MBS Matrix Hanger conversion

Board building, design, technical innovations and new equipment. Post and discuss your latest creations, ideas, designs and builds here(Pictures not required LOL)

Moderator: BgSurfer

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:56 am

Is that a cut down MBS deck? I've waiting to see one for ages! Looks like 3 plys of 1/8" vlam and a lot of fiberglass.

Edit: My mistake, it's a flame board?
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

_Kryten_
Slightly dirty

Post by _Kryten_ » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:53 pm

Hero-Boarding wrote:Image

We did this Half a Year Ago for a Customer! Wroked good! Its lighter than with the Plastik Top Truck and Stronger!

Dude the washer under the head of the King pin is missing :eek:

Hero-Boarding
Noob

Post by Hero-Boarding » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:17 pm

Your Right on this Pic the Washer is missing. But we have it on now ;)
Its a Flame Deck.

Hero-Boarding
Noob

Post by Hero-Boarding » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:20 pm

If you cut down a MBS Deck you will not find good wood like this in it you will only find plywood and sawdust ^^

_Kryten_
Slightly dirty

Post by _Kryten_ » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:08 pm

http://shop.mbseurope.com/mbs-matrix-pro-kingpin-bushing

these bushes drilled out at fit the kingpin from a standerd matrix hanger

Vikitor
Noob

Post by Vikitor » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:18 pm

That's piece of cake! :D Check out this truck's (if i only post pictures correctly...)
So, there's a Scrub Channel's bottom, MBS top, trampa dampas and MBS/Scrub springs (trampa's was to expensive for me...) Kingpin is about 11mm diameter with 10 diameter nocks on booth sides, made of steel :D
I also converted Scrub "matrix" truck's without making new kingpin, so there wasn't any need for drilling teflon bearings :D (that black thing on kingpin, "Washer"?). Sadly i haven't pictures of that 2nd board but there's no need because it's just like pure MBS convertion.

PS. In my truck's You can see a "springless with spring" idea taken from this very forum! It works pretty smooth :)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/707/backtruckm.jpg/

And the front truck from front. Sorry for quality...
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/811/fronttruck.jpg/

Vikitor
Noob

Post by Vikitor » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:54 pm

Sorry for pictures...

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:13 am

That's great. It makes me want to make mix-n-match trucks to see what else will fit together
Mutley wrote:Dude you are an inspiration, and a nut job all rolled into one.

Brennig wrote:Trees are where the party's at.

Tornado
Dirty

Post by Tornado » Mon May 27, 2013 9:08 am

Now that riding season is in full swing how is this this setup holding up? Is the drilled out bushing wearing ok?

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Mon May 27, 2013 12:39 pm

as far as i can tell without taking them apart, they are fine. feel great. no worrying noises or anything like that.
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

_Kryten_
Slightly dirty

Post by _Kryten_ » Thu May 30, 2013 4:20 am

Yep gave my bad boys a good work out a few weeks back at the ATBA-UK's Round 2 at Hales Superbole and Alls good in the hood I've no issues at all in fact it feels a much better ride

Gabris
Baby

Post by Gabris » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:24 am

Hi, I'm really impressed with your work as today I spent about 20minutes greasing everything and trying to eliminate the squeaking on my matrix's lite's... I have few questions, though:

Do the nylon bushings wear out quickly? How much hours of use can they withstand? roughly..

Why do you need those metal washers on the ends of the inserts? As far as my imagination goes, they just rub on the truck itself and provide nothing but wear?

Thanks, Cheers!

_Kryten_
Slightly dirty

Post by _Kryten_ » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:53 am

Ok well as I'm told you should really change out the bushes each season if you ride hard but as this is my first season with the hanger conversion I haven't changed them as yet and as the bushes only cost less than £10 I'm not complaining ill be changing them this November if there's little or no wear ill not be doing it again I don't think.

As for the washers it just makes more sense to me to use them as I use to work for a company making nuts bolts washers etc and the official pro hangers use them so to be safe than sorry I used them as well the last thing I want is to be in a comp and the hanger fall to bits all due to lack of waters

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:50 am

as i understand it the washers allow free-er movement around the kindpin

Gabris
Baby

Post by Gabris » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:35 am

They dont. Even without trying it I can deny that they provide better movement as they create more friction. I reckon they're there so that the truck would not fall apart as nuts are not significantly bigger than the hole that bushings fit into.

Gabris
Baby

Post by Gabris » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:16 am

By the way, what could be the source of squeaking,creaking in matrix trucks? I'm going to do the conversion, but mbs hasn't got any top hangers left for me... Is it because metal is rubbing to the nylon top hanger? I tried loosening it and it went silent, but it had play and it's not an option.

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:35 am

Gabris i think there was a thread about the matrix squeek. Do a search...

Gabris
Baby

Post by Gabris » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:42 am

I eliminated it by greasing contact points between moowing plastic/metal parts. I can't wait to convert top hangers to pro's, though.

_Kryten_
Slightly dirty

Post by _Kryten_ » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:40 am

Be leave me I've done it and not regretted it at all I notice a big difference in my board strait away it just feels more stable

david0241
Slightly dirty

Post by david0241 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:48 pm

Well I was supposed to try this mod out on my Comp 95 today but for some reason MBS decided that they only wanted to ship 3 out of 4 items I ordered... So I have everything but the bushings (I ordered tires and eggshocks along with the top hangar and bushings.)
Kind of bummed out, because they're closed on the weekends and I am headed out to Seattle on Wednesday. I'm hoping they can get it resolved that quickly, but I haven't had to deal with their customer service as of yet (though I believe I've heard good things...)

Return to “The Shed”