How Many Of Us Have Ever Competed?

Everything happens here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

Have ya?

I am a regular competitor. It makes me feel good about myself..
16%
I dibble and dabble.
49%
No. Obviously.
35%

Total votes: 43

Tom's 180's
Dirty

How Many Of Us Have Ever Competed?

Post by Tom's 180's » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:03 pm

What's the standard like? And do they have a discipline in sitting at the top talking about girls?

Kiwy
Dirty

Post by Kiwy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:59 pm

girls have it easier.
I like mountainboard competitions, they're very friendly.
But what I love most is doing a demo show. Now for those I would train and train hard.
cho chooo!

The 6th degree

Post by The 6th degree » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:03 am

I've done Downhill only but there is a wide range in abilities (from bailing on every corner up to "International Downhill Champ").

There's a comp in Wales this month - you should come along.

MarcATB
Dirty

Post by MarcATB » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:07 am

been on German, Hungarian, Bulgarian and Romanian comps...
and organized 7 international comps in Serbia :)
competitions - great place for people to meet and have fun
Visit Serbia and experience best boarder cross on planet

Travis
Old timer

Post by Travis » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:22 am

Same as Chris I only compete in Downhill, and that's basically because you get uplifts all day until everyone's had enough :)
noTramp brake-boarder and proud!

ade_mcc

Post by ade_mcc » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:39 am

In fairness, you normally get an uplift for the Boarder-X too. :)

Come on Dave, not long now!

MarcATB
Dirty

Post by MarcATB » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:25 am

we have tractors in Serbia - better than lift :D best fun is in the tractor full of riders going up
Visit Serbia and experience best boarder cross on planet

The 6th degree

Post by The 6th degree » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:04 am

You've never been in the back of a transit with 30 riders & boards that LB4uL was driving...

DirtStar Army
Dirty

Post by DirtStar Army » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:05 am

16 yeas deep B*&%s....LOVE LOVE LOVE comps I all ways have a blast, meet grate ppl, get nasty in the dirt and learn new tricks and tips to tight my game up.....

Three things you need to get really good and MBing
...1: Compete as much as you can, Seeing other riders in the flesh will teach you so much!
...2: Get a season pass to a ski resort and ride your snowboard like you stole it!!!
...3: Ride skate park with out heal straps....riding skate park can train your muscle memory faster than any other discipline and all the body mechanics you us in a skatepark are directly applicable to the dirt.
Van DeWitt
http://www.dirtstararmy.com
-DIRT B4 SKIRT-

BDirthead
Experienced

Post by BDirthead » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:58 am

I used to compete every year (1998 - 2008) but haven't for the past several years. I really miss it, but had to focus on family and home. It costs alot to travel to events, but hopefully I'll have some extra funds to get out and ride with all my friends again.

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:07 am

i have never been to an official event yet. i think if i had been to one then by the second one i would enter a comp just for laugh. but actually one of the things i love most about boarding sports is the lack of competitiveness granted if you seek it then you can find it...but its not an essential part of it.
on a personal level i just dont like to compete and not just because im crap lol
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

snowmonco
Dirty

Post by snowmonco » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:24 pm

Compete? too soon for me, but the real trouble would be to find enough riders to even fill the podium around here...

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:16 pm

Only been to downhill comps, I like the uplift and seeing lots of cool boards and peeps. Wether I come first or last makes no difference.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

BryceAZ

Post by BryceAZ » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:50 pm

Competed at the Altitude Sickness Cup last year. This year I'm going to the MBS Fall Classic. Enjoyed every minute of my first comp.

Tom's 180's
Dirty

Post by Tom's 180's » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:53 am

The 6th degree wrote:I've done Downhill only but there is a wide range in abilities (from bailing on every corner up to "International Downhill Champ").

There's a comp in Wales this month - you should come along.

Do you have the details of this competition? Tempted!

So how does it work then? Surely I can't just turn up and enter the international downhill!?

The 6th degree

Post by The 6th degree » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:27 am

Check out the links Ade kindly put up.

Yeah - you just turn up on the day at the track, fill in an entry form and pay £10-£20 and ride! If you've never raced before you can go in the Novice category, or enter the Pro/Senior/Masters depending on your age. What will probably happen is that everyone will be driven to the top of the track and everyone does timed decents and then gets driven back up to the top. Repeat for the rest of the day.

Its really not that competitive of an atmosphere (unless you want it to be) - last year the times for this course varied between approx 3.30 mins and 8.00 mins.

If you can make it to the camping the night before then you'll get to meet most people before the race.

You aren't that far from the competition - try and make it if you can.

Jockass Dave

Post by Jockass Dave » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:26 pm

Ben wrote:i have never been to an official event yet. i think if i had been to one then by the second one i would enter a comp just for laugh. but actually one of the things i love most about boarding sports is the lack of competitiveness granted if you seek it then you can find it...but its not an essential part of it.
on a personal level i just dont like to compete and not just because im crap lol

Enter the first one just for a laugh! Mountainboard comps are about so much more than being the best rider...
Old enough to know better, been there done that...

Tom's 180's
Dirty

Post by Tom's 180's » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:05 pm

It looks really fun, I might come along. Few things kind of holding me back though.

I notice that both ade (merci by the way!) and jockass are both wearing full face heavy duty stuff. I own nothing like that - I normally ride in shorts and t shirt! I also ride a core 95 (spruced up a bit, may i add...) which will probably get speed wobbles 30 seconds in. ALSO, although I have ridden downhill a bit...i'm more of a freerider (aka lazy ass). What I think I'm trying to say is...I'm not sure a downhill competition is for me. Or is it!? Heck, I dunno! Maybe I should find out.

Jockass Dave

Post by Jockass Dave » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:19 pm

that pic is from the last Scottish DH comp back in 2005, way gnarlier than Dave, and that big noSno monster hits 45mph+!!!
but I would definately recommend riding with at least a helmet at ALL times...
For Dave you'll get away with helmet, knee, elbow and wristguards
Old enough to know better, been there done that...

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”