Suspension truck design

Board building, design, technical innovations and new equipment. Post and discuss your latest creations, ideas, designs and builds here(Pictures not required LOL)

Moderator: BgSurfer

Brennig

Suspension truck design

Post by Brennig » Sat May 26, 2012 6:57 am

I was planning on building these within the next few days but I'm finding it hard to get hold of aluminium baseplates and I wanted to see what you guys thought before doing anything. I don't feel like writing a whole lot so hopefully the pictures will speak for themselves but if you have any questions, please ask.

By the way the orange bits are polyurethane bushings to provide resistance but I could use compression springs, tension springs, struts, shocks, torsion bars of anything really. Though I think bushings would be ideal for simplicity. I just want to get a few ideas flowing before finally deciding on a design.

Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

buggley

Post by buggley » Sat May 26, 2012 10:06 am

an adjustable spring between the two lower blocks might help to pull every thing in together and take some stress off the upper bushing.it would draw together with no rider then expand as the wieght is added and shifted between the nose and tail. different tension springs would give you variation like egg shocks. you colud also decrease the anlge between the base plate and the axle parts and run a leaf spring on top of the axxles and on the under side of the base so that is iss pusshing the axles down and lifting the deck up. if you kept the arms and used a two leafe springs you could have a seperate spring for each axle giving you more vesatility but more weight
"from now on the only one im pimpin is sweet lady propane and im trick n her out all over this town" hank hill

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sat May 26, 2012 10:27 am

Running a spring between the two axle stubs would remove the independant suspension, and the leaf spring wouldn't work because it can't adjust it's length as the wishbones (arms) move up and down.

You could put a compression spring between the top right pivot and the bottom left, or a tension spring between the bottom right and top left pivots. Or I could put a mount on top the deck to mounta spring with a longer compression length.

It's the same design as a cars, or a double wishbone suspension.

Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sat May 26, 2012 10:37 am

I thought of doing this, uses the springs you'll find in trampa trucks but replaces the adjustment screws with rod ends. This is fully extended so when you stand on the board it will compress, the arms will straighten out and the board will lower.

[align=center]Image[/align]
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Sat May 26, 2012 11:25 am

Basically what Buggley mentioned is the core idea I have playing with for independent suspension trucks -- a horizontal tension spring between the two wheels with a compression spring for each wheel/axle, a split truck if you will. The horizontal tension spring will still allow independent movement of the wheels with some linkage.

Your idea looks good. I would use whatever materials are cost effective and easy to get a hold of.
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sat May 26, 2012 11:37 am

The good thing too is the springs don't need to be mounted within the truck, you could mount them underneath the deck. Most cars use push or pull pivots that allow the load to be transferred to a different place and axis.

Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Mon May 28, 2012 9:42 am

Been thinking about it Brennig. I think it might be better if your PU bushing had a curved surface where it makes contact with the top of you suspension arms.
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

parkerbomar

Post by parkerbomar » Mon May 28, 2012 2:20 pm

is this similar the the bmw street carver or am i crazy?
KCCO - r/bmw
Cheers,
Parker Bomar

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Mon May 28, 2012 2:21 pm

parkerbomar wrote:is this similar the the bmw street carver or am i crazy?

You're crazy.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

ginarose12

Post by ginarose12 » Wed May 30, 2012 2:06 pm

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but it might help. They have great springs for all kinds of needs. http://stanleyspring.com/

mario64

Post by mario64 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:02 pm

I had an idea for adding suspension to a board without changing the truck. Basically instead of the tip being a constant angle, have the whole tip on a hinge attached to a spring. That way up and down vibrations are independant from the boards steering, so of. i suppose if you lean more forwards your'd get more steering from the front a front of the board and visa versa for the back, so it might help with speed wobble as well. what do you guys think?

Return to “The Shed”