Twistars are for old ladies...

Everything happens here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

snowmonco
Dirty

Twistars are for old ladies...

Post by snowmonco » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:14 pm

I'm really disgusted. Today I saw one of my Twistar almost blow apart. I didn't do anything extreme, just a few small jumps and 180s.
Yesterday I disassembled all four wheels to fix a flat tire and took the opportunity to put anti-puncture tape on all tires. I'm pretty sure that I assembled everything back as it should, adjusting and rotating the two parts till complete alignment of the spokes. I then inflated to 50 psi, which is the max pressure for Twistars. OK, the day was hot (38 ºC / 100.4 º F on the shade) but I don't think thermal expansion of the air inside the tube could increase so much as to blow the hub...?
Now will be a real hassle to separate both parts and without even knowing if I can recover the hub. Maybe some lubricant?

Damn... must bite the bullet and spend some holidays' money on new hubs. Advices? maybe the rockstar pros? I'm fed up with plastic.
All in all, each day that passes I regret more and more not having set the bar for a pro board instead :(
Attachments
IMAG0399.jpg

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:27 pm

get the rockstar pros
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

snowmonco
Dirty

Post by snowmonco » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:08 pm

Just ordered the rockstar pros. Used the opportunity to get also aluminium L-brackets (the F4 nylon ones showed stress-induced fissures around the bolts even on my third day of riding and I expect them not to last for long) and orange eggs to save on delivery. Now the endless waiting...

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:36 pm

I had two of the old plastic rockstars explode in the back of my car on a hot day.

Good choice on going metal.
Mutley wrote:Dude you are an inspiration, and a nut job all rolled into one.

Brennig wrote:Trees are where the party's at.

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:22 am

leapb4ulook wrote:I had two of the old plastic rockstars explode in the back of my car on a hot day..

i also had that exact same thing happen to me....i think twisters with psi over 40 should be deflated before being removed from the trucks, especially in hot weather.

ive just opted for some superstars, havent even got a chance to ride them yet.
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:54 pm

i've got a few boards with plastic rockstars on that tend to do he same thing, and heat definetly plays a part in that, have had gi crossairs crack in my van on hot day as well. the boars i have with tri spokes, rockstar pros and manhics all behave much better but theirs a weight gain. from what i've found the last plastic batch from gi and the trampas plastic hubs are the way to go for best of both worlds. when we finallu get trucks to weigh less then it won't matter so much about hubs.

Kiwy
Dirty

Post by Kiwy » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:15 pm

Cracked 3 Crosshairs in 1 day on one drop.
Exploded one plastic rockstar rim at last contest just from standing. It was 2+ years old though

Ian@KentATB

Post by Ian@KentATB » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:27 pm

leapb4ulook wrote:I had two of the old plastic rockstars explode in the back of my car on a hot day.

Good choice on going metal.

No chance of that happening this summer, feels like bloody October . :(
[align=center][font=Impact]www.kentatb.com

[font=Courier New][color=DarkGreen][size=134]Freeriding - it's a monk's life
[/font][/SIZE][/color][/font][/align]

snowmonco
Dirty

Post by snowmonco » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:46 pm

Although I didn't left the twistars on the car booth enough time for them to overheat, since I picked the car inside the garage and drove like 10 min to the site, I reckon that maybe 50 psi and an outside temp of 38 ºC was too much. I can remember that at first they were good because I was always looking for flats to check if the anti-puncture tape was working. Only after an 1 h or so that I saw the problem. Thus, the tires had enough time to become hot under the sun and rolling. When I returned to the car the thermometer was reading a scorching 44 ºC under the sun.

I hammer it, after an unsuccessful try with W40, and managed to separate both pieces of the Twistar to recover the tire. Worst part now is that they don't lock any more and I'm boardless, desperately waiting for the rockstars to arrive. Made the order Yesterday and the shop said they were in stock, but didn't get any confirmation of shipping yet... I'm off for a loooong and painful weekend :(

