Half way from volcano to board.

Board building, design, technical innovations and new equipment. Post and discuss your latest creations, ideas, designs and builds here(Pictures not required LOL)

Moderator: BgSurfer

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:42 am

Sure :D We'll wait to see how this board turns out first, for your sake, not mine.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:41 am

Think i've found some Basalt UD, the company I bought my basalt off have updated their site, but the shop section doesn't work. Time to send an email.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:14 am

Got a swift reply from the basalt supplier, the uni sounded good, but the quadaxial sounded even better, like music to my ears.

Basalt quadriaxial fabric
Specific surface weight, g/m2: 700±10%
Weight per layer, g/m2: 0°:235; +45°:170; 90°:145; -45°:170
Stitching, g/m2: 10
Width, mm: 1260 ± 10
Thickness, mm: 0.80

It's perfect, especially the directional weight bias.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:19 pm

With the stitching, the Quad Basalt won't be nearly as pretty unless you cover it with a layer plain weave.

What is the weight of the uni. A couple layers of uni could give you more longitudinal strength than a layer of quad.
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:23 pm

I would, the plain weave looks super nice. I want to buy some nice wood veneers too, I have a few cool ideas to do with the finish.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:29 pm

BgSurfer wrote:A couple layers of uni could give you more longitudinal strength than a layer of quad.

What is the weight of the uni basalt?

Who is the supplier? URL?
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:32 pm

http://www.incotelogy.de/

The uni was 840 grams, so over 30 oz.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:27 pm

So what's the word? Updates? Progress? Photos of board with basalt skins?
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:46 am

Theres a board building contest on the Fish so Ive been preparing for that. Basically Ive shaped a longboard core under 200 grams, and prepared (cut) the basalt ready for laminating. I already understand how to use the balsa better now. Straight lines can be cut with a knife (much faster) and a quick way to shape the kerfs in order to make funky deck shapes. Because of this i am going to build a new mountain board mold with straight lines instead of curves, im also going to add concave which should be interesting. Just need to practise laminating basalt now ...
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:55 am

You're going to make that nice basalt purple? :eek:
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:01 pm

I would if I had purple pigment :( I am a bit stuck, probably going to use purple spray paint and tape to add a pattern on the bottom. I think purple grip tape would look a bit silly. I want to add a nice veneer (might dye it purple) on top, with silvagrip underfoot. I'll try and rebuild a mountain board mold tomorrow. The reason I haven't been building my board a is a very good one, I've been too busy riding :D oh, and doing my University application, but that isn't important.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:49 am

Redesigned the deck and truck shapes today, I would say they are "interesting" :D Should be much easier to work with though, very easy to change tip angles, concave, camber and rocker.

This first board has 40 degree tips (might do 35 if I'm not confident), 1/2" of concave, 1" of centre camber (not straight camber, it's cooler than that), 38" long with 5" tips. I want a tiny bit of flex just to dampen things.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:49 am

Laminated the top plies of the longboard yesterday, despite the vacuum bag failing it turned out ok. Weighs way under 500 grams even with unnecessary resin, this means the whole board should weigh under 800 grams! o_O It has very similar dimensions to a mountain board and should weigh more due to resin pooling on some extreme bends. Never mind boards weighing less than 1.5 kg, they could weigh less than 700 grams :O

Not sure how flexy the board will be, but they will have 30 oz per side which should be fine. Even with 40 oz on the underside it should still weigh next to nothing. But I have to wait for a new vacuum bag to arrive before I can carry on :(

Oh yeah, I did manage to make some nosno composite style hangers and they weighed under 50 grams, that's 4 times lighter than my trampa ones. So if Trampa boards are 3 kg? My deck could be 750g? Also found some aramid honeycomb, which has the highest strength to weight ratio of any core, it is almost 10 times lighter than balsa, but costs about 5 times more. Things are getting interesting ...
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:48 am

wow man. sounds unreal!
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:44 pm

Longboard out of the press to make way for mountainboards tomorrow, bushings being poured by the factory, enough vacuum film to last a life time, shit has officially come together. Expect a fully made board in two weeks!

Finally sourced some eco friendly epoxy too! Slightly more expensive but definitely worth it, the whole board will now be made of green materials, first mountain board that doesn't kill polar bears.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

stomp
Slightly dirty

Post by stomp » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:16 pm

Well!? It's been 2 weeks! Any photos? I haven't been checking in much over the winter and I just read this whole thread in one sitting. Very exciting stuff. I'm waiting for the To Be Continued part...

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:22 pm

check his facebook, im waiting for the ride report
My site: [color="Red"]OneDayMedia[/color]

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Made a longboard, and a mountain board deck. I'm waiting for some bio-resin to arrive before I can finish off the mountainboard.

Mountainboard deck weighs 28 oz, but it could be lighter. I have a few innovations in progress but I have some Uni open days coming up too. Mountain board will be ready to ride this weekend so long as the epoxy arrives. Going to Norway in Arpil for a few months and I have a very busy March before then, I'm trying to get a few working prototypes to sell before I go.

Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Michael
Dirty

Post by Michael » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:17 pm

Thats awesome!

I can do a wheelie on a uni-cycle...

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:08 am

Interesting. How did you make the "wings" concave? How stiff is it?
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke

Return to “The Shed”