miniramp advice please

Everything happens here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

belac
Old timer

miniramp advice please

Post by belac » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:08 am

Got a big flat padock and wanna build a miniramp for after work seshs. Alltho i'll likley skate it as well its predominently for mountainboard, so id like to get the right size and flow. Can anyone with abit of knoledge give any idea on transitions, perfect heights and flat length.
The plan is to continue one side around the other creating a half bowl, but i can always mellow this part out if a perect mimp (i just created that word, patent pending) needs to be short and flicky.
Any advice appriciated :-)

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:23 am

badger joe dickson on facebook, he's a very handy man when it comes to building fun things for wheeled toys out of wood.

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:31 pm

Height-wise, I would say 4ft is probably a good size for a mountainboard. Smaller is gonna suck. As for the exit angle, I'd say 70/75 degrees, you don't want any vert on that. I must say I've never built one though. Should I shut up, maybe?

Matt_Brind
Slightly dirty

Post by Matt_Brind » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:33 am

If you're going 4ft tall, I'd use either an 8 or 9ft radius for the transition.
If you draw both curves on the ply, you'll be able to compare them and pick which you think is best :)

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:15 am

Ok. Cheers for that. Would having each side on a diferant radius suck? Was thinking about 6ft initially as it will double as a drop in for a few flat ground rails, but i can always add on an extention tomb stone for that. Gonna count ply this weekend and maybe do a sketch up. Anyone know how to measure transition in sketch up? I,ve always done it by eye.

Michael
Dirty

Post by Michael » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:16 pm

Make sure there is a big enough gap between the two trannys!
I can do a wheelie on a uni-cycle...

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:46 am

Thought id just catchup on how this is going, only have my phone for internet these days and can't figur out how to post photos onto here. Looks mean sofar tho.
I went with 4" as recomended, and thats the width of the ply i scrounged. Gonna ride it for a while before i add on any more height. Used an 8.5" radius for the tranny. Well flicky, gonna be a big change from the very mellow quater pipe i usd to have. Have cut 6 trannys to give enough strengh in the mid sections. And made them so 1 sheet of 8" ply fits in perfect top to bottom. The width of the ramp will be just over 4.5m which means loads of struts to shore up the weaker areas, but as i'm building the half bowl conected to one side it needs to be big enough for latral lines. The last thing is i'm just gonna have it as two quarters facing each other for now and have the mid section as just ply on the floor or rolled dirt, this means i can figure out the perfect distance between the two trannys.
Cheers for the pointers, it deffinetly helps when you don't want o make stupid misstakes that take ages to fix. I'll sort out some photos soon.

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:51 am

Not really getting this done fast as lifes a bit hectic at present, but i stole away from baby dutys today and got the second tranny built. Bit stumped now tho as the coping i was gonna use is a bit to small a radius but i'll sort spmething out. Thinking of using roof flashing.

Roger knockhill
Dirty

Post by Roger knockhill » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:14 am

get some more uprights either side og the middle support, it will save you repairing at a later date, apart from that its lookin sweet ;)

Roger knockhill
Dirty

Post by Roger knockhill » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:15 am

and you dont really need coping tbh just cut some plastic pipe lengthways open it up and screw it on ;)

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:35 am

Michael wrote:Make sure there is a big enough gap between the two trannys!

I learned this lesson the hard way in Thailand
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:39 pm

Haha - should have worn butpads.

I like the plastic pipe idea roger, do you have any photos of what size pipe you've used? I was gonna have to use 4/5cm scaffold tubes, but that would be a fortune
(and i want to build this for free) think i might be able to blag oragation pipe off the local farmers. And that would be a nifty way to cope the half bowl. Awesome, glad i posted this here, wouldnt have thought of that myself. :)

Roger knockhill
Dirty

Post by Roger knockhill » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:43 pm

3 inch pipe the blue stuff over here, dunno what colours ya got over there. dont use any kind of guttering stuff though cos its pants and cracks real quick, ill get ya a pic sent over when i get up the hill, metal copings old hat at knockhill cos it gets nicked by the pikeys if not screwed in with a million screws :mad:

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:02 pm

Cheers roger. Yeah we got tje swe stuff here. I'll await the photos then. Do you just run a grinder along it to open it up?

Fucking pikeys ripping off your gear? Greasy little nobjockys ay, same all over i'm afraid, you need to screw you're fillings in over here to stop oppertunistic meth heads trying to nick em.

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:24 am

Ages since i added to this but then ages since i got anything done to the ramp. Have now decided to add lots more features to the ramp area and create a flatland over sized pump track. Now named electric avenue as it sits under some pylons and your hair stands on end when its drizzly.

Finally managed to get both sides ply'd when a storm came thru and chucked one entire side 20m down the padock. So after another lengthy rebuild i have to steak everything into the floor now.

Have been looking at the eye shaped offcuts lying around for a while and wondering if they could become a big roller. So finally got around to nailing something together this arvo and its worked quite well. Plan is to have this as one side of a funbox and try to find a unused trampoline frame to cope the sides of it.

And the long things in the photo above are 200mm wide disgarded roof flashings that just need a bit of inner boxing and theres some 5m rails. Chuffed with his find. :)

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:11 am

awesome, very reactive thinking with the eye shaped bits, me likey!
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

Roger knockhill
Dirty

Post by Roger knockhill » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:08 am

it makes a great template for a big quarter too, and a rollin if you jack up one end :rolleyes: dont be tempted to build a sewsaw though trust me it hurts a lot;)

Roger knockhill
Dirty

Post by Roger knockhill » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:13 am

back up the hill full time now so ill start getting you some pics, modified the big air landing and had to remove one of the quarter pipes due to storm damage :( new toys a plenty though, the spinning thing of doom os ready to sesh, (1st aid kit at the ready)

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:17 pm

Spinning thing of doom sounds like my idea of fun. Hope to see some carnage shots soon. :-)

Montana Rider
Slightly dirty

Post by Montana Rider » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:21 pm

banked wall! with a super smooth surface to do powerslides on. i used an old freezer and it was dope. and of course a dirt jump on the side for a baller hip

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”