Half way from volcano to board.

Board building, design, technical innovations and new equipment. Post and discuss your latest creations, ideas, designs and builds here(Pictures not required LOL)

Moderator: BgSurfer

WSG7
Dirty

Post by WSG7 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:55 pm

What's it's length and what components are you adding to it?

stomp
Slightly dirty

Post by stomp » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:59 pm

Any idea yet of the tolerance for impact loading? Might not be your cup of tea, but with a board that light, I'm thinking of potential freestyle applications...

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:52 pm

The concave is added in the one sided vacuum mold. The balsa is cut into 2" by 1" blocks and held together with a light scrim/fabric, so it easily conforms to molds if they're shaped around 2" dimensions.

The length is 97 cm and the tips are spaced 72 cm apart, compared to 69 cm on a trampa. Basically the tips are shorter than normal, 12.7 cm each (5"). I am adding Trampa vertigos, hypa hubs, T1s, Scrub velcros and Trampa heels.

I think the deck will be too flexy, with 850 gsm on each side, but 400 gsm of that is useless because it's in the wrong direction. Have some nice quad and uni coming though.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:30 pm

I will eventually get into freestyle decks, likely to be super stiff, kevlar undersides and so on. If anyone has any ideas or input I am ready to hear it. It's all about building boards we want to ride :D
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:51 pm

Everything I've read about using Kevlar says it is very difficult to work with.

Kevlar is good for abrasion and impact resistance but won't do much for stiffness.
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:11 am

Exactly so it will be perfrct for board slides.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:06 pm

Core with polyurethane side walls, I call them "Cheesy Rails". Super durable edges that seal the core and provide some vibration dampening. I have to go away for a few days, when I get back it should be fully cured and ready for pressing.

Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:32 pm

I like the concept. What type of polyurethane did you use? Product link?
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:48 pm

Link

Only 60A, I think 80A would be better. Just like snowboard side walls (more and more companies are using PU over ABS) but a bit more flexible so it can conform to complex molds and provide more dampening. I can get away with softer rubber than snowboards because they don't have any pressure on the edges. I have a feeling it should work really well.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:13 am

"Nowhere near finished but here is the underside, beef (basalt) laminate and cheesy (polyurethane) rails."

Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:35 am

Almost finished the board and I'm off on some travels for 8 weeks tomorrow :( I'll be back in June to test the board but for now this is the best I can do.

Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:59 am

Just put it in the post to me :) :) :)
Mutley wrote:Dude you are an inspiration, and a nut job all rolled into one.

Brennig wrote:Trees are where the party's at.

LivEviL

Post by LivEviL » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:27 am

How the hell did you get my grandma's kitchen wall paper?
He's no good to me dead.

Flexboardz
Dirty

Post by Flexboardz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:57 pm

beautoful job !
Once we will have our new production, I will send some G2 parts to accomodate your creations...

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:05 pm

Flexboardz wrote:beautoful job !
Once we will have our new production, I will send some G2 parts to accomodate your creations...

HUZZAH! I'd love to build a deck based around your designs, should be good fun. Plus, I've never (and I guess most UK riders) have never seen a flexboard in the flesh.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

stomp
Slightly dirty

Post by stomp » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:23 pm

Well done! I like the shape. Can't wait to hear the report after you test it. Good luck!

DrSkaCtopus
Noob

Post by DrSkaCtopus » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:31 pm

Started this thread from the beginning and thought "this build sounds like something I read about on the fish." Sure enough you post the finished longboard and you're the same guy. Haha, awesome stuff.

stomp
Slightly dirty

Post by stomp » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:45 am

It's June... Where's our test ride report?

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:23 pm

Hello! Got back this week and had my exam yesterday! It's being raining heavily so riding hasn't been an option anyway. I'm going to do some downhill on my nompa tomorrow if the weather clears then fit the trucks to the new deck when I get back (hopefully my stoke levels with be optimum after riding for the first time in 3 months). I can't wait to put it together but it'll take a while to get the trucks fitted just right and seal the holes too.

It's likely I will be off traveling again next week so I won't have a chance to build another board or ride much :( But hopefully I will spend August in Austria! I'll get my parents to mail my board over so I can blast down some Alpine trails! :D
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:35 am

kewl, where in austria?
My site: [color="Red"]OneDayMedia[/color]

Return to “The Shed”