RPMs per tread type ?

Everything happens here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

snomon
Noob

RPMs per tread type ?

Post by snomon » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:58 am

I have a slightly odd question , that Im wondering about as it seems Im having a bit of a problem trying to find a balance between offroad tires and regular street.

What Im ideally looking for is tire in either scenario that rolls well ( not necessarily the fastest under speed - because i cant push fast due to my disability ) but something that is going to give me the most rpms off a relatively weak ,or average push.

I dont need this for offroad just now, just street / flat surfaces.

Is there anything that could achieve this using 8" air pressured tire , or would i be better looking at allmost a hard plastic instead ?

snomon

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:14 am

funny you should, we are just discussing the fastest tire on here:
http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3842
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:42 am

You want something with a center bead, when pumped up only the center bead comes in contact with the road, and in lower PSI's the rest of the tread joins the contact patch and gives more grip. You could try -

GI Maks - from what I've heard they have the best of both
Primo strikers - good center bead but not the greatest grip
MBS T1 - a bit of both, not amazing in either cases but are widely available.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Jimmy Chaos
Seen it all

Post by Jimmy Chaos » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 pm

I'd recommend once you find desirable tire to clean the bearings and use Bones speed cream. It reduces friction and i believe it would give you the best results for weak to average push.
.............:D................
" Blatant Self Promotion "

[SIZE="5"][color="Red"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Habitual Suicide[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"][color="black"][font="Comic Sans MS"]-Mountainboarding T's-[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"][color="Blue"][SIZE="1"]
"Wear a helmet, don't drown in your own puke"
[/SIZE][/color][/color]

snomon
Noob

Post by snomon » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:53 pm

Brennig wrote:You want something with a center bead, when pumped up only the center bead comes in contact with the road, and in lower PSI's the rest of the tread joins the contact patch and gives more grip. You could try -
GI Maks - from what I've heard they have the best of both
Primo strikers - good center bead but not the greatest grip
MBS T1 - a bit of both, not amazing in either cases but are widely available.

So let me ask you a hypothetical question.

if grip wasnt concern , and you were riding on the flat ( typical pavement or mall ) with no adverse conditions , just straight and you had achieve a maximum distance under - say 20 pushes ( taking as long as you like ) on tires with no larger a diameter of 9" - what wheel setup ( if you could customise or create any, using any material etc ) would you choose or create ?

Then let me ask you the same question but using one of these instead :)

thanks

smon

snomon
Noob

Post by snomon » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:55 pm

Jimmy Chaos wrote:I'd recommend once you find desirable tire to clean the bearings and use Bones speed cream. It reduces friction and i believe it would give you the best results for weak to average push.

Use boner's cream for speeding , for cleaning or for both ? :eek:

smon

Jimmy Chaos
Seen it all

Post by Jimmy Chaos » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:24 pm

Bones is just a lubricant, I clean the dirt and grease out with denatured alcohol, let them dry and coat them with the speed cream. I swear by the stuff. Think it will help you out no matter what tread you decide.

[SIZE="5"][color="Red"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Habitual Suicide[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"][color="black"][font="Comic Sans MS"]-Mountainboarding T's-[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/color][/color]

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:04 pm

I'd use 8" airliner tires. The center bead thing sounds nice but I don't think it works in practice.

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:16 pm

~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:39 am

good point with the rodies but i have no experience with them...id go for Strikers. but the bearing comments should not be looked over they make a massive difference.

snomon
Noob

Post by snomon » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:59 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone - pity I dont know any one with some spares to test it .

Is the mbs shop the only place selling them ? ( Im in the uk ) and would these work ok with tri spoke hubs ?

smon

snomon
Noob

Post by snomon » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:02 pm

Jimmy Chaos wrote:I'd recommend once you find desirable tire to clean the bearings and use Bones speed cream. It reduces friction and i believe it would give you the best results for weak to average push.

Thanks, I think I'll need all the lube I can get for the task ahead.

smon

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:52 am

snomon wrote:Thanks for the feedback everyone - pity I dont know any one with some spares to test it .

Is the mbs shop the only place selling them ? ( Im in the uk ) and would these work ok with tri spoke hubs ?

smon

are you asking about the roadies specifically?
i suspect they might be...

the task ahead

which is?

Doc75
Dirty

Post by Doc75 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:57 am

Would you recommend putting this stuff on new bearings too? Or is that not necessary?

Thanks!

Jimmy Chaos
Seen it all

Post by Jimmy Chaos » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:56 am

I've cleaned new bearings and applied it.
I just tested my new trampa bearings with factory grease vs old bearings that the last time I cleaned them was last fall and applied speed cream. The old bearings spun 2x longer, they are due for a cleaning and reapply. They usually spin at least 3x. Time to pull out my pickle jar of denatured alcohol :)

[/SIZE][/color][/color]

Ian@KentATB

Post by Ian@KentATB » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:47 pm

Yeah but new bearings are never going to roll like old bedded in ones
[align=center][font=Impact]www.kentatb.com

[font=Courier New][color=DarkGreen][size=134]Freeriding - it's a monk's life
[/font][/SIZE][/color][/font][/align]

Jimmy Chaos
Seen it all

Post by Jimmy Chaos » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:03 pm

True, but the stuff works great. Just my opinion though. You'd notice the differerance if you used it. Believe me or don't, doesn't matter to me, I'm not a sales rep or anything :rolleyes:

[/SIZE][/color][/color]

snomon
Noob

Post by snomon » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:44 am

Jimmy Chaos wrote:Bones is just a lubricant, I clean the dirt and grease out with denatured alcohol, let them dry and coat them with the speed cream. I swear by the stuff. Think it will help you out no matter what tread you decide.

You know ,I just came across these while looking for an adaptable motor i could use with kelly controller.

So it got me wondering if these might be better or worse than my current
own which are 7. 5 " m10s..

From the little I know Im inclined to think the M8s at 8" would give me more bang for my buck as theyd be easier to roll / push off and require less pushing given the 8" increase , or am I off the
mark somewhere ? ( Trying to think of similar heavy loads that require ease of push like wheelbarrows :P )

cheers,

snomon

NB* m8s would be for manual use - not with motor

snomon
Noob

Post by snomon » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:28 am

Also wanted to ask about the Abec rating of the bearings if it would really make much difference to someone going as slow as me - unless I was using a motor and required more rpm?

sno

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”