some feedback/opinions on our dirtboard project?

Everything happens here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

CHAINMAILLEKID
Noob

some feedback/opinions on our dirtboard project?

Post by CHAINMAILLEKID » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:17 pm

So, making a dirtboard ( again ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v30eulN23g

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzNP3R5fLHo

My concern is... Riley has only ever had one commercial dirtboard, and that was some ground industries thing forever ago that used some weird cube for resistance.
So almost all of our experience of what dirtboards are, or can be, is based on that board.

But for all we know, the sport has developed way beyond that, and those viewpoints are irrelevant.

So I just kinda want to ask...

What are some of the things you think we'll run into along the way?

AND.

If this was your project, what would your goals, be?
What direction would you take it?

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:02 am

Is the turning angle adjustable?

Is the deck height adjustable?

How do they stand up to impacts from jumping?

How durable are the cam blocks, do they last a long time?

Is there anything unique or different about them from other channel trucks?

Another question, not so much about your trucks just interested in your opinion: do you think it would be possible to design trucks where the wheels are not connected by a central axle but there is still good RTC?
Mutley wrote:Dude you are an inspiration, and a nut job all rolled into one.

Brennig wrote:Trees are where the party's at.

CHAINMAILLEKID
Noob

Post by CHAINMAILLEKID » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:13 am

leapb4ulook wrote:Is the turning angle adjustable?

Not at the moment.

Is the deck height adjustable?

No.

How do they stand up to impacts from jumping?

Axles are underbuilt right now, they'll start bending.

How durable are the cam blocks, do they last a long time?

Yes, they normally last about a year for me.

Is there anything unique or different about them from other channel trucks?

We're going for a narrow wheel base, as well as a narrow axle, and perhaps a bit of a taller deck than normal.

Another question, not so much about your trucks just interested in your opinion: do you think it would be possible to design trucks where the wheels are not connected by a central axle but there is still good RTC?

Not sure exactly what you mean, you mean like trucks that use armatures or auckerman trucks and the like? And I'm assuming RTC is Return to center?

If that's what you're asking, then yes. That should be very possible.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:43 am

When I have the time and resources I will try cam trucks, will be very inexpensive to produce, just need to use someones tools. I think they will need wider polyurethane cams, and absorb rough terrain otherwise it will throw you all over the place. Plus they'll need to have a lot of resistance, coming into a rocky corner at 30 mph will not end well with very loose trucks.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

CHAINMAILLEKID
Noob

Post by CHAINMAILLEKID » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:36 pm

Brennig wrote:When I have the time and resources I will try cam trucks, will be very inexpensive to produce, just need to use someones tools. I think they will need wider polyurethane cams, and absorb rough terrain otherwise it will throw you all over the place. Plus they'll need to have a lot of resistance, coming into a rocky corner at 30 mph will not end well with very loose trucks.

I'm not sure about the wider cams.
Currently we run 4" wide cams, but back on our very first dirtboard experiment, we actually made a truck with a 6" wide cam. And it was really way too much.

you can see it in this video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNINi7-H-i4&list=PL5yZQb3nCI4T9bPvMvUE05tp5B5UvEfrf

It actually ended up being a better buttboard than a dirtboard.

So if we do make a version with a wider cam, its only going to be 4 1/2 or 5 inches.

With the 6" cam, even with no resistance at all, it was just too much effort to turn. It was really strange.

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:32 pm

Brennig wrote:When I have the time and resources I will try cam trucks.

Make sure you don't have any gaps that rocks can get into and stop you turning.

CHAINMAILLEKID wrote:Not sure exactly what you mean, you mean like trucks that use armatures or auckerman trucks and the like? And I'm assuming RTC is Return to center?

If that's what you're asking, then yes. That should be very possible.

Not really like those as the wheels are still connected. I want four independent wheels each with their own return to centre. Do you think that's possible?
Mutley wrote:Dude you are an inspiration, and a nut job all rolled into one.

Brennig wrote:Trees are where the party's at.

*WiL*

Post by *WiL* » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:20 am

looks interesting & fun! Think you guys should maybe do a bit of more up to date market research, like errrr looking at MBS & Trampa?!! The GI cube stuff from the mid noughties was elitist to their boards, which were small in number (not available in the UK either) and so never really caught on.
IMHO, your deck looks way small too, resulting in a very nasty looking (& probably unnatural feeling) stance. (ie deck too short, bindings too close together) It means u can do those mini-slash/scrubs on the grass but seriously, i'd not take that in the woods, off jumps, or down any proper hills!
Trucks look interesting, those other boys ^ will talk for years about them with u :)
Goals: 1. offer something specifically different to existing boards to bridge a gap or solve a riding problem (ie like NoSno), or, offer a competitively priced alternative to existing boards (tricky without mass manufacture probably in China etc). 2. Have a laugh making and riding off-road wheelie boards.
Direction: Downhill, natch. Good luck!

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:52 pm

Good job guys, it takes some serious motivation to get into the business of building.... well, anything, but boards in particular!
As for remarks, I agree with Will, the deck is too short for all the reasons he mentioned.
I would also suggest using a tripod for your videos, it'll force you to present things a bit more "cleanly" (no camera shake, pointing up and down constantly).

If you guys are located in SLC, there's a whole crew of really good mountainboarders there, that can help you with designs, testing and everything. Look up Dirtstar Army.

CHAINMAILLEKID
Noob

Post by CHAINMAILLEKID » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:32 pm

Ok, so over last weekend we were able to take the board out, and we managed to get a few videos and all that.

And we agree with the stance being too narrow, so we'll try to address that.
The main thing is though, we want to keep the wheelbase short, and the axles narrow, and that's what drove the stance to be small in the first place, however, I think it was counter productive.

Also, the axles have been surprisingly strong. I bet if we take the same design, but do it with steel that we can treat, and harden, then we will have something legit.

leapb4ulook wrote:I want four independent wheels each with their own return to centre. Do you think that's possible?

Can you draw a picture?

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”