Just moved to Moab, want to learn this amazing sport!

Everything happens here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

sectownkid
Baby

Just moved to Moab, want to learn this amazing sport!

Post by sectownkid » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:22 pm

Hey guys noob here, so this is my first post and I am new to the world of mountainboarding. I am a snowboarder for 10+ years and been downhill skateboarding for about 4.. Im wondering if there are parallels and how does this transition into mountainboarding? will it be easier to learn, or is it a completely new learning curve and hard to learn? I just moved to Moab from Park City a few days ago (snow is terrible this year) and really want to get into this, because I love riding pow, cliffs and natural terrain so much in the winter. and although longboarding is fun I feel very limited in what I can do. So Im already scouting terrain I want to ride.. and the terrain out here is ridiculous. I live a few miles from slickrock trailhead and that place looks like rider's heaven, I know Im gonna suck at first but I have never been this stoked on learning a new sport.. any tips on learning or picking a good board would be greatly appreciated!

PS- Ive never been that much into freestyle and much prefer freeride, how does snowboarding steeps translate over to mountainboarding steeps? Is stopping an issue and do you guys prefer slide stopping over the V brake system? Sorry for all the questions Im very excited to get into this sport! Thanks in advance!

Charley

Daleyg3
Dirty

Post by Daleyg3 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:43 am

Hi Charley,

This is great to see! Snowboarding and Downhil skating/Longboarding translate very well to Mountainboarding and vice versa. Sliding to stop is a very similar motion to a coleman slide or stinkbug if you don't know what you're doing ;)

Best just to learn to turn, hands down slide heelside and jumps first off and be confident with flatland 180's. This will enable freeriding to be a lot less scary imo.

As for the MBS V Brake, it only slows you down to a speed you can standie slide at. It'll work on single track but nothing mega steep.

As for picking up a Board, most start on ebay for £50 odd but you're looking at £200 for a good complete.

Sorry to keep it short, fire questions away. Cheers. :)

Kiwy
Dirty

Post by Kiwy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:24 pm

You already know how to mountainboard. Best way to stop is still the powerslide (on not asphalt). It feels a bit scary until you get used to it but after that it just turns into a badass looking showstopper.

For your discipline a longer deck would be a bit more useful. Honestly picking a mountainboard is not rocket science Even if you pick a kiteboard by mistake you can still ride anything. Just don't expect skate trucks to last very long. 2 companies are now top MBS and Trampa. Most of the riders here have boards from them but you might see NoSno, PMS, Flame, Scrub, GI etc. Then the frankenboards and custom builds. Like this one: http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7636

Important: gloves, wrist guards, buttpants (crash pants). These get used the most.
And your regular common sense padding.

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:00 pm

Slickrock was pretty sketch IMO but bartlett wash is a mountainboarders dream. If you are going to live/ride moab I recommend throwing down on the most expensive board you can, a used Leon Pro or TK Pro from MBS should do the trick.
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:26 pm

Hey Charley, a bunch of us are going to be riding slickrock and other places early May... check out https://www.facebook.com/events/731453276897908/

PM me if you can't join.

I would stick to the MBS Pros if you think you're gonna be serious about riding. Freeride boards are heavy and hard to move around.
You won't be riding insanely steep terrain, and you'll come to appreciate how easy friction makes riding a snowboard! Mountainboarding is easy to get into. It gets hard when you want to replicate snowboarding with drops, quick speed checks and stuff.
It sounds like you have way more experience than you need, so you will be ok!

sectownkid
Baby

Post by sectownkid » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:41 am

I really appreciate all the helpful responses! So far Im just getting settled into my job and saving up cash for a board, Im thinking about grabbing a comp95x. But meanwhile I've been hiking around and scouting lines, and getting stoked on it. it's all I think about at work.

mccarver, I looked up bartlett wash and now, quite frankly, I went from being stoked to about to jizz my pants. That place straight up looks like God's tripped out natural skatepark. Have you ridden it yet? And to think for years I would get depressed after ski season ended.. this whole damn time I could have been doing this!

And Mikael, Im ALL down for that and thank you for the offer! It would be awesome to start learning with a group of seasoned riders too, might motivate me to go harder. Link dont work for me and I still cant PM, but my email is bombhillsnotcountries@riseup.net, or just PM me with additional info!

Thanks again to everyone for the tips and warm welcome here, I see myself really getting into this. Ill keep you guys updated on the cross over!

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:34 am

Just shot you an email.

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:29 am

sectownkid wrote:mccarver, I looked up bartlett wash and now, quite frankly, I went from being stoked to about to jizz my pants. That place straight up looks like God's tripped out natural skatepark. Have you ridden it yet? And to think for years I would get depressed after ski season ended.. this whole damn time I could have been doing this!

Yeah I rode it back in 2003, it was quite amazing. I think I may have posted a thread with pics, let me see if I can find it.
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:29 am

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”