Best Berm?

Everything happens here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

leapb4ulook

Best Berm?

Post by leapb4ulook » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:55 am

having recently done some re-shaping of a berm, and spent some time working out how I think berms should be shaped, I want to compare what's in my head to the real world. So...

What's the best berm you've ever ridden?

Which berm at which centre rides the most smooth?
Mutley wrote:Dude you are an inspiration, and a nut job all rolled into one.

Brennig wrote:Trees are where the party's at.

_Kryten_
Slightly dirty

Post by _Kryten_ » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:33 am

I'm a fan of the one before the drop at Hales

ade_mcc

Post by ade_mcc » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:31 pm

A good berm can be ridden in a number of different lines accommodating several riders allowing for separate strategies - tight and possibly fast in, slow out or wide and smooth.

A good, satisfying berm will be shaped in a way that you are changing overall direction without loss of speed. There is the feeling of being locked-in and not spat out the lip unfairly.

My favourite berm is the third from last corner (dropping right-hander) on the Court Farm black run. Alternatively, the final left-right at Hales, or for something completely different, the last corner at the Edge - doesn't matter how fast you are going, you just ride the massive berms even higher (on a dry day anyway!)

Matt_Brind
Slightly dirty

Post by Matt_Brind » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:20 pm

Right berm - final right at Hale's a couple years ago when it was smooth dirt.
Left berm - first berm at the Edge.
Hale's kept your speed and felt like a corner of a bowl which was awesome (it's all about the G's!!)
The Edge was big and smooth and you could almost pump your way round the corner, with the bonus of a little room for overtaking and multiple lines.

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:23 pm

first right-hander at swmbc because if you got drawn in the inside gate you could take everyone out in the first corner and cruise down the rest of the track. Other than the fact that you couldn't ride it as a berm it was sweet. Second favourite was the roller berm at swmbc because if you were regular then you had no way of holding a good line and would end up out the back of it usualy on your head.
I think what i'm trying to say roger is if you want to see how not to build a track, remind yourself of the old swmbc setup.

On a more serious note, favourite berm would have to be the double berm left hander after the death drop at coastal (2005ish?). It was scary and brilliant to ride but i'm damn glad i was regular for that one.

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:08 pm

Oh yeah, I remember that berm at Coastal. What was it you liked about it?
Mutley wrote:Dude you are an inspiration, and a nut job all rolled into one.

Brennig wrote:Trees are where the party's at.

MarcATB
Dirty

Post by MarcATB » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:25 am

I love few berms in Serbia... but in Willingen there is 2 giant berms of 3-4m...
Visit Serbia and experience best boarder cross on planet

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:33 am

you hit it with so much speed you shat yourself every time, but despite that you could get round it with some quite shady lines, just seemed to hug you in and spit you round. If you were feeling brave you could go for the inside line. Glad i was hitting it regular, must've been terrifying hitting that toeside with the consequences of catching a heel edge dropping into it!

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:35 am

that berm claimed my ribs. so gnarley.

tried big 4 man berms on a local bmx course, thought they were a bit mellow and boring really, probabley different if your racing them i guess, i wouldn;'t know. my fav dirt ones are only about waist high single track that the mountainbikers build heaps of here and its more like you slash round them than ride.
and wooden berms, fast as fook if you're on a decent gradient.

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”