I think I'm being retarded but...

Everything happens here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

markbrosnan78
Dirty

I think I'm being retarded but...

Post by markbrosnan78 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:48 am

I can't lift my front wheels so I can't tic tac or anything. I can do it on a skateboard but with my feet in bindings I just can't do it. Do I need to lean back more or put more weight on my back foot? I've tried lifting my front foot at the same time but it just wont put the wheels in the air.

Help...
[align=center]Trampa[/align]

[align=center]Allowing even fat blokes to ride since 2000...[/align]

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:52 am

can you jump? standing on the spot?
its just moving your weight back lifting your front foot. or maybe look at it as jumping backwards a bit or something :S
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

markbrosnan78
Dirty

Post by markbrosnan78 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:57 am

I can jump ok. I'm also finding it hard to ollie and nollie as well. I'm getting confused because on a skateboard you have the lip to put pressure on to get the opposite end to flip up.

I just can't get my head around it on a mountain board. Is it more like a hop to get the thing going rather than weight distribution?

markbrosnan78
Dirty

Post by markbrosnan78 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:09 pm

Just tried it again. Forced the weight into my back foot a bit harder and lifted the front foot at the same time. Only mm off the ground but enough to swing it a few degrees both hs and ts.

I really need to get a lighter board.

And some balance.

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:05 pm

The weird thing is its not really about a lighter board it's more about muscle and technique. I can remember when I started riding how each new concept seemed physically impossible but after I'd done it once it seemed weird I couldn't do it before. If you do a search on here there's a massive thread on nose manuals. On youtube there's a good video by Jon diurba. I like you presumed it was board weight and moved to a custom built comp 90. It does help to build technique confidence and muscle but the weird thing is now I can manual on 14kg of nosno :)
leapb4ulook wrote:...... you're a freerider at heart, you've just been infected with freestyle.

markbrosnan78
Dirty

Post by markbrosnan78 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:24 pm

I watched the Diurba video. I managed 30 feet of tic tacing across the garden on water logged grass. It wasn't pretty but I made it.

I had seen the videos and it looked easy and obvious but I just couldn't translate it to doing it. It was a lot easier with heel straps on as well.

Looks like I'm going to have to put in a lot of time to practice. Nose manuals look impossible at the moment but I'm sure I'll get there.

Thanks for the advice. I wish there was someone to hook up with around here as I'm a watch and learn type. I was thinking of going to RTH next week but I'm only off the days they are closed which is a bugger.

I guess the good thing about it being flat around here is I can practice this stuff all day long.

14kg of nosno puts my 8kg of Trampa in the shade.

The 6th degree

Post by The 6th degree » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:53 pm

Are you not relatively close to the Kent ATB guys?

ieuan

Post by ieuan » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:38 pm

markbrosnan78 wrote: I was thinking of going to RTH next week but I'm only off the days they are closed which is a bugger.

Do it.
If you can't make it to any of the regular opening times, maybe you could make it to one of the freestyle sessions on Friday nights.

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:46 pm

The 6th degree wrote:Are you not relatively close to the Kent ATB guys?

yeah hes not too far! im sure you would benefit from a meet up with Ian at Perry woods. also Tarn lives closest to you that i know of.
https://www.facebook.com/tarn.grover?ref=brem
nice enough guy, also a beginner or at least was when i rode with him a year two ago lol

but have a look on kentatb.com sign up to the forum etc
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

markbrosnan78
Dirty

Post by markbrosnan78 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:21 am

I keep meaning to cross the river but I work shifts and so I either get caught working or doing family stuff at the weekends. But seen as I am taking four weeks off over the holidays to look after the kids I can't see why a Friday night off would be a problem.

Is there anything near to RTH that the family could go and do whilst I play? And can anyone come to a freestyle Friday and ride or would I just get in the way?

snowmonco
Dirty

Post by snowmonco » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:48 am

markbrosnan78 wrote:I watched the Diurba video. I managed 30 feet of tic tacing across the garden on water logged grass. It wasn't pretty but I made it.

Looks like I'm going to have to put in a lot of time to practice. Nose manuals look impossible at the moment but I'm sure I'll get there.

Great, things are getting into place. Perfection through practice, there's no way around. I've a few days of riding under the belt myself but my input will be a correct weight distribution and exercise those lower body muscles for tic tac. If on flat, slowly initiate the run skating then pop the front and try to sustain the tic tac as long as you can by moving slightly your weight to the back leg. Practice, practice, practice...
Yesterday I set my goal on doing 180 bs and fs in row on the ground. Almost 2 h doing the same stuff with increasing speed and gaining confidence riding switch. A couple of falls and sore ass but things are getting really natural. This is the main reason I got into mountainboarding, not being limited by just a few days each season to snowboard. I can practice every week, repeating stuff to exhaustion if needed.
Cheers.

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:06 am

wish I had the patience to learn/practice new stuff. I usually just hit and run, been spoiled by the long ride for too long.
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

markbrosnan78
Dirty

Post by markbrosnan78 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:01 am

That's the problem around here, the lack of decent runs. I am probably going to end up doing more urban riding so I need to get the skill level up. Concrete hurts more than mud as well.

Time to practice practice practice now I can do the basic bits.

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:45 am

couple of my favorites urbans from the tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzSnzJ2-gT4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo0trjdXzzk&feature=related

noticed there's a few good new ones appearing as well.
leapb4ulook wrote:...... you're a freerider at heart, you've just been infected with freestyle.

markbrosnan78
Dirty

Post by markbrosnan78 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:45 pm

I've seen the second one before. That's the sort of thing I aspire to. Oh to be a young skinny teenager once again. Not that I was ever skinny.

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:30 pm

i have the reverse problem to you at the moment. First boardsport was mountainboarding about 10-11 years ago, then got a longboard about 7 years ago. Just got into shortboard riding for bowls and mini-ramp and getting used to the back foot behind the back truck postition is screwing me over! so strange adapting to a completely different set of muscle memory. Still early morning sessions down the bowl before the local kids get out of bed and a large amount of padding seem to be doing the trick!

GoofyMark

Post by GoofyMark » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:43 pm

sir seymour wrote:i have the reverse problem to you at the moment. First boardsport was mountainboarding about 10-11 years ago, then got a longboard about 7 years ago. Just got into shortboard riding for bowls and mini-ramp and getting used to the back foot behind the back truck postition is screwing me over! so strange adapting to a completely different set of muscle memory. Still early morning sessions down the bowl before the local kids get out of bed and a large amount of padding seem to be doing the trick!

Hey Hans, would that be Churchdown??
Bring on the night!

facebook.com/thatlooksdangerous

markbrosnan78
Dirty

Post by markbrosnan78 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:36 pm

I haven't ridden a board for years. Started back/new on the mountain board. Recently picked up a skateboard thinking it would improve my skills.

It has and it hasn't helped. It's improved my balance but confused me on other things.

Really thinking about getting some sort of a balance board for balance training. Also considering picking up a longboard. Waiting to see when Lush get some Symbian 2012's back in the UK as that's one sweet looking ride. Lush reckon they will be back over here in August.

ieuan

Post by ieuan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:03 pm

As long as you've got all your own kit, you'll be welcome at Freestyle Fridays.
It's all about getting a big group together for a chilled out progression session.

markbrosnan78
Dirty

Post by markbrosnan78 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:24 pm

All kitted up. But booked for the next few Fridays but I will see you in August.

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”