First homemade longboard

Board building, design, technical innovations and new equipment. Post and discuss your latest creations, ideas, designs and builds here(Pictures not required LOL)

Moderator: BgSurfer

Brennig

First homemade longboard

Post by Brennig » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:08 am

Just finished the mold, waiting for the press to arrive tomorrow, and the wood on Friday. Specs should be : 28" x 8", 1/2" concave, 1" kick along 6". Basically it's a mini cruiser based loosely on the Wefunk Mini 28. It'll be made from 3 layers of 3mm Baltic Birch, no fiberglass (maybe).

Here's the mold.

Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:29 pm

cool, good luck!
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

Michael
Dirty

Post by Michael » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:57 pm

Woo!

Eventually got round to shaping mine.

Just needs some fiber glassing, sanding, drilling and gripping now :D

Keep us up to date, will be interested to see how your builds go :)
I can do a wheelie on a uni-cycle...

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:10 pm

Show me, show me :D
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Montana Rider
Slightly dirty

Post by Montana Rider » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:42 pm

ill show you mine if you show me yours...

Kiwy
Dirty

Post by Kiwy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:40 am

Montana Rider wrote:ill show you mine if you show me yours...

Strangely arousing when it comes to boards.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:12 am

I have wood ...

... lots of wood. Figuring out where to put my wood ...

... my wood is too big for most spaces.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Michael
Dirty

Post by Michael » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:34 am

Brennig wrote:Show me, show me :D

Like i say, needs some sanding and wot not but that pretty much the shape of it :)
Attachments
Board 2.jpg
Board 1.jpg

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:03 pm

Is that just an asymmetric rocker or is the back dewedged? 3 plies of 3mm BB ? Looks cool either way, looking forward to seeing it finished up, are you going to be building a mountain board?

More good news, found a good deal on some Formica so any boards I make should have a sublime face.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Michael
Dirty

Post by Michael » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:20 pm

The back is a kick and its just normal rocker, just not as much as i would have hoped :L

Yeah its 3 sheets of 3mm birch ply. Its fairly flexy, similar to a flex 1 tan tien.

And i dunno about making a mountain board. I'll stick to making longboards for the time being and if they are strong enough then its a possibility :)

Michael
Dirty

Post by Michael » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:28 pm

Need to make a better press though...

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:34 pm

Woops I was looking at it upside down. It's a big step from longboards to mountain boards, just a matter of practice. What press do you have at the moment? My vacuum press was around £60, looks to be a lot less time consuming and easier to make custom boards than with other presses.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Michael
Dirty

Post by Michael » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:23 pm

Its just a roughly build wood press. It would be great for normal boards but i think the convex was just a little ambitious.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a vacuum press. Where did you get the foam and actual kit from?

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:26 pm

East coast fiberglass, got a vacuum bag, breach unit and breather.
Amazon, got vacuvin (manual vacuum pump)
Already had the foam, it's just high density styrofoam.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Michael
Dirty

Post by Michael » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:40 pm

Thanks, i shall get Googleing

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:23 pm

Looking forward to see this build. Post lots of pictures.

You won't be able to use foam in molds for mountainboards without significant modifications.
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:35 am

The dimm press works pretty well and if you do your layup in several stages the angles you can get without vac-bagging are pretty impressive. http://vimeo.com/5084011
Can't beat a vac bag for the finish you get when using composites though.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:50 am

Yeah, Dimm presses are very nice for pure maple set ups, but I'm hoping to use CF, Kevlar and obviously Formica and they'll need perfect distribution of pressure. A vac bag will pull off a mountainboard, its much less intensive than a drop (only one bend, not two) but I would expect the need for some clamps.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:28 am

Brennig wrote:Yeah, Dimm presses are very nice for pure maple set ups, but I'm hoping to use CF, Kevlar and obviously Formica and they'll need perfect distribution of pressure. A vac bag will pull off a mountainboard, its much less intensive than a drop (only one bend, not two) but I would expect the need for some clamps.

But the tip MB bend is much deeper -- 3-inch drop for 35 degree tips. Estimating rebound for 2 tips and camber would be a royal pain also. Lots of trial and error builds.

You can use vac bags for the deep tip angles of an MB, just not with the form in the bag. You would have to put the bagged wood over a form and then clamp/pull it down into/over the form. The form has to be fairly rigid though. As Sir Seymour said, you may have to press only a few of the wood layers at one time. Roarockit has a photo tutorial (dead link right now) for external forms.

For clamping, you have to have some rigidness to the form. The point pressure at several points in the form will exceed foam compression pressure while clamping down. I have come up with an idea for foam+rib hybrid for clamping.

~~~~~
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:39 am

Brennig wrote:A vac bag will pull off a mountainboard, its much less intensive than a drop (only one bend, not two) but I would expect the need for some clamps.

But the MB tip bend is much deeper, 3-inch drop for 35 degree tips. Estimating wood rebound for 2 tips + camber would be a royal pain also. Accurate tip angles with presses -- lots of trial and error builds -- this is why I went with Aluminum tips for deck build R&D.

You can use vac bags for the deep tip angles of an MB, just not with the form in the bag. You would have to put the bagged wood over a form and then clamp/pull it down into/over the form. The form has to be fairly rigid though. As Sir Seymour said, you may have to press only a few of the wood layers at one time. Roarockit has a photo tutorial (dead link right now) for external forms.

For clamping, you have to have some rigidness to the form. The point pressure at several points in the form will exceed foam compression pressure while clamping down. I have come up with an idea for foam+rib hybrid for clamping.

Roarockit tutorial page, photo tutorials at bottom (all photo tutorial links dead at the moment):

http://roarockit.com/rc_resources.php

~~~~~
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke

Return to “The Shed”