Half way from volcano to board.

Board building, design, technical innovations and new equipment. Post and discuss your latest creations, ideas, designs and builds here(Pictures not required LOL)

Moderator: BgSurfer

Brennig

Half way from volcano to board.

Post by Brennig » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:40 am

My basalt has arrived from Germany, yay. Took over a week but it's finally here. 350 g twill and 600 g plain weave. In the process of ordering 3/8" balsa, then some epoxy after that. Can't wait.

Image Image
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Michael
Dirty

Post by Michael » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:53 am

*Like*
I can do a wheelie on a uni-cycle...

WSG7
Dirty

Post by WSG7 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:29 pm

looks like strong stuff

mario64

Post by mario64 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:05 pm

sounds good but i can't see the pictures

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:09 pm

I uploaded them on silverfish and it's down, as usual. Should be back in a bit.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

mario64

Post by mario64 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:43 am

It's working, looks damn good.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:49 am

If my tailoring skills were up to scratch I'd make a suit out of the stuff!
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

BryceAZ

Post by BryceAZ » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:17 am

love that stuff. Just be sure you know what you are going to do before mixing your epoxy. It can set up quicker than you'd like sometimes.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:32 am

Going to get some very slow epoxy, then I can do everything in one pressing. It's pretty cold here at the moment so it shouldn't be too bad. Not looking forward to it though, epoxy is nasty.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:06 am

Epoxy and balsa ordered! Can't wait to get building, with these materials I should be able to make any and every shape imaginable! First board will be as short agile freeride board with 40 degree tips, funky bushings and composite trucks, made the same way as the deck. Probably won't add concave yet, but if I do it will me a mellow W with gas pedals.

Should be done in time for Macclesfield.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:32 am

What a load of poop, I organized a courier to pick up the balsa. They didn't arrive so I organized another, they didn't arrive, and another one after that. I gave three companies one attempt each and none of them could even pick it up, pathetic. I will have to wait 'till next year now .... Things can be frustrating sometimes.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Kiwy
Dirty

Post by Kiwy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:47 am

I may be drunk right now but i feel like licking that weave pattern just to find out how it feels. Oh i'm going to regret writing this in the morning.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:57 am

It won't be as bad as licking fiberglass but I can't imagine it being good for you though. It does look tasty though.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:44 pm

Why it's a December the 25th miracle! I made one last attempt and booked a same day courier, they arrived just as the balsa/foam place were closing their doors! So finally it's here, just as I imagined. It's almost 4 times lighter than maple, that's just crazy. The kerfs are spaced nicely so any shape is possible! Each sheet is 1.2 x 0.6 meters, so I can easily fit in two boards and lots of trucks. And it came protected by a sheet of foam which just happens to be perfect for mould making! Easily worth £30 if I tried to buy it at a craft shop.

You can see how "flexible" it is, you can even roll it up.

Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:29 pm

I suspect that balsa will need a lot heavier glassing schedule though.
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:52 pm

Yeah ... The over all weight should still be lot lighter.

Now to hype up balsa. It grows a lot faster than maple, it's similar to bamboo but takes a lot less effort to prepare it for use, so it is very very eco friendly. Unlike foam cores it biodegrades and doesn't kill any polar bears or pandas in it's production. Not only is it friendlier, it is also a lot stronger, it is basically a honeycomb core but on a tiny winy scale. It's pretty darn cool, I just hope it holds up to the abuse of mountain boarders!

Comparison thingy - Balsa - Airex (same density)

Compressive strength - 26.3 - 6.6
Compressive modulus - 7982 - 350
Tensile strength - 23.5 - 7.5
Tensile modulus - 5759 - 230
Shear strength - 4.9 - 4.7
Shear modulus - 309 - 95

Balsa's strength is obvious.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:05 pm

instinctively id say honey comb very fibery structure will be much less flexable and more prone to snapping but you say its very flexy....? interesting. sounds promising from your earlier description.

wonder if its too flexy....any concave may end up giving it some stiffness even :O
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:38 pm

That "flexy" was a joke, it has kerfs so you can form any shape. You then fill the kerfs with epoxy and it will take the shape. So I would drape it over the mold, fill in the kerfs and seal the balsa. The stiffness will come from the Basalt, once I gain enough experience I will be able to control the flex (lengthways and torsionally) pretty darn well. The deck should be poppy but I've ordered some kevlar tape in order to dampen vibrations.

Balsa has very good fatigue resistance so it will hold up to flexing very well.

In case you didn't know, this is end grain balsa so the grain goes from the bottom to the top of the deck, so each grain is only 10 mm long. The basalt will provide the strength length ways, the balsa just stops the basalt skins from separating, or the deck from crushing.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:43 pm

not sure im 100% with you but im sure you know and thats the main thing :P
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:13 am

Oh the pictures have disappeared, maybe that's why you didn't understand. The rest of stuff arrived today, some epoxy, some microfibers, some kevlar, some release film, som cups, some gloves, some wedges, and some more.

Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Return to “The Shed”