No
68%

Total votes: 68

pd2h

Post by pd2h » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:54 am

Yes but only somtimes!!

Eric Briner

Post by Eric Briner » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:26 pm

One could turn these pads 90 deg. inward for wheel abrasion protection. This brings me to my next idea. FENDER PANTS!:p

Joe Gat
Noob

Post by Joe Gat » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:39 pm

Always keep your options open .... have a brake board and a non-braked board! .. if you can.

It's not a question of ''which one or the other is best''?

Depends what, where and even when you're riding.

Also, use different wheels & tyres for the different surfaces/ terrains you're ridding too.

E.g. I like to ride at my best on non-braked e.g. open fast free-ride, or;

Stick the slick Air Liners on at max 50 psi and hammer it down some nice fast country lanes (the brakes are for other vehicles on the road ... and/or them really steep/fast sections, etc.), if you JUST ride one or the other you are missing out.

As for say 4 man BX comps (done that with & without brakes) brakes really shouldn't be allowed ... which was the subject of an old ATB Sports forum many years ago.

However, the single one man timed runs at the ATBA-UK/ATB-Wales event to be held on 30/31 July in Llanwrtydd Wells allows braked boards too ... because it's all about RIDDING FOR ALL PREFERRED STYLES AND LEVELS, bar none.

Fill your quiver .. for all occasions.

Cheers
Joe

Joe Gat
Noob

Post by Joe Gat » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:54 pm

PS

Just noticed a query wrt the MBS V5 Brake Kit.

As standard, they are inadequate.

With a bit of tweaking they can be quite useful .. which is what I've done and have been using for years:

1. Replace the standard/normal brake pads with PHAT PADS (these are twice the width and are what downhill mountain bikers (used to?) use), which can/could be got from good cycle shops.

2. Add STRONG WASHERS to the end linkages of the cables to stop them pulling/ripping out under heavy pulling/braking.

3. Replace the BRAKE LEVER with a larger/longer one, this will increase your leverage, hence braking strength/ability.

Happy ridding

Cheers
Joe

Ryker Gro.
Noob

Post by Ryker Gro. » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:41 pm

I dont use brakes for a number of reasons, main one being its cumbersome to ride with that big rope going from your hand to your trucks, and it hurts like hell if you wipe out and the handbrake hits you in the head!

lilmoyse
Dirty

Post by lilmoyse » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:16 pm

you only need breaks if your riding fast concrete. if your on dirt/park/freesyle then to be honest, its easy and fun to learn to powerslide...

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:35 pm

You need them for single trails too.

One thing people often miss is that riding with brakes helps you progress. If you know you have the brake to help you when things get a bit out of control, then you're going to try harder stuff, and eventually get better at it.

At least that's the idea! I never had brakes that I trusted so never got to try it...

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:36 am

Mikael wrote:One thing people often miss is that riding with brakes helps you progress. If you know you have the brake to help you when things get a bit out of control, then you're going to try harder stuff, and eventually get better at it.

I agree completely. Brakes aren't about going fast or going slow, they are about control, it's all about control.
Mutley wrote:Dude you are an inspiration, and a nut job all rolled into one.

Brennig wrote:Trees are where the party's at.

lilmoyse
Dirty

Post by lilmoyse » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:02 pm

yeah but your not learning control. your learning to use a break lol. mountain boarding is about just going for stuff, fair enough if you use a brake for pro downhill but when you start i think you should just do it without

GoofyMark

Post by GoofyMark » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:16 pm

A lot of the trails I hit are more fun with a brake. Yeah I could ride them without, but then I spend most of the time concentrating on speed checking, and because of the length of the runs I have to do them in a couple of go's rather than hit them in one without the brake, just because its too much hard work keeping the speed down. Some runs especially longer ones are just suited too brakes more!

The other thing is that you can take certain sections faster with the brake, as you do not necessarily need to begin controlling your speed as soon with a brake, but that is surface dependant....

Exploring new stuff, and night riding are also good times to use a brake.

But beginners should definitely learn without a brake, no question;-)
Bring on the night!

facebook.com/thatlooksdangerous

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:40 pm

and it hurts like hell if you wipe out and the handbrake hits you in the head!

hurts more if you slide off a 100 meter cliff when not quite managing to ride out a steep mountain hairpin bend.

wander how many people who voted no in this thred have tried riding with a modern hydrolic break unit on fast terrain?

Ian@KentATB

Post by Ian@KentATB » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:05 pm

No two ways about it. It is essential in that sort of terrain. Stupid to ride without one , unless you are a exceptionally gifted rider.
[align=center][font=Impact]www.kentatb.com

[font=Courier New][color=DarkGreen][size=134]Freeriding - it's a monk's life
[/font][/SIZE][/color][/font][/align]

eddie4x
Slightly dirty

Post by eddie4x » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:59 pm

cable disc brakes with a bmx cable spliter good idear that
PSN..... SixSixOne
Facebook..... Eddie grice
Twitter..... Eddie4x
Skype..... Eddieaka661
Youtube..... Nosno Eddie

DrSkaCtopus
Noob

Post by DrSkaCtopus » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:06 pm

I ran the MBS brakes on my old mountain board. Didn't really do much. I go brakeless, now. ;D

Gaz
Slightly dirty

Post by Gaz » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:01 am

eddie4x wrote:cable disc brakes with a bmx cable spliter good idear that

I have that setup on my no sno. Works well apart from the cable is a little short so when you pull on the cable while riding the brakes come on. probably ok if you are under 5' 8" tall or have long monkey arms.

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”