Flexscoot : our coming out

Board building, design, technical innovations and new equipment. Post and discuss your latest creations, ideas, designs and builds here(Pictures not required LOL)

Moderator: BgSurfer

Flexboardz
Dirty

Flexscoot : our coming out

Post by Flexboardz » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:31 pm

Yes, under an hidden identity (FlexScoot), Flexboardz makes scooters (electrical)....
Before being hard on me, please notice that it rides like a board (see video below w/o handling bar)...
And we keep making boards !!
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y786KVHNIDk?list=UUmAXNygCnK9XShqhciIhFUQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:49 pm

Three-wheelers would be my choice for an electric. Is it a hub motor?

Does it steer using the rear truck only? Does the front wheel pivot?

My concern would be the potential for being injured/impaled badly by the raised front fork structure.
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

Flexboardz
Dirty

Post by Flexboardz » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:11 pm

Yes, it's a 500W hub motor + lithium battery...

This video without handle bar was just made to show the difference with regular 2 wheels scooters ...

It's normally used with a handle bar wide enough to prevent such risk (and much more convenient for urban transportation)... so front wheel steers for low speed maniability and rear truck makes the carving at speed...

It makes the ride much more stable/safe/fun than 2 wheels scooters...

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aqFm_xIpyDs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jimmy Chaos
Seen it all

Post by Jimmy Chaos » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:23 pm

Nice
.............:D................
" Blatant Self Promotion "

[SIZE="5"][color="Red"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Habitual Suicide[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"][color="black"][font="Comic Sans MS"]-Mountainboarding T's-[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"][color="Blue"][SIZE="1"]
"Wear a helmet, don't drown in your own puke"
[/SIZE][/color][/color]

Flexboardz
Dirty

Post by Flexboardz » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:34 pm

well, intrinsically safe is a way to explain to "non boardriding people" what a (good) board is : you lean, it turns and bring you back on balance...

In any case, compared to 2-wheels scooters(intrinsically unsafe), it's basically true...

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:37 pm

I love the stuff you guys make, it's awesome. Thanks for sharing it with us.

PS - Whooho for Pays Basque, coming from Pays de Galles! I want to see an Basque nation where the main mode of transport is a Flexboard (or Flexscoot).
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Flexboardz
Dirty

Post by Flexboardz » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:44 pm

Thanks for the support, Brennig ...specially coming from you

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:20 pm

No problem. By the way I think I have finally managed to understand how your trucks work!

One question, do the strut bushings provide the turning resistance? Or are there bushings hidden within the kingpin compartment?
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Flexboardz
Dirty

Post by Flexboardz » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:36 pm

The turning resitance is provided by the rubber bushing hidden withing the crosspiece (on the picture below, you can see a bit of it (black rubber) below the "elastomere" word). It get compressed when turning...

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:41 pm

Is the other bushing there because the fixed point ("this point is fixed") rotates around the kingpin (moves along two axis) so the strut needs to "tilt"? Hard to describe, but the bushings are on the strut because it needs to "tilt".

I think I understand it now, it is a very simple idea but complex and hard to get it right, very clever. I will start messing around with the idea.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Flexboardz
Dirty

Post by Flexboardz » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:56 pm

Thanks.
Yes, the other bushing is there because the tendons (strut) needs to rotate slightly as the "fixed point" moves a bit left/right and up/down.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:00 pm

Yes, that is what I meant. I am certain I know how they work now, hooray! Looking forward to playing around with the design. Thanks for the explanation.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Flexboardz
Dirty

Post by Flexboardz » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:13 pm

Welcome...

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:39 am

I am just trying to put it all into yummy equations so I can play around with them, just need a few numbers. What is the distance from the axle to the deck pivot (not the "fixed point") and the axle to the deck (height)? Basically, the length of the arm and the height difference between the axle and deck.

Thank you!

With a 14" axle track, 8" wheels, and the axle inline with the deck I managed to get 30 degree deck lean.

So shorter axle, bigger wheels, bigger axle-deck height = bigger deck lean. 30 degrees is a nice number, change the axle to 12", wheels to 9", and you get over an inch of clearance at 30 degree lean.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Flexboardz
Dirty

Post by Flexboardz » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:08 pm

Arm length : 15 to 17 cm
arm height :4.5 cm
Track is around 30 cm
It leans around 45 degres (eventhough it's not really necessary to lean that much)

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uQHykgcGW7Y?list=UUmAXNygCnK9XShqhciIhFUQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:59 pm

Do you know the effective king pin angle?
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

SpinDR
Noob

Post by SpinDR » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:37 pm

Honestly, I'm not the biggest fan of scooters, but this one is a cool change. I like the 3-wheel stance as it allows for it feeling more like a board. The fact you don't need the handlebars also helps. Seems pretty stable also. How fast can you get that thing up to?
Unfortunately I've never had a chance to ride one of your guys boards, but it does seem like it would make a nice trail board with the seperate suspension.

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:05 pm

I just wish my bank would screw up and give me unlimited funds already
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

SpinDR
Noob

Post by SpinDR » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:41 pm

McCarver wrote:I just wish my bank would screw up and give me unlimited funds already

Dear god if only mccarver... so many things to build.. like a real dirt park

Flexboardz
Dirty

Post by Flexboardz » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:48 pm

Thanks a lot for appreciating the difference...

Frankly, I was not a great fan of scooter either...but they are very convenient for urban use ...and as, with 3 wheels, it keeps a board riding feeling, I am changing my mind since I rode the Flexscoot.

In fact, that is what decided us to develop the flexscoot as a product.

Honestly, for the time being, I am a bit screwed as someone stole my last flexscoot proto which causes us a bit of problem for the rest of the dvt

Return to “The Shed”