Mountainboard related injuries.

Everything happens here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

Kiwy
Dirty

Mountainboard related injuries.

Post by Kiwy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:46 am

No way you never fell with a mountainboard.
So what injury most stands out for you?

Mine:
I was going down a course and one of my back wheels hit a rock and I did an instant frontflip from the speed. helmet and reflex saved my neck.

Very tired attempting a 540. tilted my head back a bit and did a backflip which i landed on my head. helmet saved me.( this was filmed )

Faceplant into a wall. I couldn't steer fast enough. I scared everyone watching.

Extra: I used to skateboard at night. Until I banged my knee on the edge of a ramp at high speed. I have a small bursitis now.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:40 am

Faceplanted the road going over 30 mph, covered my face in cuts and stitches, lost chunks of skin off my knees and elbows. I faceplanted again yesterday going 1.5 mph, split my chin open, had to endure a 2 and a half hour train journey with my chin hanging open before I could get stitches. I usually end most sessions with bruises and cuts but that's in the contract.

I'm glad I don't do freestyle because going upside down would scare me for that very reason, landing on my head. Downhill isn't as bad, there are usually hedges and trees to fall into, my board has had it's fair share of leaves and branches. But when you miss those hedges it hurts. Don't think I'll ride roads again after that incident.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:32 am

ive been very lucky with my injuries. mostly cuts and bruises and a few times being winded by landing on my back or hugging the odd tree at 15-20 mph lol worst injusry has to be before i started riding with gloves and wrist guards, just cut open the palm of my hand at its base and it takes forever to fix. im due a broken rib by now i reckon
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

Alex's Phat Wheelz
Dirty

Post by Alex's Phat Wheelz » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:30 am

Once jumped to late on a wooden kicker we made when attempting a method. I sort of dived forward into the ground with my board behind me my arm must have taken a pretty big hit on contact with the ground because when I got up both the bones in my forearm had broken in half that was a pretty memorable injury

BDirthead
Experienced

My worst mountainboarding injuries

Post by BDirthead » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:34 am

This could take awhile...
2001, dislocated my left knee during a fairly simple air attempt (rear foot slipped out of the binding). This injury required extensive surgery to the torn ACL, PCL, and MCL ligaments. 2 cadaver ligamnets were installed.
2005, I broke my tibia bone just under the left knee. This occured while mountainboarding at a local skatepark. I was doing a 50/50 grind on a downhill ledge, when the board spun to a backside boardslide. I fell and a rigid knee brace protected my knee ligaments, but broke the major bone where the knee brace ended. This injury required surgery installing 2 metal plates and about a dozen screws (see x-ray image). I've also had numerous concusions, the most famous one occured at the 2001 Donner Summit event. In the semi-finals dual slalom heat, I was knocked out for over a minute. I've had a severe shoulder dislocation problem after avoiding a drop-in collision with another rider, at a local indoor skatepark. While doing an alley-oop transfer air, this kid dropped in near my landing, and I bailed to avoid contact. While about 6 feet above the wooden transition, my entire body weight went onto one arm, severely dislocating it. Although I chose not to have it surgically repaired, this problem stayed with me for many years. I even had this shoulder dislocate during a US Open Boardercross heat. It happened near the top course berms, which allowed me to pop it back into place, and finish with an advancing 2nd place. I competed the next year with a special shoulder harness brace (see photo). I've had major injuries also while skateboarding and surfing (broken ankle, dislocated shoulder, and broke a helmet and nearly my skull, in a downhill competition last year). It really is amazing that I can still ride and enjoy this sport that I love so much.Image(here's me riding with the shoulder harness)
Attachments
x-ray 007.jpg
xray0001.jpg

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:40 am

Good grief! Amazingly I have never broken a bone, must be all the milk I drink. Glad to see that you're still riding.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

walker
Noob

Post by walker » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:22 pm

January out riding on my own in my local woods and tried to do a jump but scrubbed off speed slipping in the rain and leave s but I was commited and broke my wrist 16 screws titanium plate 4 months off work , I'm a plasterer the mrs was well impressed .

Plus all the usual injuries ribs , winding etc

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:09 pm

Why full face helmets were invented.

Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:07 pm

was warming up for a 2 day event at bugs boarding, we were hitting this mid sized table top, i was just straight airing it and grabbing it. I straight aired it, manualed the landing and flipped out backwards when i got to flat. Ripped my face apart, but what was worse was about a foot long graze and really painful bruising on my leg. Didnt realise it was grazed till i got home though and had to peel scab/underwear off the whole thing. Nasty, bought myself impact shorts since lol.

My site: [color="Red"]OneDayMedia[/color]

Kiwy
Dirty

Post by Kiwy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:48 am

I like how everyone knows and can tell in high detail what went wrong and at what moment.and wow thanks for making me feel lucky now.
I knew there's a reason i dress like this when riding. (no self promotion intended).

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:11 am

great shot though ;)

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:24 am

I learned a lot the day this happened...

...I forgot a lot too.
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

fenboy

Post by fenboy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:01 pm

Broke my coccyx at haredown, what ever you do not hit the boarder cross at speed Sutton down!!! The 5 hour drive home was not a pleasant one!
Returned a year later to the day! And broke my thumb ended up being plastered to my elbow.

Never been back since!

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:31 pm

lmao, great story, poor bugger

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:31 am

hurhur, nory broke his cocyx at haredown too! He had a nice drive up to the lake district after and a bonus doctors finger up the bum.

fenboy

Post by fenboy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:58 pm

I didn't get a finger up the bum. He bed check that that's the norm? Or has he been violated! I just had an X-ray which didn't leave much to the imagination!

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”