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:43 pm

Ian@KentATB wrote:No chance of that happening this summer, feels like bloody October . :(

that was here in Israel, 38 degrees in the shade today, want to pop over and melt with us?
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

snowmonco
Dirty

Post by snowmonco » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:50 pm

Argh! was contacted today, end of the morning, by the web shop saying that they don't have the Rockstar Pros in chrome, contrarily as mentioned at their website, only the black ones... 2 freakin days to tell me this!? Was so pissed that I'd to control myself when replying by mail, wishing to have said instead "come on dude I just want to ride not be photographed..."
Seems that MBS is stocking blacks only for the new TK pro and chromes are due in 2 weeks.
Precious days have gone and I'm waiting for blacks now... so stressed :(

david0241
Slightly dirty

Post by david0241 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:22 pm

@snowmonco: I have felt you pain brother. The new TK's are causing so many issues it's not even funny! Waited over a month just to get my board properly shipped out, being that my TK2 got "stolen/lost" in mail, and all other orders had issues or something. Only after I settled for the Leon Robbins deck with TK2 hardware did I get my board. Don't mind the Leon board, and I'm very happy with the way the hardware compliments the deck... Not happy at all about the wait though! Oh well. I'm just happy I finally have my board XP

snowmonco
Dirty

Post by snowmonco » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:08 am

@david0241 Thanks mate. Yeah your life ain't been easy for sure. More than 1 month to get a board is as stressful as it can be.
I've a lot experience in buying photo gear on-line and had also my let-downs, going through almost a 2 month waiting period with the same story that things are heading your way next week and so on, so on...
I was expecting things would be more steady and relaxed in an activity with far less practitioners than say photography. Stock status at web shops should always be taken with caution, OK, but I don't see the same level of daily purchases as in other fields of interest, being the riding community so limited. Far from it. It should be fairly easy to keep accuracy with mountainboarding gear at least to my understanding. E.g. the 3 main sellers in UK are still showing the rockstar silver has in stock, included the one I ordered from!? Don't know in who to believe any more.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:54 pm

nobody ever mentions primo trispokes in plastic-hub-discussion. Why is that? for the record i have a set and riding them for about two years no problem.
My site: [color="Red"]OneDayMedia[/color]

GoofyMark

Post by GoofyMark » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:27 pm

Jasper wrote:nobody ever mentions primo trispokes in plastic-hub-discussion. Why is that? for the record i have a set and riding them for about two years no problem.

I have primo light weights, and I had no probs with twistars in the past, I think its to do with tyre pressure, I don't skate park ride, so 30-40 psi is plenty for me, never had any probs at that pressure.
Bring on the night!

facebook.com/thatlooksdangerous

snowmonco
Dirty

Post by snowmonco » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:42 am

I agree that 50 psi on a hot day was maybe on the threshold of a twistar can withstand... but there should be a safety margin fairly large IMO. This all thread starting to seem like group therapy :), but I'm boardless and in desperation...

snowmonco
Dirty

Post by snowmonco » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:19 am

Still desperate awaiting for the rockstar pro hubs to arrive, after almost 3 weeks :mad:
If it wasn't for the fact of managing to put back again, after great effort, the two pieces of the twistar together I would go insane. Finally holidays and good weather outside without being able to ride... the worst nightmare on could envisage. Trouble is that I don't know for how much long will the board endure. The hub hold together using electric wire and nylon L-brackets almost gone only after 10 or so days or riding... at least if I magnetize the truck stub I can have a dynamo and generate enough electricity to use a light bulb and ride at night :)
Attachments
IMAG0419r.jpg
IMAG0416r.jpg

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:46 pm

did you drive uphill to your riding spot? Saw a few rockstars go bang after arriving up to an alpine resort. The heat combined with the pressure change sent plastic flying all over the back of tk's van!
Primo hubs are very good in my opinion too. Never had a set of the composites die on me and have only had one of the lightweights go, and that was due to an overcooked dropoff where i found a pesky lump of limestone.

snowmonco
Dirty

Post by snowmonco » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:42 am

sir seymour wrote:did you drive uphill to your riding spot? Saw a few rockstars go bang after arriving up to an alpine resort. The heat combined with the pressure change sent plastic flying all over the back of tk's van!
Primo hubs are very good in my opinion too. Never had a set of the composites die on me and have only had one of the lightweights go, and that was due to an overcooked dropoff where i found a pesky lump of limestone.

Sorry for the late response but I'm ln holidays. The decrease in atmospheric pressure didn't play a part since I stayed at the same altitude, which is around 200 above sea level. The twistars are simply too weak. Cheers.

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”