Board too cold issue?

Everything happens here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

mbsrider
Dirty

Board too cold issue?

Post by mbsrider » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:29 pm

So I got a board for Christmas. I paid $100 and everyone else paid the rest. Now I can't open it til Christmas!! :( It's somewhere in my house all packaged up. It's killing me. I've already searched the house 5 times to try to find the box. The only place it could be now is in the attic and its freezing up there. That won't affect it will it? And the box has been thrashed around from shipping and from lugging it up flights of stairs. Nothing should be damaged because the boards wrapped in bubble wrap. I hope. Hope it has all of the bolts, nuts, screws, and washers or i'm screwed. And i'm super scared about irreversibly ruining my board as Jon Diubia repeatedly says in his video on how to put it together.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:41 pm

How to Defrost a mountainboard Like a Pro!

It’s a weekday, you’ve just gotten home from a long day of work, and now it’s time to go boarding. You find your garage bare, but the attic well stocked with rock hard, mountain boards. Do you:

A) Put some frozen board in the oven as-is,

B) Go bored because it’ll never defrost in time, or

C) Leave it in the sink and get an girlfriend?

Hopefully you’ve done none of the above, because there are four perfectly safe ways to defrost a mountainboard! You can use the refrigerator, cold water, the microwave, or a nifty defrosting plate.

The refrigerator is the safest, albeit slowest method available. Generally speaking, it takes about five full hours per pound of board. You can leave it in its original packaging or remove it if you wish to paint and pimp it. Keep in mind, that if you do remove its wrapper, you must rewrap it tightly in plastic clingwrap and then place it in a pan large enough to catch and contain all the drippings. Once it’s defrosted, you can keep it in the fridge for an additional one to two days.

Using cold water to defrost a board is a much faster method; about 30 minutes per pound. First make sure that your board is in a waterproof wrapper, such as clingwrap plus a zipper baggie, or just its original packaging. Then place your wrapped board in a bowl, and either shower it with a constant trickle of cold water, or allow it to sit in a full bowl of water. If you choose the latter, you’ll have to refill the cold water every 30 minutes. And remember: never, never use warm water because it allows bacteria to flourish!

The microwave is the trickiest way to defrost board. Aside from the fact that your board simply may not fit into the microwave, you run the risk of partially cooking the board you’re attempting to defrost! If you do try this method, test it out on a couple of small board pieces rather than an entire board. I recommend consulting your microwave manual as well. Heat for two minutes on the “defrost” setting, allow to sit for another two minutes, check on it, and then repeat until it’s fully defrosted.

The most impressive method is a defrosting tray. They’re just coated slabs of aluminum that transfer heat from the air to your boards quickly. Whether the frozen mountain board is in a bag or not, you just set it directly on the defrosting plate, and make sure that there is a pan underneath to catch drippings. You can usually defrost 8" tires straight from the freezer in under an hour!

All in all, the refrigerator is the method of choice if you are planning ahead. If strapped for time, and the board is small, use the defrosting tray. The cold water method is appropriate when you have a large board and have the time to run water over it. If you want to experiment with the microwave method, be careful and use only small pieces of your board!
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:42 pm

I had fun doing that, hopefully you had fun reading it too. Your board will be fine, don't worry :D
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

mbsrider
Dirty

Post by mbsrider » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:44 pm

You were joking?

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:50 pm

Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

Kiwy
Dirty

Post by Kiwy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:33 pm

yes, mine lasted two winters in the attic. and it's a delaminated powerlam, just had to keep it dry

mbsrider
Dirty

Post by mbsrider » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:37 pm

Thanks!

The 6th degree

Post by The 6th degree » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:17 am

Lol - that was awesome Brennig!

mbsrider - don't worry about your board; its not a sissy microscooter or inline skates - its a MOUNTAINBOARD!!! My main board is permanently covered in mud and I now keep one in my car boot *just in case* and its about -4 at the moment. Both are fine.

mbsrider
Dirty

Post by mbsrider » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:47 am

Thanks!

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:52 pm

I hate it when my board gets to cold, so i keep a ready filled hot water bottle always in my board bag. Keeps my pads toasty to.

wayne74
Slightly dirty

Post by wayne74 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:20 pm

Nice one brennig

LivEviL

Post by LivEviL » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:22 pm

I heard if a pro 95 gets cold it shrinks to a pro 90
He's no good to me dead.

mbsrider
Dirty

Post by mbsrider » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:26 pm

Haha you're kidding right? I believe you guys!!!! And i'm asking because mbs said if you get it cold then hot or really cold it can crack the deck and trucks!

LivEviL

Post by LivEviL » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:42 pm

I have rode my Leafe in negative degree ice, sleet weather here in Misery and never had a problem with the pro trucks or deck, that was even bombing a 4' kicker and landing in the flats
He's no good to me dead.

mbsrider
Dirty

Post by mbsrider » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:50 pm

awesome! thanks man!

fenboy

Post by fenboy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:40 am

Aaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhhh that is all.

mbsrider
Dirty

Post by mbsrider » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:21 am

Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhh

buggley

Post by buggley » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:35 pm

Get off the couch disengage your brain....... Go ride
"from now on the only one im pimpin is sweet lady propane and im trick n her out all over this town" hank hill

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”