Thank you Mountainboard Centres

Everything happens here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

leapb4ulook

Thank you Mountainboard Centres

Post by leapb4ulook » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:44 am

Over the past few months four mountainboard centres have closed in the UK; Surf The Turf, Haredown, Ivyleaf and Out To Grass.

I'd like to say thanks to all those involved in running mountainboard centres across the country and the world. It's not an easy job, but it's an important one. I completely understand the decisions made by those that ran the centres that closed, but it makes me appreciate those who are still at it even more. I'm hoping for a good season for you all.
Mutley wrote:Dude you are an inspiration, and a nut job all rolled into one.

Brennig wrote:Trees are where the party's at.

MarcATB
Dirty

Post by MarcATB » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:12 am

yeah.... I wish to visit one of UK centers one day....
we here will never have something like that.
We have nice terrain, best track, solid kickers, but we can't charge here
tickets... and we are building everything ourselves...
One day I will see UK centers, places I was dreaming for years...
Visit Serbia and experience best boarder cross on planet

evilc

Post by evilc » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:45 am

Haredown and OTG are gone for good??
(Work in Progress) Board buying guide

My Rides

Main:
TK Pro deck | F3 bindings | FX heelstraps | Rockstar Pro hubs | T1 tyres | Trampa Vertigo trucks w/ Titanium kingpins | Less Spring mod | Yellow Trampa Dampas | Stainless steel fixings upgrade

Spare / Loaner:
Trampa 16 ply 35 deg long deck | Talon II bindings | FX heelstraps | Manhick cast metal triskpoke wheels | Scrub Alu trucks | Green Trampa Dampas | ABS brake kit

Tom's 180's
Dirty

Post by Tom's 180's » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:40 pm

Damn. Does anyone know what the costs of running a centre are? Or is it just a case of not as profitable as farming?

snowmonco
Dirty

Post by snowmonco » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:04 pm

leapb4ulook wrote:Over the past few months four mountainboard centres have closed in the UK; Surf The Turf, Haredown, Ivyleaf and Out To Grass.

Very very sad news indeed. Wish one day I'll be lucky to ride at one of your UK centres but by the way things are going the more certain is that they are gone by then :(
- Enjoy the Ride -

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:20 am

What centres need to is to show ads while keeping attendance free. Google did it, why can't they?

Roger knockhill
Dirty

Post by Roger knockhill » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:05 am

nob

markbrosnan78
Dirty

Post by markbrosnan78 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:53 pm

Sad days. I've yet to visit any centres as that are a bit of a trek. Hopefully those left will last. I was looking forward to popping over to Ivyleaf whilst on holiday this year.

The costs must be high but unseen. If I win a fortune on the lottery I'll open one and run it at a loss just for the love.
[align=center]Trampa[/align]

[align=center]Allowing even fat blokes to ride since 2000...[/align]

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:14 pm

I don't know if costs are high, but I doubt the income is, sadly.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:13 am

insurance and staff are biggest costs i guess, and rent if land isnt owned.

Bet insurance is a bomb.
My site: [color="Red"]OneDayMedia[/color]

wayne74
Slightly dirty

Post by wayne74 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:43 pm

It's insurance that's the killer so I was told when kelstedge mbc closed down and it ain't gettin no cheaper , we really need to support the centres that are still up n running me and my fellow riders from atb extreme norfolk are travelling to ride the hill priory farm Surrey at Easter then hopefully all the other centres at least once this year. Redhill priory farm is the closest centre to us, at 140 miles it ain't that close but well worth every mile of crappy roads. We really need to suport all the remaining centres guys!!!!

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:49 pm

wayne74 wrote:We really need to suport all the remaining centres guys!!!!

Agreed. That's why we want as many people as possible to go to the Away Days
Mutley wrote:Dude you are an inspiration, and a nut job all rolled into one.

Brennig wrote:Trees are where the party's at.

wayne74
Slightly dirty

Post by wayne74 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:54 pm

:eek::eek::eek:We plan on attending away days but can't make 1st one @ironsides due to work/family commitments hence were hittin Rth on Easter Sunday early start but worth it i gotta go north to Lincoln then set off south to Rth so leave house 5:30am I think that's called commitment.. Or just madness!!!

AidanRTH
Baby

Post by AidanRTH » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:33 pm

Looking forward to seeing you Wayne!! Yes running a centre is expensive and difficult, we've sure found this out since taking over Ride The Hill in November. Then to find out we were going to have the wettest winter and summer since like forever. But...this sport was built on centres and rider's sticking together and supporting each other and this will be the way in which the sport continues to grow. Ride The Hill will be attending every away day possible as i genuinely believe its ideas and efforts like these that will boost the sport.

Looking forward to a POSITIVE season this year in Mountainboarding, for those i haven't met...I hope to meet you at some point this year!

barxx
Slightly dirty

Post by barxx » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:54 am

Another World in Halifax has just reopened it's doors for the season, somewhere else to ride after all the downers of places closing

angrysurfer
Dirty

Post by angrysurfer » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:41 am

Anyone want to hit RTH tomorrow? Couple of us are planning on heading down for the first time this year!

lil_rich
Noob

On Haredown

Post by lil_rich » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:16 am

I probably won't be too popular for this, but Haredown made some pretty serious mistakes. I was there on the very first weekend that they opened. I lived in the village and had been riding for a year before they opened, can you imaging how stoked I was?!

There was a great community of local riders who were some of the best in the country at the time, but Haredown didn't recognise how those of us competing in ATBA events could contribute to their success by promoting them around the country. They focussed on marketing to the rich kiddies and birthday parties. It wasn't viewed as a serious sport by them; it was only a money-making venture. As a result, they didn't invest time or effort into engaging mountainboarding and helping progress the sport. When the UK economy went south, the birthday parties went away and they were left with nothing.

Regardless of my criticism, I'm sad to see it go, even though I haven't lived there for 8 years. Haredown was an important part of my youth and was important to many riders. I wish them all luck in the future.

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”