Stair Decending Truck

Board building, design, technical innovations and new equipment. Post and discuss your latest creations, ideas, designs and builds here(Pictures not required LOL)

Moderator: BgSurfer

Felix_the_Gat
Dirty

Stair Decending Truck

Post by Felix_the_Gat » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:51 pm

Stair Descending Truck

I just saw this on Wackyboards - http://wackyboards.blogspot.com/

There is nothing on the maker's web side that explains the tubes. Hydraulics?

The 6th degree

Post by The 6th degree » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:00 pm

Wouldn't have thought those tubes would provide enough force for hydrolics to do anything...but I can't imagine what else they are...

Michael
Dirty

Post by Michael » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:02 pm

Is there a video of this actually working?
I can do a wheelie on a uni-cycle...

Michael
Dirty

Post by Michael » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:04 pm

Ignore me, i just saw the link :L
I can do a wheelie on a uni-cycle...

LivEviL

Post by LivEviL » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:26 pm

Michael wrote:Is there a video of this actually working?

if thats what u want to call it:rolleyes:
He's no good to me dead.

Felix_the_Gat
Dirty

Post by Felix_the_Gat » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:22 am

LivEviL wrote:if thats what u want to call it:rolleyes:

Yeah, I agree.

I can't stand over produced videos of inventions that don't even show how the thing works. As if I am going to be sold on an invention's merit by a slick video.

If you really want you brain to explode read his explaination of the board on his web site. Inventors and artist should never talk about their work.

http://pochihlai.com/2012/06/18/stair-rover-2/

Inspiring action

The piece aims to expanding the capability and possibility of extreme sports as we understand them. Inherited from our natural instincts, sliding as children and snowboarding as adults, the focus is on one of the most influential and stimulating sports – skateboading, aiming to push the boundaries further. The piece creates a groundbreaking form of sport which previously never existed and utilises the hidden energy of our cities – stairs. STAIR ROVER – the Stairboard is a product that relies on the other product – stairs, which are found easily within the human habitat, especially in cities. This is an outstanding performance reflecting where we as residents live and what we love.

Inspiring values

Extreme sports are hugely various and engages many people to be involved. Indeed, extreme sports are one if the latest crazes in our culture with kids as young as four and five years old fascinated by it. This is an innate behaviour from the deepest recesses of ourselves, keen to challenge ourselves and look for the edge of what we are capable of. It is an activity highly reliant on the balance of danger, control and excitement. There are very few sports which can compete with skateboarding which can boast so many people having experienced them so enthusiastically in this generation.

Creating a legacy

No city is so fascinating and encouraging as London. Few can outline the metropolitan diversity so perfectly as this place. The Barbican Centre presents its Urban Stories, indicating that the sub-culture of graffiti, free-running, skateboarding, street dance, and extreme sports are now accepted and a valid and valuable influence on our generation. London is my inspiration. It leads me to craft a new hybrid sport around the classic skateboard and novel stair climbing mechanism. The project aims to create a new experience for users to rove along the landscape of the city. This advanced boarding activity turns boundaries and restrictions into a positive and creative physical enquiry into the ever changing kinesis of the urban ecostytem.

Gnarboards
Noob

Post by Gnarboards » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:43 am

Felix_the_Gat wrote:
There is nothing on the maker's web side that explains the tubes. Hydraulics?

I was trying to figure that out as well.

I came to the conclusion they are used to pass lubricant to the pivot-point. From what I could see in the video, it seems there is only a single pivot-point in the "stair descending" portion of the design. And the tubes are a fancy way to lubricate that point. I could be wrong, but either way, I love the tubes.
[SIZE="3"]http://gnarboards.com/[/SIZE]

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:52 pm

i love the way his extended tirade of bollocks that has spewed from his mind, through his fingers and onto his computer seems to suggest that skateboarders as yet have not found a way to utilise stairs. What a chode.

Felix_the_Gat
Dirty

Post by Felix_the_Gat » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:05 pm

sir seymour wrote:i love the way his extended tirade of bollocks that has spewed from his mind, through his fingers and onto his computer seems to suggest that skateboarders as yet have not found a way to utilise stairs. What a chode.

I agree completely.

He exposes his ignorance of skateboarding by calling it a "craze". Yeah, a craze that has been going on for more than fifty years. Then he exposes his arrogance as a designer by suggesting his board addresses a historical "problem" with skateboard riding - those pesky stairs! Finally, his proposed solution for the non-existent problem, ends with a product that does one thing that doesn't need to be done.

It is a sure formula for invention failure from the start - make up a need and then make a product for the need you made up.

File this board in with all the skateboard bindings, brakes, lapers and grinding alxes that fill the patent office files and not the store shelves.

Return to “The Shed”