no more puncutres with this idea

Board building, design, technical innovations and new equipment. Post and discuss your latest creations, ideas, designs and builds here(Pictures not required LOL)

Moderator: BgSurfer

Ben
Old timer

no more puncutres with this idea

Post by Ben » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:28 am

im sure its been posted here before but couldnt find it.

anyway obviously this would have to be scaled down and its by no means ideal for cornering and sliding. interesting all the same...

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/3ACfu1RQYZE?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/3ACfu1RQYZE?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

barxx
Slightly dirty

Post by barxx » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:06 pm

Yer, good idea just wouldn't work for all the reasons. Like i've posted before solid tyres in verious grades of hardness will work so we all have the psi we like to ride with
[font="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][color="Red"]If you're gonna be dumb, then you gotta be tough[/color][/SIZE][/font]

Michael
Dirty

Post by Michael » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:30 pm

I think someone had already designed this for a mountainboard.

http://www.designbuzz.com/mountainboard-wheel-makes-your-ride-more-safe-and-enjoyable/
I can do a wheelie on a uni-cycle...

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:42 pm

yeah that was the one i was thinking of Michael. wonder how it would handle a bump at speed...

Michael
Dirty

Post by Michael » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:15 pm

Would it be different to hitting a bump on a normal wheel?

I think that cornering would be interesting, those things look like they could get a little bendy

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:14 pm

There was a group of italian design students at the world downhill a couple of years back who had a project to come up with something for mountainboarding. This was one of the designs we were presented with. We had to give feedback on all of them and my thoughts immediately sprung to 'what happens when it fills with gravel?' and how more grim than normal it would be when i hit a dog egg. Fair play to the designers though, most of them had about 24hrs experience of mountainboarding before they had to come up with a concept.

Michael
Dirty

Post by Michael » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:04 pm

Its a pretty cool idea, defiantly something i would like to see pop up some time.

If it worked properly i can see it being awesome for freeride. All those who have had to cut i good session short due to a puncture will know what i mean

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:40 pm

Why would those things fill up with gravel? Wouldn't the gravel come out right away?

I think these look very interesting, but to get a stiff ride you need to fill all the holes with plastic pegs, and you end up with a heavy wheel. Maybe if there was more of a compromise with a regular wheel?

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:10 pm

slide sideways and mud, small stones (gravel) and dog shit will end up in your wheel. Maybe it's just the type of riding i do?
Not had a puncture in about 8 or 9 years.

Maybe they could be good for park and smooth stuff but for what I like to hit, the wheel doesn't need re-inventing. 10's for the win!

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:28 pm

sir seymour wrote:Not had a puncture in about 8 or 9 years.

may we all be so lucky!
is that cause you always ride tens?

id add to this that even with tens, i bet you could get a puncture here in Israel :P in the uk everything is wet lol though im sure you have ridden abroad too

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:32 pm

some of the rock in the alps i've probably come close but just been lucky. Imagine the terrain in israel is comparable to cyprus and that is proper rubber shredding material. Never managed to ride over there but the rock climbing smashed be to bits in hours. I don't always ride 10's but do mainly. Think it's also to do with tyre pressure. I never run 10's at more than 16psi and on very rocky stuff will drop as low as 8psi as that seems to get you through much faster. The sidewalls on those things are so thick that thay can cope with the low pressure and if you go much higher you get bounced off.
My 8" alpha lite's have no tread left but have still never punctured. Now that i don't understand! I do remember getting a puncture on 2 striker 9"s in one day, but that was a very very long time ago. Maybe it's the anti-gravity air i inflate them with.

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:07 am

spot on about cyprus, israel has VERY similar terrain. might have to give tens a go at some point (they fit on trispokes of course?)

snowmonco
Dirty

Post by snowmonco » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:16 am

sir seymour wrote:...
Not had a puncture in about 8 or 9 years.

Wow! I don't think this will be achievable here in Portugal with the kind of Mediterranean vegetation we normally have. Hard thorns from bramble bushes are a killer, at least to T1s. What kind of protection do you use on your tires against punctures? I use anti-puncture tape but it's far from foolproof.
- Enjoy the Ride -

chrischabot81
Noob

Post by chrischabot81 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:59 am

I want!

Gaz
Slightly dirty

Post by Gaz » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:54 pm

Nice concept but it'll never be as good as a pneumatic tyre. There must be some way of reinforcing the tyre so they are more puncture proof?

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:42 pm

snowmonco wrote:Wow! I don't think this will be achievable here in Portugal with the kind of Mediterranean vegetation we normally have. Hard thorns from bramble bushes are a killer, at least to T1s. What kind of protection do you use on your tires against punctures? I use anti-puncture tape but it's far from foolproof.

Nothing at all!

Generally speaking when i'm riding terrain where i would be likely to get a puncture i'm on 10's which are 4-ply construction (t1's are 2-ply) and from the feel, the rubber itself is a lot tougher than your standard 8". If i'm on 8's then i'm either at a centre on a nicely groomed track or up in the cotswold hills where it is mostly like this:

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:14 am

I've found a really foolproof way of not getting punctures.

I never ride.
Mutley wrote:Dude you are an inspiration, and a nut job all rolled into one.

Brennig wrote:Trees are where the party's at.

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:54 pm

leapb4ulook wrote:I've found a really foolproof way of not getting punctures.

I never ride.

Thats about where Im at right now
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

lone_deranger
Noob

Post by lone_deranger » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:03 pm

Not directly related but a great variable size wheel concept for rural transportation. Sure to have spin-off applications...
roadless:cool:

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:55 pm

That's a great idea, super excited to see where it goes. Thanks for sharing it.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Return to “The Shed”