Do use breaks?

Yes
32%
No
68%

Total votes: 68

Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie

Post by Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:59 am

Damn sounds like you got a really good deal man.

need a pair of decent cheap brakes other than V-brakes because i hear they suck.

Buffalo
Noob

Post by Buffalo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:18 am

Thanks for posting a pic BDirthead. So they are disc brakes! I have considered making a disc brake setup. One of the problems I anticipated was damaging/bending a disc on a rock. Even using a small 140 mm disc doesn't seem to leave a lot of clearance. Probably worth the potential problems as I'm sure performance is way better than any V brake system. I have a couple of calipers laying around in my bike parts bin. I should just make a disc setup!

Post by Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:22 am

i think im going to get help from a bike shop on making my own brakes.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:23 am

Buffalo wrote:Thanks for posting a pic BDirthead. So they are disc brakes! I have considered making a disc brake setup. One of the problems I anticipated was damaging/bending a disc on a rock. Even using a small 140 mm disc doesn't seem to leave a lot of clearance. Probably worth the potential problems as I'm sure performance is way better than any V brake system. I have a couple of calipers laying around in my bike parts bin. I should just make a disc setup!

pretty sure someone made a disk guard out of plastic milk bottles, i may be mistaken though...thinking about it, that really wouldnt work if u hit a big rock. Im sure some break system has guards, probably no sno
My site: [color="Red"]OneDayMedia[/color]

BDirthead
Experienced

Post by BDirthead » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:12 pm

When I was riding my new brake board this past weekend, Mikael kept saying how he thinks the disk will be easily damaged. I'm not too worried about it, because boards are meant to be thrashed. But I have thought about putting 9" tires on this set-up. I think the extra clearance could help protect the brake system a little. I mostly ride this set-up on gnarly downhill, so the tall tires will help with that terrain also. I'm just kind of lazy, so I'm going to ride it as is until a get a flat or something...

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:13 pm

could u not easily replace the discs if they do get damaged? not sure how much they are but u can pick them up pretty cheap i think
My site: [color="Red"]OneDayMedia[/color]

BDirthead
Experienced

Post by BDirthead » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:22 pm

Jasper wrote:could u not easily replace the discs if they do get damaged? not sure how much they are but u can pick them up pretty cheap i think

Good idea, I'll have to look for some replacement parts. I want to try and get another set of these brakes, so I can have one board set-up with 8" tires and one with 9".

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:37 pm

the nosno disc guard is just a semi-circle of ~5mm alloy which bolts to the bottom of the brake mount. Should be quite easy to knock up for someone who's got the know-how and judging by the gouges in my nosno ones, they do an important job! Knocking the discs out of line causes a lot of rub and slow flat sections but nothing that tweaking the hub bolts and a bit of persuasion with a big allen key as a lever won't sort out.
I find that 9" tyres improve the braking response a hell of a lot with 8" still locking and sliding far too easy (with brakes on the front end). I only really use brakes on 9 or 10" setup.
Also a second hand set of hope mini-mono calipers and some goodridge steel braid brake hose shouldn't set you back too much ;) Giant made a great lever with an adjuster wheel on too so you can change your brake bite as you ride for just limiting your top end or aggressive for tight techy trails.

[quote]i have found gloves work far better than any brake even on slick asphalt.[\QUOTE]
Not that i doubt your riding ability and i do love the extra thrill of non-brake riding but hydraulic disc brakes work better for slowing you on the road from 40+mph without ending up 'going for pizza'.

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:23 pm

leapb4ulook wrote:...... you're a freerider at heart, you've just been infected with freestyle.

Bucket
Noob

Post by Bucket » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:24 am

BDirthead wrote:Don't know the type of brakes system on my new board, but I bought it complete off of E-Bay ($199 US).

Is there a web sight where i can get a set of those?
If it's e-bay exactly what are they called beyond Munros?
If you have to build them your self does any one have a parts list?

Travis
Old timer

Post by Travis » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:56 am

That Munro system is essentially what Dave and I are making. We figured having discs would make up for it not being hydraulic.
noTramp brake-boarder and proud!

GoofyMark

Post by GoofyMark » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:02 am

Travis wrote:That Munro system is essentially what Dave and I are making. We figured having discs would make up for it not being hydraulic.

I reckon you could be right, the abs system requires some serious force to stop quickly, whereas the nosno sytem is so sensitive you can lock the front wheels up with one finger. I reckon non-hydraulic discs could be a good compromise, but i wouldnt be happy unless i found a way to protect the discs.
Bring on the night!

facebook.com/thatlooksdangerous

Travis
Old timer

Post by Travis » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:51 am

yeah that will be the next step once we're happy with the brakes working. Not thought about any designs yet though.
noTramp brake-boarder and proud!

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:57 am

GoofyMark wrote:but i wouldnt be happy unless i found a way to protect the discs.

Midget's with axe's blue-tacked to the front axel :)
leapb4ulook wrote:...... you're a freerider at heart, you've just been infected with freestyle.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:14 am

Mutley wrote:Midget's with axe's blue-tacked to the front axel :)

Already been done.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Brewers12
Noob

Post by Brewers12 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:20 pm

So is the mbs v-5 brake kit even good

BDirthead
Experienced

Post by BDirthead » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:34 am

Brewers12 wrote:So is the mbs v-5 brake kit even good

It will slow you down a little (if adjusted properly), but it won't stop you. I do like the brakes, just to take the edge off high speeds or sketchy situations.

Eric Briner

DXB brake

Post by Eric Briner » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:54 pm

Jasper wrote:front, always front, if its on the back it just locks up and slides

This one's in the middle. An opposing dual piston on a 7in. disc with retract springs. There is virtually zero drag. It's a little stout, but like the unknown racer said, "If your gonna go fast, you better stop fast" (maybe racer X). This unit was fairly cheap through a pit bike parts supplier.

Post by Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:04 pm

haha racer X. nice, that board looks really cool tbh, would your legs hit the middle wheel though???

Eric Briner

Post by Eric Briner » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:45 pm

I bet hers would! Fabian is going to enter this board in a comp. in France this Saturday. The success or failure of this unit will depend on his performance. No pressure though.

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”