Back
25%

Total votes: 12

Howie
Noob

Brakes: Front or Back

Post by Howie » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:38 pm

Hey all..

Just found some big hills, steep mountainbike single track I want to hit up, and have decided to get a brake system..

Just wondering whats best?

Im a natural/regular footer, and Ive noticed some of you say to put the brake on the front to reduce skidding, yet I have never seen anyone use it on the front..

Just wondering your thoughts?

Thanks

Howie

The 6th degree

Post by The 6th degree » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:36 am

Common practice is on the front of the board and you lean back when you brake - but LB4UL has been running a board with brakes on back and it seems to work.

Travis
Old timer

Post by Travis » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:55 am

Best to just try both and see what you prefer. Personally I run them on the front and have never tried them on the back, but I probably should.
noTramp brake-boarder and proud!

BDirthead
Experienced

Post by BDirthead » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:05 am

I run mine on the back. I actually like the way they skid out while making hard turns. But I would have no problem jumping on someone elses set-up and ride them on the front. I believe that you get better braking capabilities with them installed on the front. My style is best suited having my lead arm free, and keeping the brake handle in my trailing hand close to my side.

silver shredder
Noob

Hydraulic brakes

Post by silver shredder » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:31 am

Hi Howie
I have some brakes left if you want one
nick

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:34 am

front tends to help stop locking the wheels as much and offer a bit more control in technical trails (especially on a nosno disc system where lock up is far too easy if you don't have the insentive of not landing on your face to modulate them properly). Can be good fun on the back end though! but personally i wouldn't want to ride anything too technical or loose with them on the back.

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”