Hitting your head gives you suspension ideas.

Board building, design, technical innovations and new equipment. Post and discuss your latest creations, ideas, designs and builds here(Pictures not required LOL)

Moderator: BgSurfer

Ian@KentATB

Post by Ian@KentATB » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:17 pm

Brennig wrote:Also suspension would open a HUGE amount of terrain for me, big mountain riding would become a lot more possible. About 70% of my local slopes/mountains are unridable as current boards can't cope with the rough terrain. I'm not building suspension trucks to ride whats already ridable but to ride the unridable.

;):confused::rolleyes:
[align=center][font=Impact]www.kentatb.com

[font=Courier New][color=DarkGreen][size=134]Freeriding - it's a monk's life
[/font][/SIZE][/color][/font][/align]

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:37 pm

Jasper wrote:i used to mountain bike and i used to ride a hard tail, i had my suspension pretty tight so that it only had a little travel, but this was just enough to make the unrideable on a rigid, rideable.

I think this is what brennig intends to do, not turn the gnarliest track in to smooth as milk track but at least make it rideable.

Just to clear that up for everyone.

A mountain bike has wheels with much larger diameters. This makes a big difference going over rocks etc. relative to 8-10" diam wheels.
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:38 pm

Ian@KentATB wrote:So would a minimal suspension system (travel of only an inch or two) have the effect of smoothing out a ride on moderately bumpy terrain?

I'm no expert on suspensions, but I'm sure size of the bumps will make a difference.
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie

Post by Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:41 pm

id like to see a mountain board with mountain bike wheels :p

The 6th degree

Post by The 6th degree » Tue May 01, 2012 1:12 am

Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie wrote:id like to see a mountain board with mountain bike wheels :p

It's in the works....:eek:

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Tue May 01, 2012 4:00 am

BgSurfer wrote:A mountain bike has wheels with much larger diameters. This makes a big difference going over rocks etc. relative to 8-10" diam wheels.

i pretty much think thats the main reason suspension isnt worth it. even with all the suspension in the world we will never be able to ride over some of the terrain that bikes can. not to mention the potential for going wrong as complexity increases.

also ive always felt that 'feeling' the bumps in the ground through the trucks and your knees is what makes it possible to apply those tiny little changes as you ride in order to get that perfect corner or carve. im imagining suspension kind of blurring this sensation and i can just imagine catching on stuff as you turn more often because of it.

however id be right in there to give any suspension truck a go!

@Brennig - you must be a better man that I cause i cant imagine any way that i could ride down Craig y Deryn, at least not on the side shown in the pic. i take it you mean to ride the side you say is 20/30 gradient?
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Tue May 01, 2012 6:27 am

Yah the 30 side, it's like a big slope covered in bolders and drops, you'd have to weave in between them and carve and slide the monkeys out of it but I can imagine with suspension trucks it'll be possible.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Tue May 01, 2012 9:02 am

The trucks I have designed at the moment have roughly the same amount of parts as a channel truck, maybe even less. Another thing to add is the adjustability, with such a simple design I can change, ride height, suspension resistance, steering resistance, camber, axle track, cornering camber, suspension travel, axle track, and probably a whole lot more that I haven't noticed yet.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Tue May 01, 2012 9:44 am

Brennig wrote:The trucks I have designed at the moment have roughly the same amount of parts as a channel truck, maybe even less. Another thing to add is the adjustability, with such a simple design I can change, ride height, suspension resistance, steering resistance, camber, axle track, cornering camber, suspension travel, axle track, and probably a whole lot more that I haven't noticed yet.

post a pic/design/drawring somthing. Gotta back them claims up boy! :p
My site: [color="Red"]OneDayMedia[/color]

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Tue May 01, 2012 10:52 am

Well it wont be long 'till I start building so I'm keeping it back till then. I'll be building two pairs of them, I could build another 10 trucks but I need some nosno axle stubs which cost a LOT, more than the rest of the materials combined. I'm building them to fit MBS/Trampa/skate hole patterns so it should fit anything expect nosnos.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

mario64

Post by mario64 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:53 am

Back to Kiwi's original idea, to make the suspension softer obviously use softer springs. But to keep the compression for turning, if the springs are moved further out and away from the kingpin, then the steering compression increases.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Tue May 01, 2012 1:41 pm

Brennig wrote:Well it wont be long 'till I start building so I'm keeping it back till then. I'll be building two pairs of them, I could build another 10 trucks but I need some nosno axle stubs which cost a LOT, more than the rest of the materials combined. I'm building them to fit MBS/Trampa/skate hole patterns so it should fit anything expect nosnos.

