binding evololtion

Everything happens here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

belac
Old timer

binding evololtion

Post by belac » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:21 am

so alot of the elements of a mountainboard have been disscussed to the nth degree here and on other mountainboard media over the years, but i don't remember much talk or evolotionary ideas on bindings. they are a very important factor in what makes a mountainboard but it tends to be overlooked abit when it comes to thinking about grip of tyres, pop of deck, turn of trucks etc. i'm not bashing what has been developed (love me some f3's) but the tech of bindings has changed very little in the sport since the advent of ratchet bindings. so thought i'd start a thred to see what ideas are floating about out there within mountainboarding and other sports.

Neo Brain Bindings - these are streetboarding bindings i noticed awhile back, reckon they have the potential of working quite well, but not sure if the weight of a board being jumped would be to much for them.

atbshop posted this on facebook sugesting they might be an upgrade from regular snowboard bindings, would definetly start to cut down some of the weight of a big downhill rig.

technine - some of the nicest bindings for all round riding, held these in the flesh last year and just drewled over them. the padding is so well made, bit like gi's but more marshmallow. would love to convince them to make a regular rathet binding with their existing product, but can never find a contact.

add more if you see anything that you thinks cool. :)

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:07 am

Well pointed out, snowboarders go nuts over them because they can completely change how the board feels and responds. I noticed a huge difference between snowboard bindings and F3's, even my crappy ones. I think we need a better version of nosno softs. Better padding and ratchets and a flexi baseplate so it flexes with the deck.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

ieuan

Post by ieuan » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:25 am

magnets

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:09 am

the neobrain concept is pretty cool belac, looks like it would be easy to reproduce at home as well. Maybe we should contract habitualsuicide to begin production on a more rugged version for mountainboarding.
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

Jimmy Chaos
Seen it all

Post by Jimmy Chaos » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:18 am

I've done magnet bindings and they are pretty cool, but for what I had in magnet strength which totally carried the weight of the board seemed to work best with the combination of small sky hook type brackets for quick movements.
I had another idea for what I could best describe as a Chinese finger type binding , the harder you pulled the more resistance, but with little force your foot would pull out easily. In theory it would eliminate the need for healstraps for those who rely on them.
I'm not going to pursue that project because I have made the decision that the new apocalypse board is going to be my last mnt.boarding project. That's probably why its sitting on my floor 90% complete. My computer crashed so I can't post pics of the theoretical binding.
.............:D................
" Blatant Self Promotion "

[SIZE="5"][color="Red"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Habitual Suicide[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"][color="black"][font="Comic Sans MS"]-Mountainboarding T's-[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"][color="Blue"][SIZE="1"]
"Wear a helmet, don't drown in your own puke"
[/SIZE][/color][/color]

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:53 am

Noooo
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

buggley

Post by buggley » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:37 am

has any one ever tried step in bindings with a mountain board?
"from now on the only one im pimpin is sweet lady propane and im trick n her out all over this town" hank hill

indigo_wolf
Experienced

Post by indigo_wolf » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:28 pm

Not clicking through again, but one of the links in the original post installs a root kit and the Live Security Platinum malware Trojan. :mad:

ATB,
Sam

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:37 pm

Yeah that thing basically wiped out my work computer, was able to save a few things but damn that was rough. Removing links now.
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:23 pm

I tried step ins a looong time ago. They work, nothing special about them.

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:26 am

really?:eek: thats very odd, they all come from pretty legit websites, do you know which one it was? my appologies. i best scan my comp as well. it doesn't matter how good my intensions i always seem to be causing havoc and distruction recently.

i remember alot of riders use to use flow step in's, but i think they have a bit to much forward lean or are to regid, something like that. but deffinetly the right direction for a quick on and off binding.

evilc

Post by evilc » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:49 am

I used flow FL1s, but the problem is that you need to keep a constant pressure on the back plate else it comes undone.
That Neo Brain website is an epic fail - rider profiles, a video of colour choice, flash animations - but no actual information on their only product.
Also I see nothing but standard bindings on the technine site.

So am completely unable to comment on either.
(Work in Progress) Board buying guide

My Rides

Main:
TK Pro deck | F3 bindings | FX heelstraps | Rockstar Pro hubs | T1 tyres | Trampa Vertigo trucks w/ Titanium kingpins | Less Spring mod | Yellow Trampa Dampas | Stainless steel fixings upgrade

Spare / Loaner:
Trampa 16 ply 35 deg long deck | Talon II bindings | FX heelstraps | Manhick cast metal triskpoke wheels | Scrub Alu trucks | Green Trampa Dampas | ABS brake kit

Jimmy Chaos
Seen it all

Post by Jimmy Chaos » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:24 am

I used Flow's for probably two years until I got my Achilles pitched in between the binding and the back, that was the last time I used them.
.............:D................
" Blatant Self Promotion "

[SIZE="5"][color="Red"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Habitual Suicide[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"][color="black"][font="Comic Sans MS"]-Mountainboarding T's-[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"][color="Blue"][SIZE="1"]
"Wear a helmet, don't drown in your own puke"
[/SIZE][/color][/color]

Michael
Dirty

Post by Michael » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:30 pm

A friend got nosno softs the other week and i didn't find them that great when when i tried them.
The keep your feet locked in but so do normal bindings like F4's when they are set up properly.
For almost £100 they just don't seem worth it, i think something like this would be a good way to go for mountain boards (without the highback)
I can do a wheelie on a uni-cycle...

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:36 pm

If decks had concave then you probably wouldn't even need heelstraps.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:12 pm

Can you say that again? I feel like nobody cares about concave!

Petridis999
Noob

Post by Petridis999 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:54 pm

i think that the current binding systems, wile decent, arent that great compared to say, the technology used in decks, trucks etc.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:04 am

Brennig wrote:If decks had concave then you probably wouldn't even need heelstraps.

carve some out on a trampa?
My site: [color="Red"]OneDayMedia[/color]

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:11 am

or wedged stick ons like stomp pads for toe and heel.

the technines are just standard clive, but its the quality they build at, really padded, lot of attention to ergonomics for park and jib riding. but there are alot of very good sb bindings companys coming thru now, thats whats caught my attention, it's not just a case of see what burtons doing and rip em off.

and speaking of burton: what do people think of the EST system on a mountainboard? now that the technology exists to place inserts and stringers in foamcore decks then i don't see why this isn't possible on a mountainboard. i won't put up a link cos i'll just get in trouble again.

did anyone figure out which link was dodgy? did you manage to defeat the trojan thing?

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:03 am

I was thinking of putting an EST channel in my deck, probably just need a special router bit. But then I thought my deck flexes too much. Another thing with concave is that it stiffens the board so a Trampa deck could have less plys (be lighter) and still be just as stiff.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”