Are E-Boards the future of mountainboarding ?

Board building, design, technical innovations and new equipment. Post and discuss your latest creations, ideas, designs and builds here(Pictures not required LOL)

Moderator: BgSurfer

Flexboardz
Dirty

Are E-Boards the future of mountainboarding ?

Post by Flexboardz » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:48 am

Here is a video of an E-Trampa. Don't pay attention to the first 30s where they use a lift (weird for a powered board) but after that it allows to ride a long bike track that would be either too slow or too fast without power/brake of an Eboard.

Now imagine it on any road, track, parks, countryside, whatever...I am definitely optimistic but it might be a good way to rejuvenate our passion

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-FZL7CsCTeY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:54 pm

That does look like a lot of fun. Having a baked-in braking system is nice too.
For me the most important part would be to have a wireless controller.

Flexboardz
Dirty

Post by Flexboardz » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:27 am

Yes, it has a wireless remote control...

The great interest for me is that it opens unlimited grounds for mountainboard riding : too flat or too steep is not a problem anymore !

E-mountainboards could even be perfect for commuting and urban transportation...

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:43 am

The big downside is the weight though. You'll need more power and more energy storage than e-skateboards, on top of already heavy mountainboard designs.

Worth doing (right), though.

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:45 am

Kickstarter anyone?

Flexboardz
Dirty

Post by Flexboardz » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:01 pm

agree for the weight, eventhough, today, a power package might is around 2 kg... on a 6 kg board (8 kg + with power), it's acceptable (not meant for freestyle but simply riding)...in the 2000', we used to ride heavier boards.

There are already few (successful) kickstarter campaigns for e-skates but not yet for e-mtb (but many DIY)

indigo_wolf
Experienced

Post by indigo_wolf » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:44 am

Flexboardz wrote:There are already few (successful) kickstarter campaigns for e-skates but not yet for e-mtb (but many DIY)

The Gnarboard started on Kickstarter and the Trail Rider model was 86 lbs (:eek:) of 4-wheel drive post-apocalyptic metal mega-madness.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/h8e1RucLEAQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ATB,
Sam

Flexboardz
Dirty

Post by Flexboardz » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:30 am

Apologize guys... I made a mistake in the title/question of the post!

In fact, I was meaning : Are E-boards the future of mountainboard INDUSTRY

Considering the poor health of our industry after 20 years of history, new products and new markets opportunities could bring some fresh air...

indigo_wolf
Experienced

Post by indigo_wolf » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:59 pm

Flexboardz wrote:Apologize guys... I made a mistake in the title/question of the post!

In fact, I was meaning : Are E-boards the future of mountainboard INDUSTRY

Considering the poor health of our industry after 20 years of history, new products and new markets opportunities could bring some fresh air...

Off hand, I would say not.... the gateway drug for any hobby/sport has to overcome a certain sticker shock threshold.

Standard non-powered mountain boards are going to always fill that niche.

Now, it would be interesting to see someone comeout with a modular board made out of something as bombproof as Trampa decks, but pre drilled/tapped for E-board running gear that could be purchased as a "hop-up" kit.

ATB,
Sam

Flexboardz
Dirty

Post by Flexboardz » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:47 pm

Does "sticker shock threshold" mean "price sensitive"? if yes, I agree.

However, today, it takes only +-200 usd (at RC customer price) to power a standard non powered mountainboard...(assuming it is prepared to receive motor and battery which is not the case yet)... and it will probably be half of that soon...

For such price, we can use our powered "standard mountainboard" everywhere even for convenient purpose like transportation...

SCRAMBOARDS
Baby

Scramboards E-MTB Trampa conversions

Post by SCRAMBOARDS » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:16 am

Hey we have conversion kits and parts to covert MTB boards to 2wd electric.
Scramboards E-MTB adds around 10lbs of weight and we only use quality branded parts.
http://www.scramboards.com

SCRAMBOARDS
Baby

Post by SCRAMBOARDS » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:20 am

check out scramboards if you want a conversion cheers

Return to “The Shed”