binding evololtion

Everything happens here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:57 am

isnt there a concave thread somewhere we can reawaken? i have some question about that stuff...
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:00 am

Hopefully August/September I will have a vacuum bag and press so I can start building some decks. I'm planning on concaving under the feet but flattening out towards the center for some torsional flex. I want to make a light board with some funky trucks, wanna start heading out to the wilderness with my tent, rucksack and board and ride some shizzle for a few days.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

evilc

Post by evilc » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:21 am

Nah, a concave isn't gonna do it for me.
To all those looking for the perfect binding setup (Ease of entry/exit, holds you in nice) I have been down that road myself and the conclusion of that was to use my current setup.
So, to repeat once again - Standard F type bindings and a flexible heelstrap such as the MBS FX which unfortunately seems to be discontinued :(
Set the heelstrap up to the perfect heel/toe setting (I zip tie my FXs in place as they are velcro).
After that you only ever adjust the ratchet on the binding. Try not to let the ladder strap ever fully come out of the ratchet, you don't need to do that to get out and it just complicates getting in.

To get out:
Loosen the ratchet enough to let your foot slide forwards into the binding an inch or two. This will remove the tension on the (soft) heelstrap and it will flop a lot flatter on the deck. Then simply lift your heel over the heelstrap and step out.

To get in:
Basically the opposite of getting out... Put foot in to binding to further forwards than you want it, then foot flat on deck and slide it back - hopefully the heelstrap will snap into place. If it doesn't, slide one finger between the heelstrap and your foot and jiggle it into place.
Once you have tension on the heelstrap, crank down the ratchet a couple of clicks (Cause it should be in the position you left it in when you got out). and you are good to go.

It is possible to be doing both feet at the same time - as long as the ladder strap is already in the ratchet, you only need one hand for each foot.
With this setup and technique, I can do push starts, get a foot out quickly to push and put it back in again, etc etc.
I think there is a possibility for improvement - some kind of mechanism that helps flatten the heelstrap and snap it back into place, but the idea of using a flexible heelstrap and lack of tension to make it "open" is solid.
Hopefully y'all get my point - thinking about it when my new camera arrives (fri hopefully) I will want to test it, so I can make a video to demonstrate.
(Work in Progress) Board buying guide

My Rides

Main:
TK Pro deck | F3 bindings | FX heelstraps | Rockstar Pro hubs | T1 tyres | Trampa Vertigo trucks w/ Titanium kingpins | Less Spring mod | Yellow Trampa Dampas | Stainless steel fixings upgrade

Spare / Loaner:
Trampa 16 ply 35 deg long deck | Talon II bindings | FX heelstraps | Manhick cast metal triskpoke wheels | Scrub Alu trucks | Green Trampa Dampas | ABS brake kit

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:37 pm

simple enough idea, how easy is it to step out though and how likely is to pop out accidentally?
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

MarcATB
Dirty

Post by MarcATB » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:58 pm

PMS boards have concave...
but the riders still use foot diapers
Visit Serbia and experience best boarder cross on planet

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:50 pm

Ben wrote:simple enough idea, how easy is it to step out though and how likely is to pop out accidentally?

And how well is it going to work once you walk up a muddy hill in those boots?
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”