Stopping/Powerslides

Everything happens here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

mbsrider
Dirty

Stopping/Powerslides

Post by mbsrider » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:51 pm

For the last couple of years I learned with a break. I know it was a mistake because I never knew how to stop. Today I went out to a state park and went down some insanely icy, snowy, steep, amazing hills! It was so much fun. The only problem was I didn't know how to stop so I just waited til I slowed down or scrubbed some speed. I know how to do powerslide I just can't physically do it. Any tips or help?

Michael
Dirty

Post by Michael » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:13 pm

You can either powerslide, scrub, use trees, people, walls, rocks, water and hedges.
I can do a wheelie on a uni-cycle...

Ian@KentATB

Post by Ian@KentATB » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:20 pm

If you know the physics behind it. You should be able to learn the technique at pretty slow speeds with the conditions you describe above. When it is dryer / grippier you will need to be more aggressive. If you are learning them in first instance. Just initiate a turn, squat down, grab the edge of the board and lean back with a trailing hand.
[align=center][font=Impact]www.kentatb.com

[font=Courier New][color=DarkGreen][size=134]Freeriding - it's a monk's life
[/font][/SIZE][/color][/font][/align]

MarcATB
Dirty

Post by MarcATB » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:11 pm

and here is the guy who did backflips, and don't know to stop?
Visit Serbia and experience best boarder cross on planet

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:59 pm

Rotate your shoulders, otherwise you'll either fall on your bum or make a slow uphill turn. It's a good way to control your slide, if your shoulders are parallel to the board it should grip. Easy way to initiate this is either reaching behind you with your front arm, or pretending to punch a parrot off your front shoulder with your back hand.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

mbsrider
Dirty

Post by mbsrider » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:07 pm

MarcATB, as soon as it gets warm I'll go out and set out wooden ramp I built last summer at the straight hill that I got a few backflips on. I'm pretty light and I did tumbling for 5 years (yeah I know kind of a girl thing) so I know the physics behind flips and back handsprings and all that stuff. And I'm pretty light and when you're getting launched so high its not hard to (pull chains) whip yourself back with momentum of the speed.

mbsrider
Dirty

Post by mbsrider » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:08 pm

And I never knew how to stop i would either purposely stack or is just ride til I slowed to a stop or j turns.

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:53 am

Mutley wrote:Dude you are an inspiration, and a nut job all rolled into one.

Brennig wrote:Trees are where the party's at.

theosnw
Noob

Post by theosnw » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:23 pm

The easiest way I could explain it is...

Squat like your going to sit on the floor.
As your arse/ass is about to touch the floor, lean back.
The back end of the board will start to swing out.
Stand up quick, while still leaning back slightly.
Done.

No need to grab the board or put your arms out other than to break your fall if done incorrectly.

ZeroPoint
Noob

Post by ZeroPoint » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:00 am

So I was looking thorugh jasper's videos, and I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfjHJRd7f1Y .

Great video & great woodland trails. At 1:10 he talks breifly on how to do a aggressive slide.

I still cant slide like this, I slide standing.

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”