develop this design concept for a luge/skeleton type variant with a disk or caliper braking system. Its pricipal advantages are stability at high speeds and very good traction for high-G carving in the 20-30 mph range. Once you hit 30 mph, you have to pick your line and hold it, with gentler arcs for turning.

The video is just proof of the first day test rides. This concept has several potential applications. Many refinements are called for before taking it up to warp speed.

The rear fork assembly needs redesigning. I have pretty much worked that out.

ProtoType3:
I will be moving toward a high performance recumbent variant more like a street luge. Kind of like a low-to-the-ground, lean steering, fighter pilot for long winding roads with sweet grades. Possibly an off-road performance model also (titanium rear fork?). Maximum velocity.

ProtoType4:
A terra-sailboard variant.

I have a new channel truck design. My variant should be more evenly responsive in terms of suspension tension.

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Sat May 30, 2009 9:35 am

Wow, sounds like a well thought out system. Somebody knows their %#^! Breaking that asphalt-powerslide mental barrier is tough, but once you commit to it you will find that it is actually a lot more predictable than doing it on dirt or grass. Raol picked it up on his first day, but convincing him to do it when he needs to is easier said than done sometimes.

Raoul Duke

Post by Raoul Duke » Sat May 30, 2009 12:44 pm

BGsurfer you work for nasa??????????:):)

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Sat May 30, 2009 5:50 pm

Raoul Duke wrote:BGsurfer you work for nasa??????????:):)

NASA...aerospace engineer? I wish I had those skills. ;)

Just a little basic physics. :D

BgSurfer

Photos

Post by BgSurfer » Sun May 31, 2009 10:16 am

Pictures from my photo blog:
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/

For "high resolution" images, click on the picture in the blog.

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Sun May 31, 2009 11:41 am

Looks pretty smooth Gramps, how much does that puppy weigh?

Raoul Duke

Post by Raoul Duke » Sun May 31, 2009 12:01 pm

Looks like you have some slick tires on the front of that puppy.

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Sun May 31, 2009 12:22 pm

Dude I just called it puppy, be a little more original Mr. Duke.

Raoul Duke

Post by Raoul Duke » Sun May 31, 2009 12:46 pm

LOL You did !!! I didn't even notice guess I look like the dummy now...

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Sun May 31, 2009 1:38 pm

Raoul Duke wrote:Looks like you have some slick tires on the front of that puppy.

Yep, those are 8 X 3 Cheng Shin slicks (aka riding mower smooth tires)

McCarver wrote:Looks pretty smooth Gramps, how much does that puppy weigh?

Never thought to weigh it. Got on the scale with it and to my surprise, the beastie weighs only 15.0 lb or 33 kg.

btw McC,

Unless you are on one of these "puppies," you'll be eatin Old Goat dust all the way down Mount Olympus. It is a screaming banshee of speed.

Raoul Duke

Post by Raoul Duke » Sun May 31, 2009 1:42 pm

What made you try those instead of using regular knobby mountainboarding tires???????

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Sun May 31, 2009 1:51 pm

Raoul Duke wrote:What made you try those instead of using regular knobby mountainboarding tires???????

I first tried them because I wanted better traction on streetcarver rigs. GI had some. And they looked identical to Carveboard tires.

So I used them because that is what I use on my custom MB streetcarver rigs. They provide a wider wheel base and great traction. Knobbies lose tread real fast on asphalt and give more of a road noise/vibration feel to the ride. I love the fluid surf-like feel with ultra-traction. My oldest pair of street slicks is almost 2 years old and still going strong.

I was going for more stability for the test flights. But I actually think I will keep them for the next prototype (3) to keep it lower to the ground.

Edit: I have a high pressure street tire (Michelin) for the rear wheel I need to put on also.

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:05 am

This thread reminds me of something I have been wanting to do with my outback ever since I saw this custom job on the silverfish forums.

Raoul Duke

Post by Raoul Duke » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:27 am

I'll have to try out some slicks on my board..

BgSurfer

Gracias Amigo!

Post by BgSurfer » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:41 pm

Thanks for covering my back over at silverfishlongboarding.com :cool:

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:23 am

BgSurfer wrote:Thanks for covering my back over at silverfishlongboarding.com :cool:

My pleasure, all our members are under the protection of the SurfingDirt Mafia, no matter where you travel in forumville.

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:36 pm

This is cool incase you havent seen it yet fellas
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

Return to “The Shed”