10%
hurt myself badly, screw freebords
10%

Total votes: 21

McCarver
Gringo

For those of you who have ridden a freeboard

Post by McCarver » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:24 pm

Have a friendi thinking of buying one. Would be interested in hearing feedback from the people that have ridden or are currently riding freebords.
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

parkerbomar

Post by parkerbomar » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:25 pm

takes a long time to learn/ get to the level you see in the videos of bombing hills.

also catching an edge is the fucking worst.
KCCO - r/bmw
Cheers,
Parker Bomar

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:42 pm

me and a few friends took to it straight away on our first go, maybe lucky, but i dodn't think its all that hard, a bit of other board riding experience is deffinetly an advantage, specially snowboard. the big thing tho is do you have the right terrain. for me, our local hills are not right and i had to travel to far to make it a regular thing and lost interest, ending up selling it to pay for my longboard. a hell of alot of fun tho once the technique clicks, totally changes the possibilitys of skating big fast hills. if your mates interested then they should just get one and see what they think, you can buy and sell on seconhand freebords for roughly the same price.

stlmtboarder

my 2 cents

Post by stlmtboarder » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:12 am

parkerbomar wrote: also catching an edge is the fucking worst.

^agreed, the learning curve is pretty difficult. i started off slow just learning some basic 360 slides. at low speeds its not impossible, but once you take it to hills you really need to be experienced. i once ate it trying to hit my first hill. i caught an edge and the concrete sliced me up pretty bad.

verdict: id rather longboard. but if your skilled on it than more power to you
Carpe Diem

tom

Post by tom » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:16 am

i dont longboard because i dont like not to have bindings. I have only tried freebording once it was really hard but it would be cool to get into. Does anyone know what is larger freeboarding or mountainboarding?

Alex's Phat Wheelz
Dirty

Post by Alex's Phat Wheelz » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:19 am

I imagine free boarding is

Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie

Post by Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:13 pm

its fun but kind of scary learning. the board moves around a lot hard to get good.

Roger knockhill
Dirty

Post by Roger knockhill » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:29 am

they really are brilliant ! you either love it or hate it, i took some beats learning but was well worth it, any and i mean any hill is doable when you have learnt the basics, tell your mate to forget about trying to ride it like a longboard because thats where people get mistaken, its more like a snowboard than a long board,(great in the rain too ) HELMETS are essential ! when you catch an edge it happens so fast you cant even see it coming, hope this helps :o

BryceAZ

Post by BryceAZ » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:46 am

We have one. Have to echo everyone else, the learning curve is steep. We never stuck with it long enough to get the hang of it.

ride_wv
Noob

Post by ride_wv » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:24 pm

I've got a Freebord, slides are fun and you can get creative with 'em. I never rode mine enough to improve my skills or burn through a set of wheels. Mine's gathering dust. Mountainboarding is sooo much better for me. Anyone wanna buy a Freebord in great condition? (couple years old, S2 bindings, maple deck, size 80 with older wheels and a brand new set of wheels too - $120 USD plus shipping cost hit me at mountainsandair at g mail dot com). My vote is "it's O.K., not my thing".

Travis
Old timer

Post by Travis » Tue May 01, 2012 9:40 am

I didn't have the balls to eat pavement on a regular basis, so sold it on. I never gave it a proper shot though to be fair, there are no wide open smooth hills round here to get used to it on. Still, I think the tolerances between riding nicely, and catching an edge and getting real hurt, are too fine. No room for error then it's onto the solid ground.
noTramp brake-boarder and proud!

follysurfer
Experienced

Post by follysurfer » Tue May 01, 2012 11:43 am

didn't think it was all that bad to learn on. The bindings are not real comfortable, but it's actually easier to learn on a mellow hill or parking garage. I felt it was easier to get the hang of controlling it when i had some speed. Just pretend the wheels are the edges on a snowboard and always keep an edge down, if not, you'll catch, just like in snowboarding.

DirtStar Army
Dirty

Post by DirtStar Army » Wed May 02, 2012 12:30 pm

Why would i want to ride any thing but my mountainboard???? Maybe im just hooked but i have tons of longboard and skate board.......dont use them any more. I would rather be monsterboarding insted.....
Van DeWitt
http://www.dirtstararmy.com
-DIRT B4 SKIRT-

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Thu May 03, 2012 11:58 am

great fun, if you have the right terrain. As with others i got bored of having to travel to find somewhere to ride it and more frustratingly not being able to skate the thing to a hill to ride. That's why i just go back to the longboards every time, they're more versatile. Once you're on the right road with a freebord however they are fricking awesome.
Best tips i can give for learning is go fast and imagine you're on a snowboard on snow. When all goes tits up, remember bloody quickly you're not on a snowboard on snow.

tom

Post by tom » Tue May 08, 2012 10:47 am

i had another go on one the other day i was having a great time going quite quick then i caught and endge fucked up my hand and now i am getting a longboard.

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”