Build V5 Brakes

Board building, design, technical innovations and new equipment. Post and discuss your latest creations, ideas, designs and builds here(Pictures not required LOL)

Moderator: BgSurfer

_Kryten_
Slightly dirty

Build V5 Brakes

Post by _Kryten_ » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:10 pm

ok guys it's been some time since my last How To Tutorial so here we go the how to put together your own V5 brake kit.
here are the things you'll need to make your brake kit

2 discs
2 M8 socket caps 25mm in length with washers
10 M4 countersunk screws
10 M4 Nylock nuts
10 spacers
brake leaver and handle
brake cable
and last of all the actual brakes

ok so the only real thing you have to mess with are the actual brake arms i have used the brand Blanks U brake at the pivot point on these are the same as the v5's. first thing to these that you'll need to do is pop off the chrome covers to the pivots as the M8 socket caps will not go through with these on see brake pic 1

also the internal part with the sprung part need to be switch over to either side see brake pic 2 and 3 for before and after.

once you have done this there are 2 nipples ( hehe he said nipples) on either side of the brakes you'll see that before that the sprung part would sit in a notch but now its on the other side there is no notch so go ahead and make your own.

Now you will see where the cable go on the brake and where it is locked into place these two peace's need to be switch as the nut might connect with the hanger other wise and could prevent you from braking. ok as for discs o sourced a local company that would make these for me so if you cant find a company your self that will make these don't hesitate to ask ill be happy to ship discs, M8 socket caps, M4 screws and nylock nuts for cost of the parts and shipping only depending on your location

if you do try this or want more advice PM me I will be happy to help. I've gone 1 step feather and made a front ad rear brake kit that's yet to be tested but be assured the single kit works great and was tested at Macclesfield forest.

lone_deranger
Noob

Post by lone_deranger » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:18 am

Great work!:cool:

lone_deranger
Noob

Post by lone_deranger » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:25 am

...might be worth adding in the length of the spacers and M4 screws you used.

_Kryten_
Slightly dirty

Post by _Kryten_ » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:30 am

Will do once I can get in the garage later thanks

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

_Kryten_
Slightly dirty

Post by _Kryten_ » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:52 am

_Kryten_ wrote:ok guys it's been some time since my last How To Tutorial so here we go the how to put together your own V5 brake kit.
here are the things you'll need to make your brake kit

2 discs
2 M8 socket caps 25mm in length with washers
10 M4 countersunk screws
10 M4 Nylock nuts
10 spacers from MBS
brake leaver and handle
brake cable
and last of all the actual brakes

ok so the only real thing you have to mess with are the actual brake arms i have used the brand Blanks U brake at the pivot point on these are the same as the v5's. first thing to these that you'll need to do is pop off the chrome covers to the pivots as the M8 socket caps will not go through with these on see brake pic 1

also the internal part with the sprung part need to be switch over to either side see brake pic 2 and 3 for before and after.

once you have done this there are 2 nipples ( hehe he said nipples) on either side of the brakes you'll see that before that the sprung part would sit in a notch but now its on the other side there is no notch so go ahead and make your own.

Now you will see where the cable go on the brake and where it is locked into place these two peace's need to be switch as the nut might connect with the hanger other wise and could prevent you from braking. ok as for discs o sourced a local company that would make these for me so if you cant find a company your self that will make these don't hesitate to ask ill be happy to ship discs, M8 socket caps, M4 screws and nylock nuts for cost of the parts and shipping only depending on your location

if you do try this or want more advice PM me I will be happy to help. I've gone 1 step feather and made a front ad rear brake kit that's yet to be tested but be assured the single kit works great and was tested at Macclesfield forest.

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:58 pm

Nice DIY innovation Kryten, good work. I like it.

Any problems with the bottoms of the caliper arms hanging on rocks or other obstacles?
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

Daleyg3
Dirty

Post by Daleyg3 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:00 am

I wanna know what the return to centre is like mate :)

SpinDR
Noob

Post by SpinDR » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:43 pm

Where did you get the brake arms? I might have overlooked that, but those look much nicer than a standard v5 style arms.

_Kryten_
Slightly dirty

Post by _Kryten_ » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:04 am

There U brakes from eBay cos around £10

kitemechanics
Noob

Awesome

Post by kitemechanics » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:45 am

Hi Kryten, I like what you have done there. looks like a sound set up. its been a while since i have played with anything on the bmx scene but i do remember being able to get something called a brake mixer (part of a gyro set). this was used to run gyro's for 360degree turning and braking. you should be able to use one of these mixers to split your front and rear brake cables and run your front and rear brake's from just one lever. You can adjust the brake mix at the brake end by playing with the cables to get a good brake balance of your preference.

_Kryten_
Slightly dirty

Post by _Kryten_ » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:01 am

I did look into the "brake mixer" even rang a few companies up unfortunately they don't supply long cables so I went for this setup instead
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1389866530819.jpg

kitemechanics
Noob

Post by kitemechanics » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:15 am

Nice work! I think applying brake forces to all four wheels is the way to go. You for one are not applying as much lateral force to four wheels as you would to two wheels for the same amount of breaking. You also ballance the weight of board which can only be a good thing for overall handling. Awesome!

Gaz
Slightly dirty

Post by Gaz » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:30 am

I like the idea from the double redundancy point of view. The brake pad came off my V5 brakes while I was riding a very steep gnarly trail last year. With this setup it would have been less likely to happen and if it did you would still have the other set of brakes to control the speed. Definite improvement over the V5 type system. Excellent idea Kryter's.

EspectroB
Baby

Post by EspectroB » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:21 am

Hello, I found a very interesting idea, but the trucks of my mountainboard not have holes, and parts in Brazil are very expensive. So I wanted a way to adapt this system on my board. Anyone know a way to adapatar brakes on these trucks without holes for the screw? Hugs from Brazil. - Sorry for my bad english : (

Return to “The Shed”