Mountainboard Maintenance

Everything happens here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

pure7865
Noob

Mountainboard Maintenance

Post by pure7865 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:04 am

I'm not sure how, or when, but at some point while I was out yesterday, I managed to pop my front right tyres' inner bearing... :/
I will be ordering some new bearings soon, if someone could drop a link to a good set of mountainboard bearings to buy I would appreciate.
More importantly, how do I get bearings in and out of the hubs? I have taken my board apart once before to clean it up, and they were a b*tch to get out and back in again, I have a feeling I may have damaged them when putting them back in, maybe that's why they broke...not sure. Anyway so yeah any advice on that would be nice, in general any tips for taking apart and putting the wheels back together again would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Dan

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:09 am

i use the axels themselves to get them out by putting the axel into the hub at an angle. Put it through the first bearing normal and letting the end hit the side of the other bearing. A firm knock on the top of the hub should pop that sucker right out. Kinda hard to explain without a picture. There has to be a tutorial around here that explains it better but I'm having trouble finding it.
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

Gaz
Slightly dirty

Post by Gaz » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:22 am

If the bearing is tight or broken try heating the hub a bit by immersing it in a bowl of hot water for 5 minutes or so. That should make the hub expand a little if it is metal or get a little more flexible if it is plastic.

Daleyg3
Dirty

Post by Daleyg3 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:56 am

A skate tool and brute force is what I use.. No idea how you 'pop' a bearing though, Mountainboard bearings are indestructible compared to skateboard ones.

pure7865
Noob

Post by pure7865 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:41 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, and about popping it...I really don't know xD But the shield came loose and won't go back in and the metal bit that holds the little ball bearings in place has come loose. So yeah it's relatively f*cked...xD I think they'll be easier to get out a second time round, I think why they were so difficult to get out was because they hadn't been taken out in a long time. I bought it second hand from a mountainboarding website, and it was covered in mud when I got it. I assume by that that it wasn't looked after all that well...Thanks again,
Dan

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”