Polyurethane noSno bushings!

Board building, design, technical innovations and new equipment. Post and discuss your latest creations, ideas, designs and builds here(Pictures not required LOL)

Moderator: BgSurfer

Brennig

Polyurethane noSno bushings!

Post by Brennig » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:47 am

Finally managed to have a conversation with a PU manufacturer! Hooray. I'm having some custom bushings made for my own boards, but whilst I'm at it I could have some PU noSno bushings made.

So here's the deal, at the moment I think I could get some done for the same price as current nosno bushings - £35, but I could get that down with higher quantities. I know a some of you are interested so let's get this sorted. I can have any duro and colour, what do you think? I'd like 85 A in orange, but I doubt any of you would agree. Something like 90 A in red?
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:02 am

Does anyone know how tall nosno bushings are? I'm guessing 40 mm from memory?
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:29 pm

no, more like 25 or 30
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

Alex's Phat Wheelz
Dirty

Post by Alex's Phat Wheelz » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:29 pm

They are 35mm got some brand new ones today otherwise i would have been well up for getting some sorry

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:35 pm

Haha, no worries. If they're 35 mm, they should be £30 or less. I can do any height and any duro above 78A, we just need to agree on them. I'm thinking some 80 A and 90 A ? I have no idea what duro nosno bushings are, just going off longboard ones.

I just need some "demand" before spending £100 + on bushings I don't need. If you could say if you're interested or know anyone who is, please say. They should be under £30, but it's difficult to give an exact price at the moment.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Alex's Phat Wheelz
Dirty

Post by Alex's Phat Wheelz » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:00 pm

What are the advantages of polyurethane over standard rubber out of interrest

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:05 pm

It's just better, in every way. That's why there are thousands of longboard bushings, and they're all polyurethane.

More durable, better rebound, better bushings. Why is a steel axe better than a stone one?
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Alex's Phat Wheelz
Dirty

Post by Alex's Phat Wheelz » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:44 pm

I see just put my new ones in and I'm happy with them at the moment sorry I can't order any with you I just don't need to but if I have any problems with them I will come straight to you next time brennig

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:47 pm

There's nothing 'wrong' with the nosno bushings, I use them all the time. But there are 'better' ones. As I said, what's the difference between a steel and stone axe if they both cut wood? I don't even know if these ones will be better, but it's likely they will.

It looks like I have a choice of rebound too, so we could have high rebound carvy bushings and high dampening bushings for downhill.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:45 am

Ok, it looks like I can get 6 sets made for £25 each, anyone interested? Likely to be 90 A in red. So I need 6 people who are interested in buying some.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:38 am

Have a chat with the guy about how different dyes may affect rebound properties. Although this problem seems to be sorted in recent skate wheels and bushings, a few years back if you got the wrong colour you got a product that handled like poo. Black wheels have always had lower rebound, with bright blues, greens and oranges seeming to do the best. Their manufacturing process may mean there is no difference but might be best to check!

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:25 am

He said he could use additives to tone the rebound down by 5%, but it would cost. I'm not even sure how much rebound they have though, I'm guessing it'll be the same as your stock longboard bushing, but I'm not sure how size affects things.

Bigger bushing = more rebound + resistance ??

But will that just counteract the use of bindings and weight? The only way we can find out is by making them. So long as the proportions are the same I would expect the same characteristics, bigger bushings will provide more resistance, but because they're wider the board has more leverage over them.

You have more experience than me when it comes to bushings, would 90A be a safe bet?
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:56 am

god knows on a nosno truck setup. Really couldn't say what duro would work well with a 4-bushing truck which operates completely differently to a skate truck. If you can find someone with a durometer (maybe the urethane guys?) then you could measure a medium nosno bushing and go from there.
On the rebound side i reckon higher the better (within reason). I seem to remember Dave saying he had some nosno bushes which were poured in the wrong rubber. Right duro, wrong rebound properties. They would feel the same when you chucked them into a corner, but wouldn't spring back, no return to centre at all! Scary shit at speed I would imagine.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:51 pm

I would imagine they have high rebound, more so than rubber bushings at least.

As I said, I can get 6 sets made, likely to be £25 each (maybe inc. delivery), but I need names before spending over £100. Maybe it's better to go with 85A and compress them if they're too soft?

But maybe people won't buy until they see some pictures?
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:24 pm

sounds cool and everything, but if it aint broke, dont fix it...especially if you dont have the money.
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

Jockass Dave

Post by Jockass Dave » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:49 pm

Brennig wrote:I would imagine they have high rebound, more so than rubber bushings at least. ?

That's not a good thing.
Old enough to know better, been there done that...

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:30 pm

If you're going to argue against good rebound at least say why ...
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:42 am

I've placed the order the polyurethane I needed but not the nosno bushings. So they won't be happening anymore, I didn't want to be stuck with £100 worth of stuff I don't even need.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

riotboardsports
Noob

Post by riotboardsports » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:51 pm

I could help you out if you're still interested!

I manufacture bushings in the longboarding industry and would love to see how polyurethane behaves in all types of mountainboard trucks!

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:55 am

RIOT!?!?! This is cool, I talked to riptide last year but not much came out of it. I have custom bushings for nompas in the making but it's a bit difficult to get them done as they're in my garage over 200 miles away.

But this is a whole other level, to have riot manufacturing mountainboard bushings would be awesome. I am still very interested and everyone else on this forum should be too. I've actually started designing my own boards which will require custom bushings and to have your help and advice would be invaluable, do you have an email address or something for me to send ideas to?

Thanks a lot, never expected this.

Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Return to “The Shed”