Camera mount for Board

Board building, design, technical innovations and new equipment. Post and discuss your latest creations, ideas, designs and builds here(Pictures not required LOL)

Moderator: BgSurfer

SpinDR
Noob

Camera mount for Board

Post by SpinDR » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:28 pm

So I'm currently running a Pro 95 leafe. I'm working on coming up with a way to mount my Contour to my board in a way that I can adjust the view, angle, and what not.
I tried a 2 piece arm that I got at a local camera store, but due to rattle in the deck, the screw wiggled loose, and instantly made the camera flop around like a fish out of water.
I'm going to go to a metal shop down the street and get a custom mount built. was just wondering if anyone else had had to do a similar thing for a contour.
Thanks

ade_mcc

Post by ade_mcc » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:19 pm

Nothing like what you are looking for, but I (and others) have used the clear-plastic mount included in the packaging to make pole cams
http://the-dirt-box.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/pole-cam-initial-testing.html

SpinDR
Noob

Post by SpinDR » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:37 pm

I tried a pole camera mount back when I had a GoPro and I just hated it. Going to head down and talk to the metal shop this weekend and see what they can do for me i think

indigo_wolf
Experienced

Post by indigo_wolf » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:17 pm

SpinDR wrote:I'm going to go to a metal shop down the street and get a custom mount built. was just wondering if anyone else had had to do a similar thing for a contour.
Thanks

Why?!?

Get a mafer clamp... Manfrotto makes a nice one, but you can always get one that's less spend (just check reviews to make sure low cost doesn't skimp on quality).

Generally meant for clamping on tubing or pipes, but the little plastic piece under the smaller knob can be placed in the v-notch to adapt to clamping on flat surfaces.... like a mountain board deck.

Into the small hole to the right of the smaller knob goes a hex stud with a 1/4" thread.

Which would mate to the Contour's T-Rail mount for tripods.

If you are worried about scuffing the deck, Manfrotto also sells rubber plates for the mafer clamp:

You can adjust the camera view by varying the placement on the deck or by placing a small ballhead between the camera and the hex stud mount.

ATB,
Sam

_Kryten_
Slightly dirty

Post by _Kryten_ » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:11 am

dont know if this is any good to you but im also a conour user and ive found this attachment very usefull its made by Rolson and is ment as a mobile phone holder

Oh and i also made my own pole cam using a second rolson phone holder by stripping the end off it and sticking it to the end of a walkers pole

SpinDR
Noob

Post by SpinDR » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:19 pm

The suction cup holds pretty well to your board kryten? My fear is that I'll be going 20-30and suddenly lose the suction cup and camera.
Indigo, can you send me a link to that first mount? I'd be into looking at something like that.

indigo_wolf
Experienced

Post by indigo_wolf » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:04 pm

SpinDR wrote:Indigo, can you send me a link to that first mount? I'd be into looking at something like that.

The pictured one is called Manfrotto 635 Quick Action Super Clamp

BH Photo Link
Amazon Link

If you end up ordering it, confirm that it comes with the Hex Stud. I got a slightly different model (2909) from Manfrotto and it was included, but always best to make sure. The model I got is probably not ideal for a board because the tightening is done with a handle that could snag on stuff.

Similar item from other companies with different prices can be found here. Weigh price against reviews.

ATB,
Sam

_Kryten_
Slightly dirty

Post by _Kryten_ » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:42 pm

For the price of the suction cup its worth investing in I've had it on the car going 50+ mph if you are worried attach a safety line so you don't loose the camera it just saved you drilling the board

SpinDR
Noob

Post by SpinDR » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:19 am

Indigo - thanks for the info. I'll look into that.
Kryten - its just one of those things where its a 400 dollar camera, if it falls off, its just the concern of scratching the lens if/when it falls off.
I'm still going to look into a custom mount, see how much that would cost. I have a basic design drawn up.

_Kryten_
Slightly dirty

Post by _Kryten_ » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:16 pm

I do have to say the contours are real strong I knocked my self out while I was wearing mine and not a problem and I had a bad fall last year at the UK comps and it's still working fine but both time it did an auto shut off of some kind but yeah it still works like a beast. My view is if you spend all that money on something like that and it breaks at the first fall its certainly not worth the money after all its a camera for extreme sports.

Return to “The Shed”