Nosno bushings idea, well not really, more common sense

Board building, design, technical innovations and new equipment. Post and discuss your latest creations, ideas, designs and builds here(Pictures not required LOL)

Moderator: BgSurfer

Brennig

Nosno bushings idea, well not really, more common sense

Post by Brennig » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:27 pm

I think skateboard bushings were the same shape as the nosno bushings but then most adopted the cone bushings. Cone bushings increases turnabilityness and stepped ones increase stability. Did they ever experiment with the shape or just leave it with the trusty barrel. I'm guessing it should be the same pinciple, which is resistance so I don't see why not?

Haven't seen this question come up before so I thought I'd ask it.

Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Travis
Old timer

Post by Travis » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:31 pm

Gooooood point
noTramp brake-boarder and proud!

sk8aseth
Noob

Post by sk8aseth » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:07 pm

I ride double barrels when I longboard. Cone bushings are good for carving but not good for going strait or fast, and the bounce-back on double barrels is a lot better.

Ian@KentATB

Post by Ian@KentATB » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:33 pm

I think with those cone shaped bushings in Brennigs drawing. You will lose some of the hefty beefiness of the nosno bushings. This shape while possibly superior in shape will require a harder shore .
[align=center][font=Impact]www.kentatb.com

[font=Courier New][color=DarkGreen][size=134]Freeriding - it's a monk's life
[/font][/SIZE][/color][/font][/align]

indigo_wolf
Experienced

Post by indigo_wolf » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:21 pm

A tapered bushing is always going to be weaker at the thinner point where more load is being distributed across a smaller area. Without some form of reinforcement. You can see this with the Matrix trucks that use elastomer eggs. The tophat that the eggs sit in prevent them from shearing when they are loaded up.

You could do what you are proposed but you would need some sort of support for the tapered bushing to prevent it from being shredded.

ATB,
Sam

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:12 pm

most skaters (longboarders) are now riding double barrel bushings. They ride much better in my opinion and i agree with seth's summing up - cones for extreme carving, barrels for everything else.
What nosno should do however is experiment with some of the new advanced urethanes for the bushings, that would be sweet. nosno bushings made of sabre urethane would be amazing.
I once rode a set of bushings that nosno's supplier had poured in the wrong material. The stiffness was right but they completely lacked rebound. It was the weirdest thing i've ever experienced on a board.

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:14 pm

also 'stepped' bushings a-la venom eliminators are called 'eliminators' because taht's what they do to your turn... completely.... they suck.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:30 pm

That was another thing I forgot to point out, cheers sir. The material, the rubber doesn't seem to be that 'awesome'. I found skate bushings to be much better, and a bit more 'advanced'. Can they not just use a more advanced material in there moulds or is it a lot more complicated than that? I don't know much about bushings but I doubt that the current nosno bushings are the pinnacle of modern bushings.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

sk8aseth
Noob

Post by sk8aseth » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:00 pm

I replaced the bushings in my vector trucks with double barrel venom shrs which were a lot better than the stock bushings, but I don't know if nosno bushings are the same size as regular longboard ones.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:02 pm

sk8aseth wrote:I replaced the bushings in my vector trucks with double barrel venom shrs which were a lot better than the stock bushings, but I don't know if nosno bushings are the same size as regular longboard ones.

No where near, they're pretty beefy, around 35 x 50 mm, I think.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:44 am

The problem for nosno is they are a very small company, and getting a mould set up for pouring bushings must be ~£6000 these days. They'd have to sell a hell of a lot of bushings to make it a worthwhile investment. I wonder if blocks of urethane could be sourced from anywhere? I know several skaters who have machined bushings out of old longboard wheels but unfortunately they wouldn't be big enough for making nosno sized ones out of.
Also want to manufacture myself some small nosno trucks which would take regular skate bushings with 8mm axles for a longboard. That would, i think, be lovely!

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:06 am

sir seymour wrote:The problem for nosno is they are a very small company, and getting a mould set up for pouring bushings must be ~£6000 these days. They'd have to sell a hell of a lot of bushings to make it a worthwhile investment. I wonder if blocks of urethane could be sourced from anywhere? I know several skaters who have machined bushings out of old longboard wheels but unfortunately they wouldn't be big enough for making nosno sized ones out of.
Also want to manufacture myself some small nosno trucks which would take regular skate bushings with 8mm axles for a longboard. That would, i think, be lovely!

Thought so, but the longboards a good idea.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Jimmy Chaos
Seen it all

Post by Jimmy Chaos » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:36 am

You can buy urethane tube or rod in pretty much any size, durameter and color you want, smaller manufacturers seem more willing to please but if you can find a larger company that has a stock size that you need, it would probably be cheaper.
.............:D................
" Blatant Self Promotion "

[SIZE="5"][color="Red"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Habitual Suicide[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"][color="black"][font="Comic Sans MS"]-Mountainboarding T's-[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"][color="Blue"][SIZE="1"]
"Wear a helmet, don't drown in your own puke"
[/SIZE][/color][/color]

sk8aseth
Noob

Post by sk8aseth » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:38 am

Jimmy Chaos wrote:You can buy urethane tube or rod in pretty much any size, durameter and color you want, smaller manufacturers seem more willing to please but if you can find a larger company that has a stock size that you need, it would probably be cheaper.

yeah you could use something like this and just cut them out http://www.ebay.com/itm/URETHANE-POLYURETHANE-ROD-2-OD-X-9-LONG-75-80-A-RED-/260897214051?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbeaf8e63#ht_537wt_1191

Jimmy Chaos
Seen it all

Post by Jimmy Chaos » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:22 pm

.............:D................
" Blatant Self Promotion "

[SIZE="5"][color="Red"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Habitual Suicide[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"][color="black"][font="Comic Sans MS"]-Mountainboarding T's-[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"][color="Blue"][SIZE="1"]
"Wear a helmet, don't drown in your own puke"
[/SIZE][/color][/color]

Return to “The Shed”