I would buy the deck with graphics.
37%
I would buy the deck without graphics.
63%

Total votes: 51

The 6th degree

Do deck graphics matter to you?

Post by The 6th degree » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:35 am

Okay, here is a hypothetical question for you; if a board manufacturer produced the same deck both with and without graphics (a completely blank deck) and charged slightly less for the blank deck – which one would you buy?

markbrosnan78
Dirty

Post by markbrosnan78 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:41 am

The blank one. You can always customise it later to your own taste. Unless it was a Boba Fett graphic. I'd pay for that because when it comes to bounty hunters Boba is the shit.
[align=center]Trampa[/align]

[align=center]Allowing even fat blokes to ride since 2000...[/align]

Michael
Dirty

Post by Michael » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:43 am

Depends how good the graphic was and how long it would last
I can do a wheelie on a uni-cycle...

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:53 am

i like a bit of colour and individuality + im not very likely to make my own graphic, having said that i would be just as likely to NOT buy the graphic deck if i thought it looked crap.
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

indigo_wolf
Experienced

Post by indigo_wolf » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:24 am

Not sure this is an either/or question per se. It would totally depend on the graphics.

You might be surprised how much graphics add to the cost of a deck.

Blank snowboards revolves around the concept that you can offer a quality board for less money by stripping the graphics:

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PUTUzK_plk8?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PUTUzK_plk8?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

This also illustrate how small a niche mountainboards are.

There are a couple of skateboard companies that let you choose your own graphics a la carte.

FWIW: Most graphics would survive a whole lot better with a think overcoat top & bottom of PTEX/HDPE.

ATB,
Sam

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:52 am

I'd much rather see the raw deck than some graphic, I think the best boards are like the Loaded Dervish, they show off the deck, it's build quality and materials whilst still looking kick ass. On the other hand Trampa doesn't even need a graphic because it just looks so damn cool!

Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie

Post by Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:53 am

not sure how it is with mountainboards, but with skateboards, blanks are way cheaper and just as good. a graphic deck is a blank with a printed graphic on it and a brand name to make it more expensive.

if there is no difference in performance, etc then buying a graphic is just silly unless the price is the same. when it comes to boards, quality/performance should be more important than appearance.

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:11 pm

I like graphics, wish they made a board that looked like wood paneling but was made of reversecap
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

Ian@KentATB

Post by Ian@KentATB » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:27 pm

Or have the same board available in a load of different graphics to choose from.
[align=center][font=Impact]www.kentatb.com

[font=Courier New][color=DarkGreen][size=134]Freeriding - it's a monk's life
[/font][/SIZE][/color][/font][/align]

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:10 pm

i always buy blank skateboard decks or disregard the graphics as they scratch off or paint over them.

Even for the sickest graph id only pay about £10 more for a mboard deck.

I really like customising my own stuff, unfortunatley i have a deck that i think looks sick so i dont want to put my own work on it, but future decks will!
My site: [color="Red"]OneDayMedia[/color]

DirtStar Army
Dirty

Post by DirtStar Army » Wed May 02, 2012 12:21 pm

Board graphics only cost around 50.00 to add to a deck.....not a whole lot of savings....... i would gladly pay 50.00 bucks for a graphic that actually represented our sport and our style....so fare the only graphic that i have not painted over is the TK pro.

I can tell you from experience good graphics do not appeal to every one....and what we usually get is the water down, pasteurized, left overs of a good idea.

Case in point the Leaf pro.....the original concept with the sunglasses was off the chain COOL....but what we got was by fare the most hideous board graphic ever made in any sport......that thing is just god offal. Not to mention every one I have ever talked to hates it....most get painted with in days of perches. Do you think that helps branding if all your customers are painting over the logo???

I really wish we as a sport would rethink our image and all get on the same page.....

can we take a chance and do some thing edgy????

Or are we still trying to get mom and dad to ride too???........this is not a family sport like snow boarding and as soon as we get over that idea we may actually appeal to the right crowd.....
Van DeWitt
http://www.dirtstararmy.com
-DIRT B4 SKIRT-

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Wed May 02, 2012 1:08 pm

truth
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

MarcATB
Dirty

Post by MarcATB » Wed May 02, 2012 1:56 pm

I love good graphic... that was my favorite part in choosing skateboards...
too bad there is no more graphics in mountainboarding, so we could choose
same board, but with different drawing...
I believe Dave graphic would be pretty cool
Visit Serbia and experience best boarder cross on planet

Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie

Post by Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie » Wed May 02, 2012 6:02 pm

In Soviet Russia, deck paints you!

ieuan

Post by ieuan » Thu May 03, 2012 10:00 am

DirtStar Army wrote:Or are we still trying to get mom and dad to ride too???........this is not a family sport like snow boarding and as soon as we get over that idea we may actually appeal to the right crowd.....

true, but as mom and dad tend to be the ones paying for the boards, they still need to be kept on side.

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Fri May 04, 2012 6:40 am

same as jasper, always been a fan of buying blanks and booz rather than a poncy board with stuff on. but then on the flip side i'm a massive fan of some of the early skateboard art. its a bit like vinyl vrs cd's - vinyl art was a medium for amazing experiments and statements in art, cd's lacked any passion and seemed to be trying to hard, but exaclt the same artists:confused:
a year or so ago i looked into doing a bord, but to many problems. one thing i was certain of tho is i wanted select prints of 20, so people could feel a bit more indavidual about what they bought. but that means everything is done in a shed rather than factory produced, and thats where quality control becomes an issue. what you can get at the moment from mbs at least is produced by mountainboarders, support the sport and all that. i'm probley the only person on planet earth that likes the maple leaf design. it's got leafs and says yes, i like that. the graphics before that where not my cup of tea tho.
i've been thinking about wood finish decks ever since seeing the tasty local trip boards a few years ago, but the truth of it is once its coverd in mountain mud it doesnt really matter.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Fri May 04, 2012 7:47 am

belac wrote:i'm probley the only person on planet earth that likes the maple leaf design.

Nope, make that two. Just goes to show that board graphics is like marmite.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

MarcATB
Dirty

Post by MarcATB » Fri May 04, 2012 12:28 pm

Brennig wrote:Nope, make that two. Just goes to show that board graphics is like marmite.

Nope... it makes 3
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=468546154470&set=a.70858254470.73843.675704470&type=3&theater
;)
Visit Serbia and experience best boarder cross on planet

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Fri May 04, 2012 4:25 pm

i think you helped design some of the mbs graphics didn't you van? how possible is it to do multiple graphics for the same board, ie. a whole sponcered team of say 5 riders all get their own graf on a pro 95? in the past with screen printing i guess it would have been a nightmare but i'm guessing its computerised now?

still a big fan of blank decks that whould be sold with sharpies and clear laquer tho. a freind of mine did a logo for me recently and i need to get that onto my board somehow.

fav graphic is still the dirty leaf lady, which just so happens to be the board that goes everywhere with me in the van.

buggley

Post by buggley » Fri May 04, 2012 5:55 pm

Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie wrote:In Soviet Russia, deck paints you!

yackoff schmiernoff i love it :D
"from now on the only one im pimpin is sweet lady propane and im trick n her out all over this town" hank hill

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”