Bushing seats

Board building, design, technical innovations and new equipment. Post and discuss your latest creations, ideas, designs and builds here(Pictures not required LOL)

Moderator: BgSurfer

Brennig

Bushing seats

Post by Brennig » Sat May 19, 2012 2:43 pm

Been thinking about this for a while, when considering longboard trucks bushing seats are one, if not the most important factors on how they perform. It can determine the difference between a slalom and downhill truck. But when you consider nosno trucks it's almost all bushings, the trucks mostly depend on how the bushings react and bushing seats are very important when considering this. Also they are the contact area between the board and trucks so they must be important. The good thing with the nompa is you can make any bushing seat you want.

I got really confused when my nompa suddenly became unstable at high speeds, how it would spontaneously dive into a turn. After spending a good month changing my cambers, toe ins, deck tip angle, bushings and so on the problem was still mostly there. So it must be the shallow bushing seat I currently have. At the moment it's a straight 2 mm drop and only on one side of the deck. So I decided to try some deeper and different shaped seats. I decided to opt for interchangeable bushing seats, so you could have a number of different shape, depths and combinations to customize your ride.

Here's the initial experiment, I just chopped up my chopping board to provide a deeper bushing seat (about 6 mm) on both sides of the deck. From what I can tell it might have done the job, I've only been able to ride it round the kitchen but suddenly it's less twitchy and has a much more constant lean/compression. The trucks feel a lot more solid and the few angles of give have gone. I'm going to make two kinds of seats, one circular and one oval to give me different degrees of reactivity and stability. I'm hoping to be able to stack and combine them to make very customizable rides.

Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Marvin
Experienced

Post by Marvin » Sun May 20, 2012 2:14 am

That is pretty damn cool, but would you not be better having made a flush cut into the deck and making a disc insert to reduce it if you want it less twitchy as all you really want to do is reduce the expansion of the rubber at the bottom?

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sun May 20, 2012 3:02 am

I'd like to do that but I don't have a router, I'm restricted to what my jigsaw and drill can do.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Sun May 20, 2012 8:45 am

Brennig wrote:I'd like to do that but I don't have a router, I'm restricted to what my jigsaw and drill can do.

If you have good touch, maybe you could do it with a Forstner bit. If you could access a drill press where you could set drilling depth, should be easy.
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sun May 20, 2012 9:23 am

I really want a drill press, belt sander, bandsaw and table router. It's what dreams are made of. The other problem to would be strength, if it was done both sides at a depth of 4 mm, you only have 2mm of deck left, the bushings would pull through when you stepped on the board.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Marvin
Experienced

Post by Marvin » Tue May 22, 2012 10:24 am

maybe add your top plate and bottom one and route in 1mm so giving a total of 6mm recession?

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Tue May 22, 2012 3:26 pm

Worked on them a bit more today. Better overall shape and quality, very easy to change, might opt for ones where there's no need to remove the kingpins/bushings. Just need to make some for the front trucks with a slightly different seat shape to increase turn. Might also try doubling up on the bottom bushings of the back truck to increase stability. Hopefully I can test them this Thursday quickly. Very easy to make with a drill, jigsaw and some chopping boards.

Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

mario64

Post by mario64 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:58 pm

Thats pretty cool, What sort of bushing seat did you find worked the best for you in the end?

karankasyup
Noob

Post by karankasyup » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:31 am

Soo pretty amazing.....

Return to “The Shed”