MBS BLADE truck axle size

Board building, design, technical innovations and new equipment. Post and discuss your latest creations, ideas, designs and builds here(Pictures not required LOL)

Moderator: BgSurfer

david0241
Slightly dirty

MBS BLADE truck axle size

Post by david0241 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:17 pm

I put out a good offer for an mbs blade to use as a mountainboard - longboard hybrid.
I was just curious about the axle size on the old trucks that come packaged with the board.
Does anyone here know? It would be freaking awesome if they were 8".
Just straight trade longboard wheels and mountainboard wheels whenever need be.
Any info would be awesome. Thanks!
Attachments
00B0B_2z7PeY49KAw_600x450.jpg

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:12 am

I have a couple of Blades. Pretty sure axle length is 16" and diameter is 12 mm. I don't believe it will be easy to find a bearing that will fit that axle and a skateboard wheel. Axle diameter would be the same as Matrix Trucks. See table below:

~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

david0241
Slightly dirty

Post by david0241 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:24 am

Well that's disappointing to hear. :/
Thanks for the info, wasn't sure if the axle size had changed when they re-styled them as Matrix's.
But hey, at $65 bucks, I believe the blade would still make a good board for friends to use no? As far as I know, the blade USE to be fairly top of the line correct?
How easy would it be to put F-series bindings on it? Simple as a drilling a hole by each of the existing 2 Free-Flex binding holes?

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:46 am

id assume drilling would be fine, though i honestly dont know. anyway if you do deside to drill, this should help.

be aware this is based on a trampa deck shape, but i really dony think it will make much of a differance. just make sure you stand on the board after marking it and BEFORE drilling it, to make sure the stance isnt too wide...
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:35 pm

Blades were awesome yes.
Watch out though. If the deck has concave, you want to be gentle with it as it will crack otherwise. If no concave, jump away.

As for drilling, I would fill the existing holes with epoxy glue, and rotate the board 180 degress before drilling new holes.

david0241
Slightly dirty

Post by david0241 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:15 pm

Wait, what do you mean it will crack if it has concave Mikael? As far as I knew, the concave helped strengthen? Also, I have leftover matrix lite top trucks from when I converted some standard matrix into matrix hybrid pros, converting these old "multi-shock trucks" on the blade into matrix sound like a good idea or a bad one? Assuming it would even work. I thought I'd heard stories of successful conversions of this sort as well.

david0241
Slightly dirty

Post by david0241 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:27 pm

I'll probably use my comp 95 for hole spacing and the like since I can just put a marker through the fully drilled holes. What I'm probably gonna end up doing it seeing if I can scoop up some snowboard binding straps for cheap (might even scoop up some freebies) and just use the mbs ladder and l-brackets. Budget board made awesome. :0

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:48 am

The photo you posted looks like it could be a Gen I. The Gen I Blade is thinner, lighter and stiffer which makes it more brittle than the Gen II. I have both. I used the Gen I deck as a general purpose street carver. They are classics IMO.

Gen I Blade street carver:

~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke

david0241
Slightly dirty

Post by david0241 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:05 pm

Well it's in my possession now. Albeit, yours is intirely more sexy than mine. It's atrocious the condition mine was in... I'm restoring as much of it as i can. Just for fun I tried out the Matrix top truck swap. It does require that you purchase a new kingpin though since the other top truck is significantly shorter. Problem is, the blade has very little room for the top truck and even more problematic is how close the new holes would have to be to the old ones. Maybe if I find a real cheap deck or something in the future with a larger, more flat surface like current boards. It would be nice to cut off some of the weight. I maybe able to make it work, but chances are the metal top trucks go back on... Anyhow, is there any way to define gen I and gen II?
Attachments
IMG_0288269.jpg

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:56 pm

Generation I (first issue) too brittle for big air. It has concave and camber in the deck and is lighter.

Generation II (2nd issue) -- enough flex for aggressive off-road, thicker, heavier, and camber without concave.

Both have the same shape and graphics/colors.
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke

david0241
Slightly dirty

Post by david0241 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:55 pm

Wish I had another to compare. I do know that when I jumped it off the ground, it has enough flex to bottom out (super easily so). Is there a significant difference between the thickness? Ill go head and take a side view shot of it on the ground.

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:20 pm

It sounds like you don't know what concave is or how to tell? Concave means that when you stand on your board with feet in the bindings, the board isn't flat under your feet. It arches a bit from your heel to your toes, and usually is in contact with your toes and heel where a regular "flat" board wouldn't be.

If you board bottoms out when you stand on it, there's a good chance it's a gen1.

Also, I bought a Razor deck a few years back and mounted matrix on it without a problem. The hole pattern for eggs is a little off, but if you use those holed to align the top truck, then drill the skate hole pattern first, then you can adjust the spring holes after the truck is mounted.

david0241
Slightly dirty

Post by david0241 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:58 pm

No no no, lol, I know what concavity is, it's just differentiating the two. The Gen II blade has absolutely no concavity in the center at all? Well I'm good on the jumping anyhow, that thing is a heavy freaking beast, and if I want to jump, I'll take my light as a mitten Comp 95, or the Pro 100. I finished restoring it and it looks great now but wow. The thing rides pretty slow too... is this due to weight, the larger wheels, or would it be simply because I have yet to replace the bearings? Or all 3 combined?

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:56 am

No reason a board should be slow, except for dead bearings or flat tires. Sounds like you're set!
Also, I _think_ the Gen Is come with red trucks, and the Gen IIs come with black trucks, so you may have lucked out and got a Gen II...

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:03 pm

My Gen II Blade has red bottom trucks ...
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke

Return to “The Shed”