Three-wheeled Boards

Everything happens here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

Three-wheeled Boards

Poll ended at Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:58 pm

Great idea with a suspect history, needs more R&D and then I could be interested
62%
What were they thinking, scrap 'em all and don't ever mention them again
15%
Why would anyone care, boards should have four wheel. End of.
8%
It worked for Del Boy, this time next year we'll be millionaires
15%

Total votes: 13

leapb4ulook

Three-wheeled Boards

Post by leapb4ulook » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:54 pm

What do you think...
Mutley wrote:Dude you are an inspiration, and a nut job all rolled into one.

Brennig wrote:Trees are where the party's at.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:10 pm

Just thinking about it is awkward.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Michael
Dirty

Post by Michael » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:26 pm

Not keen, but would like to see if anyone could develop them to actually have some advantage over 4 wheels
I can do a wheelie on a uni-cycle...

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:28 pm

I could make one for you this week, I'll be finishing my mold tomorrow. It'll just be wood and formica for now so it won't be great but somewhere to start.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:36 pm

belozerski is an awesome name. Bet the crew at MBS wish they would have came up with that
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:26 am

first board my mates and i rode was a battered 3wheel outback set-up for a goofy owner so we all had to use it switch. a good crash on an outback is a bad crash! great carvey fun, and they can handel alot of speed, but i don't see any advantage over the current fourwheelers.

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:23 am

I think the advantage is losing the weight of a truck and wheel at the back. I'm thinking about normal trucks and two wheels on the front and just a single wheel fixed in the middle at the back. I think it would make a really agile freeride board. I think it's going to be my next Nompa when I get around to it. ('s and brakes on the front, and a single 8 on the back.
Mutley wrote:Dude you are an inspiration, and a nut job all rolled into one.

Brennig wrote:Trees are where the party's at.

Jimmy Chaos
Seen it all

Post by Jimmy Chaos » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:05 am

I think there could be 2 advantages to a freeride three wheeler if you put a 12 inch fixed front tire , depending on your deck shape/tip angles you could get maximum ground clearance for that initial contact with an object or hole and at speed, shifting your weigh over the front fixed tire (bombing stance) would lessen the weight on the truck which would be more stable.
.............:D................
" Blatant Self Promotion "

[SIZE="5"][color="Red"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Habitual Suicide[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"][color="black"][font="Comic Sans MS"]-Mountainboarding T's-[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"][color="Blue"][SIZE="1"]
"Wear a helmet, don't drown in your own puke"
[/SIZE][/color][/color]

sk8norcal
Dirty

Post by sk8norcal » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:17 pm

^ how about a 5 wheeler,

take ur destinyboard, run it backwards,
but use a rear truck in the back instead of a single wheel....

half destinyboard + half mtboard = destiny's child :D

sk8norcal
Dirty

Post by sk8norcal » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:20 pm

"it's Belozer time, baby !! blah !!"

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C3saq8fLq6Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jimmy Chaos
Seen it all

Post by Jimmy Chaos » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:27 pm

Yeah I don't think front outriggers would be needed , I made that ski board, skate truck in the back single wheel in the front. The only reason that was sketchy is because there was so much torsion flex with using the skis like rails, whereas the rails on the apocalypse worked fantastic.
With all that weight up front on the belowzer I could see do a nose manual to face plant pretty easily with a generous dose of bang the shit out my shins in the process. It's definitely fast though.
.............:D................
" Blatant Self Promotion "

[SIZE="5"][color="Red"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Habitual Suicide[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"][color="black"][font="Comic Sans MS"]-Mountainboarding T's-[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"][color="Blue"][SIZE="1"]
"Wear a helmet, don't drown in your own puke"
[/SIZE][/color][/color]

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:54 am

Almost finished a mould for a three wheeled board. Found a shoe box that's just the right size to make a drop for the single wheel. I could press it today but I;'m not in the mood, should do it tomorrow though. It'll just be solid wood because it's much cheaper to experiment with.

Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:34 am

In the press, yay. Only the first two plies, the rest go in tonight.

Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:47 am

Brennig wrote:In the press, yay. Only the first two plies, the rest go in tonight.

Dude. Start a thread about this over in the Shed.
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:59 am

About 3-wheelers, their big edge is speed with more stability than 4-wheelers with front-rear steering. Seems like they would work well for free-ride and downhill. I would definitely want a brake. Did I mention SPEED ...

This with a titanium rear fork should be great for offroad:

Use these links for high-res photos:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_VVvE7ZICPYY/Shr40zr8D7I/AAAAAAAAAFM/wQSlK8A_kB4/s1600/ProtoT2-01.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_VVvE7ZICPYY/Shr4RHSnZNI/AAAAAAAAAFE/kjQfRNNNnXQ/s1600/ProtoT2-03.JPG

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_VVvE7ZICPYY/Shr31-q7b9I/AAAAAAAAAE8/glbqFFZIUM0/s1600/ProtoT2-05.JPG

Video link:

http://vimeo.com/4891042

~~~~~
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:09 am

another advantage that comes to mind for the type of riding you are on about building a 3-wheeler for roger is lessening the impact of camber. Mountainbikes have a distinct advantage when traversing a steep slope. Obviously you will still have camber issues with the front end but i think you may get much greater grip with a single wheel setup on the back.
I'm intrigued, and also tempted as to how easy it would be to build a single-wheel conversion for the back end of a nosno.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:11 am

Easy to add suspension to a single wheel too. So faster, lighter, smoother, cheaper, doesn't sound too bad.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:20 am

Forgot to mention. The rig pictured weighs in at 15 lb (6.8 kg).

Also, remember that the longer the distance between the two axles, the greater the flex. I used a short 8-ply maple deck (old MBS) which kept things nice and stiff.
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:14 pm

Had some nasty leaks, found one hole and managed to stop it, hopefully it's all in the sealing tape and not the actual bag. Despite this it still held it's shape, especially at the tips, the center camber was a bit disappointing but I expected it to be too much for 1/8" BB. I'm going to reply the sealing tape, test the bag overnight, and press the rest of the deck tomorrow.

Birch doesn't seem to be the best for mountain boards, but I still have a few cubic miles of the stuff. I'll use it for longboards and whacky ideas. The next material to be tested is balsa!

back to the three wheel goodness, here's a pic of the deck. As you can see it only has one tip, so the single wheel goes on the flat end.

Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”