tasty man, will be interesting to transfer the trucks to different decks to feel the difference between super squishy freeride decks and hard freestyle.
My site: [color="Red"]OneDayMedia[/color]

sk8aseth
Noob

Post by sk8aseth » Tue May 01, 2012 4:45 pm

Brennig wrote:The trucks I have designed at the moment have roughly the same amount of parts as a channel truck, maybe even less. Another thing to add is the adjustability, with such a simple design I can change, ride height, suspension resistance, steering resistance, camber, axle track, cornering camber, suspension travel, axle track, and probably a whole lot more that I haven't noticed yet.

Is it going to be individual wheel suspension like a car, or is the whole truck going to be suspended like in the idea here?

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Tue May 01, 2012 4:52 pm

Independent double wishbone basically.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Thu May 03, 2012 12:34 pm

a nosno pro downhill on 10's has made it down several mountainbike world cup black runs in europe, rock gardens and all, and in the right hands (or should that be legs) very quickly.
Adding suspension to a board with that level of absorbtion already, in my opinion, would be pointless. 10" tyres run at 8-14psi depending on terrain are a very useful tool which serve a very similar purpose to a complex suspension system. If you can get away with more than 16psi in 10's you should have changed on to the 9's already, they are a form of suspension not a fashion choice.
The reason i moved into mountainboarding (nosno's more specifically) and away from bikes was because they are simple, solid and i was sick of my bike breaking every weekend. Adding complexity in my mind only serves to reinstate a level of frustration. In 10 years of riding, much of it fairly mellow but some of it at speeds your mother wouldn't like on silly terrain, i have broken 1 wheel bolt, 1 alloy axle, 2 kingpin bolts and 2 hubs. That is one of the best things about my riding experience, the solidity and simplicity of the kit.
Jasper - you mention suspension on a hardtail bike making things rideable. Yes, this is because it it for your front wheel which is controlled by your hands, not your legs. You don't have the same absorbtion capacity in your wrists and elbows as you do in your knees. A short-travel rear shock and rigid forks wouldn't open up terrain in the same way.
I think this is over engineering and i think it is trying to solve a problem which doesn't exist but i am a nay-sayer. NAY!
Love the projects though and i look forward to you telling me to fuck off when you prove me wrong! Innovation is always met with hostility, and today i shall play that part and i hope it will serve as some fuel to the fire.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Thu May 03, 2012 12:42 pm

Yeah but you're one of those nosno peoples who managed to find themselves on the internet, you'd strap a boulder to your forehead if you were told it would make you faster.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Michael
Dirty

Post by Michael » Thu May 03, 2012 1:40 pm

Brennig wrote:Yeah but you're one of those nosno peoples who managed to find themselves on the internet, you'd strap a boulder to your forehead if you were told it would make you faster.

nosnoist :eek:
I can do a wheelie on a uni-cycle...

Jockass Dave

Post by Jockass Dave » Thu May 03, 2012 4:04 pm

Or maybe Chris has enough riding experience to know whats going to work or not work...

Don't forget some of us on here have shitloads of experience in "extreme" sports outside of mountainboarding as well as within the sport to draw on when they say things, so to dismiss them like that is somewhat arrogant.
Old enough to know better, been there done that...

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Thu May 03, 2012 4:30 pm

Jockass Dave wrote:Or maybe Chris has enough riding experience to know whats going to work or not work...

Don't forget some of us on here have shitloads of experience in "extreme" sports outside of mountainboarding as well as within the sport to draw on when they say things, so to dismiss them like that is somewhat arrogant.

Probably, but I have exams coming up and I'm looking for any excuse not to revise. Made a prototype yesterday, seems to be silky smooth, no bump steer and they manage to turn. Might try and build them within the next few weeks, just a few issues with return to center but that's probably because I'm using elastic bands, swapping them for some tension springs should do the job. I don't think a lot of people understand what these trucks are going to be like so I'm just going to keep back in till they're finished, they aren't going to be some overly complex space rocket precision trucks.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Fri May 04, 2012 12:41 am

Brennig wrote:Yeah but you're one of those nosno peoples who managed to find themselves on the internet, you'd strap a boulder to your forehead if you were told it would make you faster.

Ohhh really ? What colour does it need to be ? :)
leapb4ulook wrote:...... you're a freerider at heart, you've just been infected with freestyle.

Return to “The Shed”