Solid tyres

Board building, design, technical innovations and new equipment. Post and discuss your latest creations, ideas, designs and builds here(Pictures not required LOL)

Moderator: BgSurfer

barxx
Slightly dirty

Solid tyres

Post by barxx » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:52 pm

Was pondering the other day about people posting about punctures/prevention etc.

And i got to taking a trip down memory lane. I do remember when i was a mountain biker a company used to make solid tyres. No tubes, no punctures.

These were made in various compounds so emulated various p.s.i's.

They were made in diffrent colourways depending on the p.s.i., Yellow=35p.s.i. Red=45p.s.i. etc. I even remember they made marble coloured ones if you wanted now they were cool!

Now i ain't no manufacture or anything but does anyone think this sort of thing may work for boarding? or has anyone tried it? What do we think the pros/cons of this would be? Is this idea a runner?

Discuss.
[font="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][color="Red"]If you're gonna be dumb, then you gotta be tough[/color][/SIZE][/font]

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:33 pm

You can get puncture proof solid mobility scooter tyres that fit mountain boards but they're expensive and I have no idea what "psi" they are set at. Think it would be much better to get some hard compound Trampa tread tyres and line them with kevlar fabric (between the inner tube and tyre).
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

barxx
Slightly dirty

Post by barxx » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:07 pm

Yer but you can't get mobility tyres in cool colours! The p.s.i. thing was a great idea i thought and as i remember they weren't expensive and lasted alot longer than normal tyres so making them in the long run, cheap.

I've never had a puncture (can't believe i just said that!) but know that alot do. Yer we did all the same tricks with our bikes. Slime, tyre linings etc. but this was the only way to prevent sidewall punctures and 'snakebites'.

Also i asked a copper fro the kevlar fabric from his stab vest, he was very rude about it
[font="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][color="Red"]If you're gonna be dumb, then you gotta be tough[/color][/SIZE][/font]

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:14 pm

A work buddy and i had a go at trying to fill sack truck tires with industrial high preasure filler foam. Very messy and totally flat spotted just from the weight of the trucks.
Toatally still think its doable if you find the right expanding product. Acctually sika do an expanding resin, so maybe that wwould work. Rubber/latex would be the obvoious but then weight becomes a problem.

Return to “The Shed”