comp 26x mods

Board building, design, technical innovations and new equipment. Post and discuss your latest creations, ideas, designs and builds here(Pictures not required LOL)

Moderator: BgSurfer

kyleveee
Noob

comp 26x mods

Post by kyleveee » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:34 am

So I'm new to this sport. Wanted an atb since I was a kid and finally got one. I've snowboarded for 14 years and have wakeboarded here and there as well so I'm not totally new. got on the board and felt right at home. Anywaysssssss. I bought a comp 26x online and for the most part love it. I'm 6'4" and about 180 and coming from my background a really like the extra board length. The weight is killing me though. I mainly have been downhill riding but as I get more versed I am interested in a little park/ freestyle/ kiting as well. I don't want to get a new board but I was looking to shred some weight. already went to lighter bindings and took off the brake (for now). I've seen some of yall drilling shaping trampas and was wondering if drilling out the deck inside the trucks and 2-3 holes under each footplate would affect the strength a whole lot. I also plan on dropping the trucks about 1/2-1" and trimming the ends as well. To make up for the clearance and ease of 50/50s I would be flipping the trucks. And maybe taking a little off the sides/ shaping it up a bit.when this bad boy is finished it'll be archived in the frankenboards for sure. My bindings are almost finished and are gunna be nasty. Any help would be appreciated seeing as I scoured all the forums and found about 2 posts on drilling mbs decks. Let the "get a trampa/ new board" comments begin.

LivEviL

Post by LivEviL » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:37 am

Don't drill holes in a MBS deck. Trampa is the only deck you can do that to. What kind of trucks are on it now? also what hub?
He's no good to me dead.

kyleveee
Noob

Post by kyleveee » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:22 am

Matrix channels and 9in tri spokes.

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:47 am

well 9s and trispokes are both the heaviest you can get. why not get some lighter wheels (i DONT recommeded the MBS twister) and some 8" tyres?

also what do you mean by drop the trucks and how are you planning on doing that?
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

kyleveee
Noob

Post by kyleveee » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:20 am

I had thought about it are the axels the same for 8 &9s. Am trying to not spend too much. By dropping the trucks i mean there is about another half inch before the tip bends so i was going to redrill truck holes below the stock holes and then trim the board ends that half inch and fill the extra holes. Then by flipping the trucks i would regain that ground clearance.i guess u can't have your cake and eat it too.

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:46 am

yes the axles are the same for 8's 9's and even 10's.

not really sure as to what you feel you will gain by re-drilling lower. you will shorten your axle to axle distance, stiffen the deck (or rather remove some of the flex) and unless im not thinking straight i believe moving the axles down on the deck tip will infact raise, not lower, the deck height.

also i dont have any experience drilling an MBS but my gut tells me its not a good idea. as for reshaping the ends - less of an issue although you might be opening up a gap for water etc to seep into the deck laminate

kyleveee
Noob

Post by kyleveee » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:52 am

Haha Yu are right about lowering the trucks sir. Thanks for all your help i think i might just see about trading some 9s for some 8s. Really glad i asked and just didn't chop my board to shite.

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:07 pm

think twice cut once right? ;)

glad i helped :)

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:22 am

Absolutly flip the hangers. I've got one I use as a break board and have done a few mods that have taken it from a breeze block to what a buddy has nicknamed the cloud cos it seems to float along.

mods are flipped matrix, a west coast springless kit with orrange eggs squeezed tight, kids backless snowboard bindings, 9s with two gi tri spokes and two magnura cast alloy hubs to go with a hydrolic break.

The bindings are the secret to dealing with the weight. The fliped hangers stop any bottom banging and stiffen the ride. And the springless oranges give wobbeless speed carving.

All that costs a fair bit of money tho, so I, d recomend just getting some lighter hubs and 8s, and ditch the break for at least the first year to learn to control the board.

kyleveee
Noob

Post by kyleveee » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:08 pm

So here's what im work with for now. Flipped the trucks, Flow style bindings, removed brake, orange eggs adjusted depending on riding. still have some work but it's on it's way. flipping the trucks was crucial. deck was a little saggy (its 11 years old so not surprised) and thats fixed now with 7inch clearance in the the center of the board (highest point). had a couple of Frankenbindings but these are by far the winner. board is now amazingly responsive and smooth. i believe 8inch tires and lighter hubs will get it where i want, but its fine for now.
Attachments
binding 2.jpg
board.jpg

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:27 am

You won't believe what a difference 8-inch wheels will make.
A couple of things:
- 8" tires work with 8" tubes, so if you intend to buy just the tires, you'll need tubes too.
- lighter hubs such as the rockstar or rockstar pros won't fit 9" tires.

So if you're on a budget, I'd recommend looking for 8" tires/tubes first, and also the hardware to ditch the brake discs. Then later look into lighter hubs.

Also look here, could be a sweet deal for you: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/spo/4429189428.html

Return to “The Shed”