Punctures and tyres

Everything happens here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

snowmonco
Dirty

Punctures and tyres

Post by snowmonco » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:41 am

I've been riding on T1s since day one. They grip well but I find them terrible regarding puncture resistance. Lately, I've been using a puncture resistant tape for mountain bikes inside my wheels. The constant flats were attenuated but still not fully coped with. All of my inner tubes have already 3-4 patches on them. Maybe It's time to rethink my set of tyres. Unfortunately, clean grassy fields are scarce where I live and brambles and spiky bushes abound.
Based on your experience, which tyres would give me the best combination of puncture resistance, grip and not too heavy?

The 6th degree

Post by The 6th degree » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:04 am

Try plastic milk (or soda) bottle/jugs cut into strips - might be more hardy.

snowmonco
Dirty

Post by snowmonco » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:44 am

Yeah I've read about it in SD. However, seems a bit odd and the outcomes are controversial. I think the result to be too stiff and irregular. Could affect stability while riding.

As another alternative, I'm trying to find a wider puncture tape in order to protect more of the tyre's sidewall, since the one I'm using now is specific to mountain bikes and too narrow for my liking. Moreover, It's a real pain to warrant that it stays perfectly aligned with the tyre's center tread when putting back the inner tube and mounting the wheel, before inflating. I'll try next time using a double-side tape to anchor the puncture tape and see if it copes with the misalignment problem. Found that most of my punctures are located near the center tread and, thus, the puncture tape should be off-center on those spots.

Roger knockhill
Dirty

Post by Roger knockhill » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:11 pm

slice up old tyres and put a band about 35mm wide inside your new ones, its a bit heavier than normal puncture tape, mountainbike tyres would do to i spose, (my boards a tank but still flys )

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:14 pm

I used to have some 20 wheels lying around so it was never a problem but I'll try anyway. I've never tried them but the Trampa hard compound tyres look good, they seem to have a nice tread and are 'more durable' or 'more puncture-proof'. One thing you could try is cutting open an old inner tube and wrapping it around the one your using so it works as a 'double skin'.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

GoofyMark

Post by GoofyMark » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:53 pm

Get some slime. It doesn't weigh much, and it lasts for ages;-)
Bring on the night!

facebook.com/thatlooksdangerous

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:12 pm

Primo Alpha Lites are nice. Not quite as grippy as T1s, but then again T1s are some of the grippiest.
I've been on those for years, never had much of a problem. I do the tape inside them too though.

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:01 pm

The 6th degree wrote:Try plastic milk (or soda) bottle/jugs cut into strips - might be more hardy.

Rofl I remember goofy did this after lb4ulk suggested it.We went out on a cold morning and it shredded his tubes. :)

Slimes the best. A quarter of a bottle of slime per tyre works well and I've never had a puncture sincecusing it. It only adds couple of grams.
leapb4ulook wrote:...... you're a freerider at heart, you've just been infected with freestyle.

snowmonco
Dirty

Post by snowmonco » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:09 pm

Thank you all for your useful comments. I've only the 4 tyres shipped with the board at the moment so can't test the old tyres solution. More tyres on its way soon. Seriously thinking in getting some Primo Alpha lights to see how they perform. What about the T3? I know they have thin walls like the T1 to save weight, but are they less prone to punctures based on your experience?
Meanwhile, I'll check if I've enough spare inner tubes to cut and try the double skin trick.
If all that still doesn't work, I could give a try with slime. My concerns related to the possible increased weight but if it's negligible, like said, no problem.
Guess what!? found today that one of my tyres has a slow leak from riding yesterday... damn!!! I've repaired more tyres now in 2 1/2 months than from the 15+ years riding a mountain bike. Pretty soon I'll be able to change tyres eyes shut :-(

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:16 pm

I would imagine lites being less puncture proof. I use 2 T3s and 2 T1s, really like the T3s lots of grip (don't think they've punctured) but they are slower. I like to use T1s at the back when riding brakeless to make scrubbing and sliding easier, then T3s when I use a brake to give me grip and stop drifting.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

snowmonco
Dirty

Post by snowmonco » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:26 pm

Brennig wrote:I would imagine lites being less puncture proof. I use 2 T3s and 2 T1s, really like the T3s lots of grip (don't think they've punctured) but they are slower. I like to use T1s at the back when riding brakeless to make scrubbing and sliding easier, then T3s when I use a brake to give me grip and stop drifting.

Thus I can conclude that T3s have more grip than T1s, although slower to accelerate as a result of the double center tread? Think I've read also somewhere that T1s are betters suited to summer and T3s to winter...

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:30 pm

I think it's nice to have both.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:40 pm

i do rather like my alphas, roll faster than my girlfriends t1s, though her deck is bouncier than mine.

Out of interest, do people think a few goes round the tire with electrical tape would work against thorns? (on the inside obviously)
My site: [color="Red"]OneDayMedia[/color]

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:59 pm

My alpha lites used to get a puncture every session. Same terrain as you. That's why I used slime. :)
leapb4ulook wrote:...... you're a freerider at heart, you've just been infected with freestyle.

GoofyMark

Post by GoofyMark » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:10 am

You can get the alphas in a 4 ply version, they are ideal for Freeride, you get a lot less punctures. It's also worth checking out Trampas tyres, last time I looked they did a harder compound tyre.
Bring on the night!

GoofyMark

Post by GoofyMark » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:14 am

Bring on the night!

snowmonco
Dirty

Post by snowmonco » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:57 am

Thanks for the input Jasper.

@ Mutley Since my inner tubes are all like Swiss cheese by now I will give a try on Slime. Had concerns on it being difficult to get around here but could find it easily even on Megastores :-)

@ GoofyMark Thanks for the info on the 4ply alphas and hard compound Trampa. Will ask for them when ordering next week.

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:39 am

love the 4 ply alphas. Means you can also run them at low pressure when needed as they don't deform horribly like the 2-ply lites. The tread seems to stay actually on the tyre for longer aswell.

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”