BajaBoard - Finally, a FREESTYLE Motorboard project

Everything happens here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

PingaAus
Noob

BajaBoard - Finally, a FREESTYLE Motorboard project

Post by PingaAus » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:17 am

Hi Guys & Gals,

My name is George, from Melbourne, Australia. This post is to give a sneak peek at a project that a friend and I have been working on since 2010. Presenting the BajaBoard.

I'm not going to use the words "different" or "revolutionary" to describe the BajaBoard, because so many people have used them that they have lost their meaning. So, in lieu of hype, here's a link to a pic of what we have built:

Flickr Prototype Photo

The name BajaBoard was inspired by the Baja1000 rally. In short, we wanted to make a motorboard that you can actually pull tricks with. I'm not talking about a casual drift or an incidental jump off a curb. I'm talking serious air time, grinds, grabs and flips. Think Crusty Demons, think Nitro Circus.

We don't want to make an environmental statement, or take you to the grocery store. Please, no more 4 wheeled Segways. We are here for the extreme sports enthusiasts, the adrenalin junkies, the dare devils and perhaps a few nut cases. BajaBoard is designed by board riders (and professional engineers) for board riders.

There's no need to lug the BajaBoard in a van or on a trailer. Throw it into the trunk or strap it to your roof rack. Turn your local park into a motocross arena at your whim (with council approval, hopefully).

The machine you see in the photo is our Prototype Generation 1. It has not been refined or styled. From playing with this baby, we have learnt many lessons which we are implementing into a Prototype Generation 2 this and next month. It will be lighter, meaner, slightly smaller, and better integrated. Parts are in transit as I write this.

The BajaBoard's proprietary design will offer:-

- Independent suspension & steering - to land BIG jumps and for responsive handling;
- Dynamic wheel behavior - stable at speed and easy to drift;
- Heaps of low-end torque, and a top speed in the order of 50km/h;
- Optimized engineering - strong enough for stunts, and weighing in sub-15kg (and like a bad strip poker player, we are constantly taking more off).

It will also feature a grind plate.

It is past conceptual, but still relatively early-ish days. If you are intrigued by what you see, or if you are bored of seeing mobility scooters in board form, we would greatly appreciate your support. Please LIKE our Facebook page (facebook.com/bajaboard), follow us on Twitter (@BajaBoard) and tell others.

And, of course, please feel free to comment or ask questions. Please appreciate that I can't go into every detail of the design as it is proprietary, but I will be as open as possible

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:37 am

sounds awesome, looking forward to hearing and seeing more!
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

BDirthead
Experienced

Post by BDirthead » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:55 pm

Your prototype looks impressive. I think a simplified light weight version may be fun to ride in the right conditions. I will have to keep an eye on the progress.

sk8norcal
Dirty

Post by sk8norcal » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:13 pm

holy...
damn that thing is a beast...

how about some videos...?
weight?

reposted here,
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=53016

PingaAus
Noob

Post by PingaAus » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:28 am

Cheers sk8norcal.
Weight-wise, we are extremely aware that if this baby is gonna pull off the right moves, it needs to be light. So, just to err on the safe side, let's just assume for now that it'll be 15kg-ish.
We'll be making some decent videos with our second Gen 2 prototype. Expect something around Oct. Maybe an amateur-ish vid before then. We will post more and more pics though, so hopefully that can tie ppl through:)

The 6th degree

Post by The 6th degree » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:49 am

Wow - looks pretty cool.

I cant really see in the pics, how is the speed/brakes controlled?

Be interested to see how much abuse it can take - the axles/steering looks pretty complex and I think the only axles I've never heard of breaking are NoSno Alloys (which are just a tube of metal...although I am sure someone has bent one at some point).

*WiL*

Post by *WiL* » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:17 am

From the photo, it looks like Batman's mountainboard (only it should be night, and very moodily lit).
Sounds cool tho, good luck with it, look forward to watching progress!

Michael
Dirty

Post by Michael » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:45 am

I can do a wheelie on a uni-cycle...

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:21 am

Michael wrote:Image

damn how did i miss that! lol

sk8norcal
Dirty

Post by sk8norcal » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:25 am

btw,

have you guys seen humboldt's 4wd rc board?
here's his board at nitro circus,
but not doing much...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmKO6hEPoM8

PingaAus wrote:Cheers sk8norcal.
Weight-wise, we are extremely aware that if this baby is gonna pull off the right moves, it needs to be light. So, just to err on the safe side, let's just assume for now that it'll be 15kg-ish.
We'll be making some decent videos with our second Gen 2 prototype. Expect something around Oct. Maybe an amateur-ish vid before then. We will post more and more pics though, so hopefully that can tie ppl through:)

PingaAus
Noob

Post by PingaAus » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:13 pm

sk8norcal wrote:btw,have you guys seen humboldt's 4wd rc board?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmKO6hEPoM8

We have seen that board, actually came upon it a bit earlier this year:)
Of course, everyone knows that motorizing a mtboard, skateboard or longboard isn't new. That's why for us, 90% of the effort has been put into redefining the board. Putting motors on is lower on the priority list than getting the structure right.

PingaAus
Noob

Post by PingaAus » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:18 pm

And a big LOL to Michael's Futurama reference!

sk8norcal
Dirty

Post by sk8norcal » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:11 pm

btw, linkage steering and suspension is not new also,
check out my blog for past examples...

http://wackyboards.blogspot.com/search/label/mountain%20boards

PingaAus
Noob

Post by PingaAus » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:01 am

You are absolutely right sk8norcal:) These things have been tried before.
Our project is to combine independent steering, suspension and motor power into a board light enough for freestyle, but can take a s***load of punishment. This is the hard bit.
Plus, we actually do have features on the board that are new, but that'll come out with Gen 2:)

PingaAus
Noob

Post by PingaAus » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:21 pm

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:10 am

everything looks amazing though ive noticed your not mentioning anything about bindings....

barxx
Slightly dirty

Post by barxx » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:33 pm

Looks amazing! How's about no motor?
[font="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][color="Red"]If you're gonna be dumb, then you gotta be tough[/color][/SIZE][/font]

PingaAus
Noob

Post by PingaAus » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:40 pm

Ben wrote:everything looks amazing though ive noticed your not mentioning anything about bindings....

Won't finalise binding until we test out Gen2. Tossing up between the freeboard-esque open bindings and standard mountainboard bindings. May have to offer options if it really came down to it.

barxx wrote:Looks amazing! How's about no motor?

Arguably, the whole suspension jig could be overkill if there was no motor. In any case, the BajaBoard has low rolling resistance, so nothing stopping anyone from using it unpowered downhill :D
Having said that, we aren't ruling out making an unpowered version down the track :)

MarcATB
Dirty

Post by MarcATB » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:19 am

Consider promotion on the biggest mountainboard event in 2014. - 2nd World BX Championship in Serbia 5-6th September
Visit Serbia and experience best boarder cross on planet

PingaAus
Noob

Post by PingaAus » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:40 pm

Thanks for that tip MarcATB!

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”